anyway of checking mileage authenticity on newer vws?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'm curious, is there any way of checking mileage authenticity on mk6 cars? (and newer for that matter). I used to do cluster swaps on mk4s and changing mileage was a piece of cake, however the ecu would store the original kms as it was separate from what the cluster displayed. I would like to know if I can check anywhere to see if KM are original on a MK6. I plan on buying one in the future and I know that changing mileage on mk6s is super easy, so I want to know if there's a way to verify it's not been tampered with

NOTE: I never tampered with mileage, I always put the original KMs when I did cluster changes

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Simple answer is yes. Mileage is stored in the instrument cluster (as you noted), but it is also stored in the ECU. With VCDS (or similar tool) you can compare the two different numbers to see if they agree.

Have Fun!

Don

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Simple answer is yes. Mileage is stored in the instrument cluster (as you noted), but it is also stored in the ECU. With VCDS (or similar tool) you can compare the two different numbers to see if they agree.

Have Fun!

Don
That's the thing, I have obdeleven which is basically vcds, and on my old mk7 there was no way to check ecu mileage, at least not that I knew of then

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Obviously not like VCDS then.
Yes, it is...

If I must state the obvious here, as far as I know, there is NO way of verifying mileage on newer gen VWs (Mk6 and up)... this is based on the little info I found on the ross tech forums with very outdated info. I was hoping that maybe someone here who modifies clusters and tweaks with electrical stuff may have found a way