Help diagnosing ticking sound

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
Hi Guys,
I have noticed a ticking noise at idle that was not apparent 2 weeks ago. The car has been sitting for 2 weeks ever since my work got moved to remote due to the coronavirus. I have attached two videos: The first video is from a few years ago. The second video is from yesterday (w/ the ticking noise). I am wondering if this ticking noise stands out to anyone. I am trying to figure out where I should start in diagnosing this. Not sure if you will be able to tell the difference in the sound based on the video. I have driven this car for the last 7 years and it just does not sound right. Please let me know.

few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR6zeOXfp6g

current:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ4OpAlCqKk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Can't hear it well... quick thing to check - spray soapy water around the base of the injectors. Leaking copper gaskets will sound like lifter clatter.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My very unscientific opinion is that it is a lifter tick... but it could be an injection pump.

You may be better able to isolate it by using a stethoscope.

Being that it has been sitting, I would lean more towards a lifter not pumping up, in which case it should most likely go away once it gets warmed up and driven some. You can also hold it at about 2500 RPMs for a minute or so to see if it goes away.

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
My very unscientific opinion is that it is a lifter tick... but it could be an injection pump.
You may be better able to isolate it by using a stethoscope.
Being that it has been sitting, I would lean more towards a lifter not pumping up, in which case it should most likely go away once it gets warmed up and driven some. You can also hold it at about 2500 RPMs for a minute or so to see if it goes away.
I did drive it about a mile down the road and turned around and went home. The car just started to build heat so it was nowhere near operating temp. The sound is less obvious now but still there. Am I running the risk of doing more damage by driving it? Or do you think I should drive it until it reaches operating temperature and address from there?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
My vote is for compression leak from the injectors. Spray the area where the injectors go into the head heavily with soapy water and see if any of them bubble/ spurt. If not, it is likely caused by lifters. Exhaust leaks can also tick, but don't think that's it.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
A ticking noise??
Checked engine compartment for a bomb? hehe

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I agree with OilHammer. The noise is more a uneven engine sound, like a weak cylinder. If a cam follower has slightly collapsed you can hear it and compression test for it.

I never did have a stethoscope, but a long screwdriver to the ear is a reasonable substitute. Or I've attached a hose to a dowel rod to sneak around the engine compartment listening for noises. If it's an injector, you can get right next to it and hear it. The screwdriver on the I.P. will declare itself loudly.