IP timing question (I have searched!!!!!)

broke

TDI
03 Jetta Beater
Been a lurker for years. Love you guys! Love the community!

Long story short, TB broke while driving, car sat for about a year. I finally got it and have the timing belt put on. Everything is spinning freely by hand. Even hear the compression building and releasing. I may have lucked out.

The car still doesn’t want to start. I’m concerned I am not locking the IP in the correct “just get it started” position. My question is this...

When the cam and crank are locked in TDC, what position should the IP pin be placed for it to be in time? I am doing this after the belt broke so it’s not as easy as I’ve been finding where everything was already in time. I’ve read that the pin should be placed around 1 o’clock on the pulley. I can’t seem to find a position anywhere near 1 o’clock where the pin slips all the way in to lock it. The closest I get is around 2 o’clock but the pulley still rotates quite a bit with the pin in. Am I explaining that well enough?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just need my beater MPG machine back on the road! Thanks in advance!

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Been a lurker for years. Love you guys! Love the community!

Long story short, TB broke while driving, car sat for about a year. I finally got it and have the timing belt put on. Everything is spinning freely by hand. Even hear the compression building and releasing. I may have lucked out.

The car still doesn’t want to start. I’m concerned I am not locking the IP in the correct “just get it started” position. My question is this...

When the cam and crank are locked in TDC, what position should the IP pin be placed for it to be in time? I am doing this after the belt broke so it’s not as easy as I’ve been finding where everything was already in time. I’ve read that the pin should be placed around 1 o’clock on the pulley. I can’t seem to find a position anywhere near 1 o’clock where the pin slips all the way in to lock it. The closest I get is around 2 o’clock but the pulley still rotates quite a bit with the pin in. Am I explaining that well enough?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just need my beater MPG machine back on the road! Thanks in advance!

Did you follow these guidelines

http://pics3.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broke

TDI
03 Jetta Beater
I haven’t seen this PDF!!! How? I swear I have been searching for over a week before starting the TB change!!!! And now three days of searching for IP timing. Ugh

I am so sorry guys. It looks from that picture that the pin is more like 12 o’clock on the pulley. I will give it a shot and see what happens!

Thank you guys. Hopefully it was just something as simple as this and will have another TDI back on the road.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I haven’t seen this PDF!!! How? I swear I have been searching for over a week before starting the TB change!!!! And now three days of searching for IP timing. Ugh

I am so sorry guys. It looks from that picture that the pin is more like 12 o’clock on the pulley. I will give it a shot and see what happens!

Thank you guys. Hopefully it was just something as simple as this and will have another TDI back on the road.

Yes it should line up with the square boss on the injection pump just like the picture

Let us know how you make out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just checking that you've had the head off and fixed the valve damage, before attempting a re-start?

You may already know this, but if the belt broke while the engine was running valves will have been damaged... no way around this...it's an interference engine and at least one valve is always in position to meet a piston. They may be sealing now but their heads have been compromised and they can let go later, grenading the engine.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Like I posted in another thread, if you can slide the pin in/out easily...the pin isn't in the proper locking location. I typically have to wiggle the big 22mm nut with a wrench a bit to twist/insert the IP locking pin.
It's such a tight fit that there's actually a vent hole in the official (and metalnerd) tools.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The lower picture in post 2 shows how far the lolly pop has to go in.
If you don't get it in that far you may have hit the sucker hole.
I did that on one of my belt changes.

You did have the 3 bolts loose on the pump?
Do not loosen the center nut.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just checking that you've had the head off and fixed the valve damage, before attempting a re-start?
You may already know this, but if the belt broke while the engine was running valves will have been damaged... no way around this...it's an interference engine and at least one valve is always in position to meet a piston. They may be sealing now but their heads have been compromised and they can let go later, grenading the engine.

^^^^What he said^^^^^
Car will run.....but will grenade later.....cheaper now to either fix or replace the head at a minimum 1 to 2 valves have hit.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Another one bites the dust, post valve-meets-pistons:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=506433

Vince points to the problem I’m having right now. My daughter has had this car for two years and put about 40k miles on it. The engine was in perfect time when I checked so initially I thought I didn’t have a timing problem.

Apparently before my daughter bought the car someone had a very small event, perhaps they did the belt replacement themselves started the car and realized something was wrong.

At any rate the pictures tell the story of what happens when you don’t take care of the problem.