My friend has a high IQ

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
His IQ is around 9.
He has bumped the top of the pump all the way to the right.
We got the timing on the blue line.
Tried adjusting the adaptation, could only go up to 32784.
That brought IQ down to around 8.2.
What's wrong here?
What's our next trick?

A little more info:
He put an 11mm pump where there was a 10mm pump.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Search “hammer mod”, that’s how you manually bring the IQ back down. There are you tube video how to’s also.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You may have loosened the wrong screws, only the security screw on top, the other three below. Mark the screws with some ink so that you can torque them back where they were also. You won’t have to back them off much

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dont go whacking too hard. Dont force it. Too many owners have bent the IQ plunger cam. If I remeber right it's to the driver side to raise and to the passenger side to lower.
Also it's not the bolts on the top cover. It's the lower bolts. I think it's an 8 or a 9mm that you can just tap over on the triangle bolt. Buy a cheep socket. I've done it about 50 times and never damaged anything. I did strip out 2 of those triangle bolt tools. Never again

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
And if your friend really does have a high IQ, he should have no trouble processing all this information

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
OK, I'll check what bolts he loosened when sliding the top over.
Maybe he didn't loosen the right bolts.
He should probably have a set of seals on hand.

I have the special socket and have moved the QA before.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good way to tell if you loosened the right bolts is if you had to use the IP tool https://www.idparts.com/injection-pump-triangle-tool-p-475.html on one of them. If not, you didn't. And if you do it right you won't need seals. Just be careful to loosen the pump head just enough to tap it over. If it starts to leak you've gone too far.