1999 vr6 golf, alternator/ starter wiring

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Hi all , maybe wrong forum, but maybe someone will know , had to drop trans to do clutch, and I can,t remember where all the wires go,the main battery ground cable bolts to the engine block, the main battery + cable goes to the starter +post, but there is one larger cable that looks like it comes from the alternator, this big wire in this picture is down by the starter come thought that plastic wire holder that is bu the cooling fan motor, is this the alternator + lead and does it connect to the starter + post as well as the battery + wire ?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes, you are correct, it connects at the starter and goes out to the alternator.

The eyelet on the right and one of the small plugs is for the starter and the solenoid connection. The eyelet on the left and a double wire connector is for the alternator. The extra connection on left (and right) I believe is to connect the AC compressor to the main wiring harness.

EDIT: I might be wrong about that, the single wire connectors are for AC compressor, one at compressor and the other at the harness. The double wire connectors are for alternator and only one of the big eyelets connects at the starter, the other one is at the alternator. Basically the small wires are extensions of the main harness to reach the AC compressor and alternator.

Steve

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Yes, you are correct, it connects at the starter and goes out to the alternator.

The eyelet on the right and one of the small plugs is for the starter and the solenoid connection. The eyelet on the left and a double wire connector is for the alternator. The extra connection on left (and right) I believe is to connect the AC compressor to the main wiring harness.

EDIT: I might be wrong about that, the single wire connectors are for AC compressor, one at compressor and the other at the harness. The double wire connectors are for alternator and only one of the big eyelets connects at the starter, the other one is at the alternator. Basically the small wires are extensions of the main harness to reach the AC compressor and alternator.

Steve

Ok , thanks Steve, the other issue I have is I !ucked up and installed the battery backwards, went to connect my + wire to battery and it sparked like crazy, I realized what I did right away. corrected the issue + to positive and - to negative, seems ok but it will not crank, turn key fuel pump comes on, lights work, but will not crank. I checked the one wire connection at the solenoid on the starter, it does not have power, if I run a wire from battery to the one pin connector on the starter solenoid it cranks over. so did I do something by connoting battery up wrong??? or what. I will start tomorrow by checking the red wire in the clutch peddle switch to see if there is power or not, if not if must be the ignition switch, if there is power to and from the clutch switch then the problem is more down the system, ONE THING I SHOULD SAY IS THAT THE CAR ALARM KEEPS GOING OFF, I have to disconnect the battery to reset it, did I do something to course the immobilizer system to activate and this is locking starter out, if so how do I reset it , I did not get a key fob with the car ? Thanks for any input

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Ok , thanks Steve, the other issue I have is I !ucked up and installed the battery backwards, went to connect my + wire to battery and it sparked like crazy, I realized what I did right away. corrected the issue + to positive and - to negative, seems ok but it will not crank, turn key fuel pump comes on, lights work, but will not crank. I checked the one wire connection at the solenoid on the starter, it does not have power, if I run a wire from battery to the one pin connector on the starter solenoid it cranks over. so did I do something by connoting battery up wrong??? or what. I will start tomorrow by checking the red wire in the clutch peddle switch to see if there is power or not, if not if must be the ignition switch, if there is power to and from the clutch switch then the problem is more down the system, ONE THING I SHOULD SAY IS THAT THE CAR ALARM KEEPS GOING OFF, I have to disconnect the battery to reset it, did I do something to course the immobilizer system to activate and this is locking starter out, if so how do I reset it , I did not get a key fob with the car ? Thanks for any input
If the immobilizer is going off, the car won't start. That's the whole point of it. What you need to do is connect the battery, then lock and unlock the door with the key, that's supposed to reset the immobilizer. I think there's some way to bypass it, but I haven't done it myself. Someone else who has done it before may chime in, but search is your friend!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
If the immobilizer is going off, the car won't start. That's the whole point of it. What you need to do is connect the battery, then lock and unlock the door with the key, that's supposed to reset the immobilizer. I think there's some way to bypass it, but I haven't done it myself. Someone else who has done it before may chime in, but search is your friend!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Yes thanks you , I found this last night , going to try it this morning .http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/alarmcentralhelp/alarmhelp2.htm

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Ok , how that I got that working, car starts and runs fine , but now I don,t have a tach or fuel level or water temp gauges, all fuses are good under dash. the time and odometer is lite up when key is off, but when you turn the key to run the go out, also if you push the button to reset mileage the temp and fuel gauges bounces up and down ?

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Sorry , I did not know where to post this , its for a 1999 golf VR6 manual, I found the problem, when reinstalling everything and connecting wire connectors back up, I installed the two little ground wires up by the driver side intake manifold brace ( There is a little stud with a nut that the two little ground cables connect too ) and I did not tighten the nut up , as so as I did this tack, fuel and temp. gauge are working again.