Help chasing electrical parasite

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
So, with all this extra time not driving anywhere lately and a 2003 Jetta just sitting parked, the electrical parasites drained my battery dead within a week or so. I got it all charged back up and began testing today.

When I connect the meter in-line from battery to the (-) post, after 10-15 seconds it reads 400 mA constant. When I disconnect the interior relay on the battery fuse box. there is no current draw.

Using the TSB 27 08 04, moving to the interior fuse box and with the door open, but latch closed (2 clicks) and doors locked by remote, I am reading that FUSE 14 has 2.3mV drop. This is the only interior fuse that shows any voltage reading across the fuses. The TSB matrix diagram I interpret as meaning 327mA current draw. This fuse 14 is interior lights, central locking system. I keep my interior lights switch in the middle "off" setting, and they usually don't come on at all.

My question is, Now What?!? I assume these results mean that some light somewhere is shorting out? Do I just pull them all out one-by-one until the V drop goes away? Better plan or way to run this troubleshoot? Any comments or links are appreciated. Thanks in advance. Plenty of time to finally figure this out over here...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would check as much connects and wires on that circuit. Just pulling bulbs won't find a short, but it will find any that are turned on w/burned out bulb, which you may have already ruled out.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Are you having issues with switches in your door locks?

Every now and then I'd see one of my map lights barely lit, sometimes I would have to start the car and shut it back down to cure it, cycling the key didn't do anything usually.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, I would think Central Locking is a likely suspect. IDK enough about it, but if you can disconnect any of that, might give a clue.

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Glovebox light was off when i opened it. I also worked on the glovebox not long ago. Disconnected the light after taking box out and the V drop went away. Battery (-) terminal in-line detection with 10A setting shows 10mA after 10-15 seconds. Thanks, guys.

New question though. I don't detect any voltage in the connector to the glovebox light, car locked or not?! Is the connector shorted then? Can you buy new ones if I cut this one off to test the wires directly? I tried sticking the voltmeter in the back of the connector where you can see some metal on the wires as they go in the plastic, but no 12v detection? its like it died further upstream or something?

EDIT: There is weird locking behavior. I was just sitting there and car seemed twice to just lock on its own. Keys were in my pocket, but I don't think I pushed it accidentally.
EDIT 2: Yeah, car is just locking itself after 15-30 seconds now. Hmmmm.... now what? Is this a CPU reset of a feature from being dead battery long time?
EDIT 3: It is exactly 30 seconds after unlocking, the car locks itself.

Last edited:

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Are you opening the door before it locks back? That is a safety feature if the door isn't opened. My old Beetle would do the same thing with or without opening the door. The computer doesn't see that the driver's door has been opened. If I opened the passenger door everything would play nicely. Check that the door switch is reading that the door is opening. I think you can check that with VagCom. My wife's vert had a issue like that but couldn't find the problem even after changing the door lock unit. It wasn't until the window motor went out in the passenger door and found water intrusion in the computer card in the door motor. New motor and everything started working like magic.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
If the computer/module doesn't detect that you've opened the door, it will automatically lock it, I guess as a theft deterrent. This is usually a bad switch in the door module (look up the $3 door fix). However, since you also have a drain, it may be something else wrong with the module or wiring. Alternatively, you have 2 problems.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You'll save yourself a ton of effort if you track down the official VW Technical Service Bulletin in my sig and narrow down the parasitic drain step-by-step with your multimeter.

The "ammeter in series with the battery" method is challenged at best on CANBUS cars with sleeping convenience modules. :)

EDIT: missed the middle where you were using the TSB... good on ya!

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Turning the ignition on and off will also prevent the re-lock.

If the driver door switch that indicates open is bad that's what causes the re-lock.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Turning the ignition on and off will also prevent the re-lock.

If the driver door switch that indicates open is bad that's what causes the re-lock.
Or opening a door that doesn't have the door lock module problem. My driver rear door doesn't so I end up opening that.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So, with all this extra time not driving anywhere lately and a 2003 Jetta just sitting parked, the electrical parasites drained my battery dead within a week or so. I got it all charged back up and began testing today.

When I connect the meter in-line from battery to the (-) post, after 10-15 seconds it reads 400 mA constant. When I disconnect the interior relay on the battery fuse box. there is no current draw.

Using the TSB 27 08 04, moving to the interior fuse box and with the door open, but latch closed (2 clicks) and doors locked by remote, I am reading that FUSE 14 has 2.3mV drop. This is the only interior fuse that shows any voltage reading across the fuses. The TSB matrix diagram I interpret as meaning 327mA current draw. This fuse 14 is interior lights, central locking system. I keep my interior lights switch in the middle "off" setting, and they usually don't come on at all.

My question is, Now What?!? I assume these results mean that some light somewhere is shorting out? Do I just pull them all out one-by-one until the V drop goes away? Better plan or way to run this troubleshoot? Any comments or links are appreciated. Thanks in advance. Plenty of time to finally figure this out over here...
Do you have an aftermarket radio?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Another direction is the radio amp. My son's Beetle has a problem with the Monsoon amplifier. If he doesn't pull the fuse to it, dead battery in no time.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Another direction is the radio amp. My son's Beetle has a problem with the Monsoon amplifier. If he doesn't pull the fuse to it, dead battery in no time.
^ That usually happens with an aftermarket radio. Monsoon amp won't turn off if not told to. I ended up having to go to a different amp for my radio.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glovebox light was off when i opened it. I also worked on the glovebox not long ago. Disconnected the light after taking box out and the V drop went away. Battery (-) terminal in-line detection with 10A setting shows 10mA after 10-15 seconds.
Glove box light light gets power from fuse 1 all the time.
Black / brown wire.

Other side goes to the switch.
Gray / brown.

The switch grounds under the left side of the dash.

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
yeah, the parasitic drain is still there. with the meter on 10A setting, inline to (-) and waiting 10-15 secs, it is back to hover around 0.39-0.4 which is a lot. I think:

1) apparent fix I observed earlier was random but at some times it goes down to 0.001 inline at the battery. ALSO AT THIS TIME there was 0.0 VOLT DROP on fuse 14!

2) I see the key needs to be ON to function the glovebox light. Oops! thanks Jokila! Also, my stereo is the stock factory monsoon set and I don't detect any current on any of those fuses.

3) the door locks 30 seconds thing was a Vag-Com setting (AUTO LOCK) The behavior was reset after sitting with no power I guess.

4) door switches on both front doors are borked and have been for a long time. There were also some faults on VAG COM central locking module. I think they were intermittent voltage to all four door locks or something like that. I'd read them now, but the battery is dead again. It takes 3 days or less to die I guess. ShEEESh!

Taken together, I think this means the door switches problem I've had for a long time is a very likely suspect. That these behave erratically as well is in keeping with the apparent erratic solution to the problem I observed earlier. I'm going to double check all the panel fuses again and go from there. Likely tearing the doors down, and its raining today. great...

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Ouch! I just ran a VAG COM auto scan and showed a bunch of Fault Codes. Yikes!! Is this a bad module? Maybe a short in the line of the module? I ran this a day ago and didn't get the passenger locking F221 error. So, now 6 codes here. Hmmmm?

Address 46: Central Conv.
Controller: 1C0 959 799 C
Component: 1H Komfortgerát HLO 0003
Coding: 00259
Shop #: WSC 00066
6 Faults Found:
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
53-10 - Supply Voltage Too Low - Intermittent
00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking: Front Passenger Side (F221)
54-10 - Incorrectly Equipped - Intermittent
01331 - Door Control Module: Driver Side (J386)
01332 - Door Control Module: Passenger Side (J387)
01333 - Door Control Module: Rear Left (J388)
01334 - Door Control Module: Rear Right (J398)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Save it. Clear the codes and see what comes back.
If you disconnected some fuses or the battery itself the modules know it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2) I see the key needs to be ON to function the glovebox light. Oops! thanks Jokila! Also, my stereo is the stock factory monsoon set and I don't detect any current on any of those fuses.
I think the light in mine worked w/o the key.
Not positive about it.

It should be hooked to fuse 1.

Some have posted that disconnecting both battery cables and shorting them together for several seconds has cleared some problems.

With you diagnosing keep in mind that some devices in the car do have power for a brief time after exiting the car.
Some for several minutes.

From the low currents in your 1st post I do not think they will be there 5 minutes after removing the key.

Try opening the drivers door and closing the latch with a large phillips screw driver (2 clicks) and waiting several minutes before measuring the fuse drop voltage.

Last, how old is your battery and is it the correct group 94?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I think the CCM will timeout completely after 60 mins (this is why if you leave your interior light on, it will turn off automatically, same with the factory radio). You should wait until then to do battery tests. If you open a door, that timer is reset.

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Fuse 4 was blown, the license plate lights. Voltage drop 0.3 mV was detected that would randomly go as high as 3.1mV, sometimes 0.0mV. The computer may actually sense the fuse being inserted by measuring Vdrop on fuse 4's blown contacts (without actually removing the fuse) and waking. Wire harness in the left trunk area was frayed. It had been chopped by the trunk hinge years ago and repaired poorly. I soldered all these wires and shrink sealed. The trunk lock and the trunk switch are on this harness and everything there is good now. Fuse 4 was replaced and I re-performed the TSB_27_08_04_Matrix protocol.

In the sleep state, (connect battery, open door, close latch (2 clicks), lock remote, wait 2 HOURS, YES 2 HOURS!!!) the only vdrop measured now is 0.3-0.4 mV at fuse 14. This corresponds to about 50 mA in the matrix table give or take. This is technically above the nominal sleep current of 40mA for my model. I'm guessing that its okay because its only 10mA difference. Is this actually an okay current measure in sleep?

As well, I have concern about the radio system fuse 42 that was dropping 0.3 mV yesterday when checking (a couple hundred milliamps), but out of the sleeping state probably. Going to unlock car, wait 2 hours with doors closed and then check. We'll see.

Is there a hood position switch on 2003 Jetta? I was concerned open hood affecting the sleep.

Does the computer ever sleep without being locked/armed? I don't usually lock it because alarm goes off sometimes. I guess it wouldn't matter that its awake if the radio/amp didn't draw current improperly. Hmm. I'll repost when I see what fuses are drawing after a few hours unlocked car.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does the computer ever sleep without being locked/armed? I don't usually lock it because alarm goes off sometimes. I guess it wouldn't matter that its awake if the radio/amp didn't draw current improperly. Hmm. I'll repost when I see what fuses are drawing after a few hours unlocked car.
I'm pretty sure it does.
If it didn't then there would be more of a current draw.

From your original post:
'electrical parasites drained my battery dead within a week or so.'

How old is the battery and is it the correct group 94?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Is there a hood position switch on 2003 Jetta? I was concerned open hood affecting the sleep.
If the hood latch is the same part as on my 2002, then there's at least a microswitch on that to tell the alarm system whether the hood is open/closed. it's on the front of the latch - pop the grille off and have a look, it'll be on the left (passenger) side of the latch as you're standing in front of the car looking at it.

Mine recently got stuck in the "hood closed" state, allowing me to arm the alarm with the hood open. Not sure whether there's additional monitoring going on if the hood's left open or not, but you could always use a small screwdriver to push the switch down into the closed position for your test...

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Battery is a 2017 AGM Napa legend 9894r. Group 94. 800 CCA. Got the expensive agm charger too. I think my problem is solved once the front door latches get repaired and stop waking the car, calling for internal lights, etc.