2004 Jetta BEW Front End Collision Repair

steve12588

TDI
2004 MKIV BEW Jetta
In rush hour this past Friday I was in a collision and I would like to repair this car. Im trying to find the most economical way to get it back on the road.
Off the top of my head I would need a bumper, hood, fender, headlights, radiator assembly, intercooler and piping. If anybody has any insight into what would be involved...

https://imgur.com/a/0DfUDgQ

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
In rush hour this past Friday I was in a collision and I would like to repair this car. Im trying to find the most economical way to get it back on the road.
Off the top of my head I would need a bumper, hood, fender, headlights, radiator assembly, intercooler and piping. If anybody has any insight into what would be involved...

https://imgur.com/a/0DfUDgQ
All that above, plus AC condenser, AC dryer, core support, grille, belly pan, hood latch(?)... Pretty much every front end part. Most all the parts are the same on a Jetta regardless of engine, so that will aid in finding parts

Good thing is if you wanted to do a Golf front end swap, now would be an opportune time.

Last edited:

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
Where in CT?

I stripped a bunch of stuff off of my landlord’s wagon before sending it off to the scrap yard, so I’ve got some of the parts you’ll need. Bumper, grille, and fender (I’ll have to check which side I have) are blue though.

Got the core support and structural portion of the bumper, radiator, possibly the latch and one of the fans. I have an intercooler if you need that too (tucked in just ahead of the wheel liner). The hood and condenser are at a salvage yard up the road. The system was charged, but they should have recovered the refrigerant before putting it in the yard. They’ll pull all the parts for you for cheap.

I’d pull the fender to verify that the damage wasn’t structural and only effected the feder sheet metal.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
May not need ac condenser and receiver dryer.....all depends if it’s cracked, if not than don’t touch it.
Pretty much every else posted above.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
First thing I'd do is verify there is no frame/chassis damage. All the other stuff should be readily available. The few TDI bits will be harder to find. car-part.com

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You really need to get it apart to have a better idea of what you are dealing with. And that part is easy, and costs you nothing aside from some time, which won't be a whole lot really.

Your pictures really do not show much of the nitty gritty detail. Once the front end is stripped off, you can see things that are the more crucial meat and potatoes things like the unibody rail alignments as well as any of the inner fender supports. Also if the fender came back and contacted the door. That can mean more work will be involved in fixing it (like a pull).

Picture for reference (this is a 1.8t car, with a Jatco slushbox, but the body is the same):

Note the two flat ends of each unibody rail, those are the key spots to look at. The lock carrier assembly and bumper all attach there. If one or both of those is bent, then it will require more work. If they survived, then chances are most everything else is just a R&R affair. The only other thing is that inner fender support structure, although since you do not SEE that, you can often work the metal back out enough so that the replacement fender will properly attach, and you'll never know from the outside.

Last edited:

steve12588

TDI
2004 MKIV BEW Jetta
thanks for all the responses, found a 99 tdi to swap the parts from, car is at a body shop the passenger frame rail needs a straightening