DSG Service Interval change????

Gamecock1

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I had my 2011 JSW at a dealer yesterday, taking advantage of my Goodwill dealer card. The SA recommended a DSG service (the car has 55k miles). I told him it was done at 40K IAW the recommended service interval. He said "it's been bumped to 50k miles, so your next one will be due at 90K miles".
I cannot find any reliable info on this. Does anyone have a VW reference point on this?
Thanks

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I have seen some anecdotes about "extended change intervals," but nothing from VW. One person has a thread where he said his Jetta got its first DSG service at 188K, and was running fine. I personally wouldn't care to test this interval on our Passat. I did the service myself at 40K, and will plan for the next one at 80K.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I was privy to the mileage extension discussion 4 years ago at a dealership in Washington, DC, as VWoA was considering it. For whatever reason, the decision came down to keep it at 40k miles.
Someone here (maybe several someones?) has proposed initial change at 40k, with subsequent changes more extended. How much? Tough call. No one wants to replace at very expensive transmission.
Interesting that your dealer would weigh in on the 50k interval.

kevinbud

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I have changed my DSG fluid between 35-40 thousand miles on my 2011 tdi golf. I have 214000 miles on the car and knock on wood it still shifts great.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^Did you just make that up???:p

Of course, it's always a "trust but verify" issue. However, the discussion about moving to 50k mile changes was from VWoA. (I have no proof, other than 3 separate dealerships telling me this, as well as 2 different indy shops.)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
it would be nice to see some paperwork.

VW has a well-established system of technical service bulletins (TSB).

and if there was some discussion on extending the interval, it seems not to have made it into any practice.

compare this with the timing belt interval, which increased a couple years ago from 120k to 130k miles. (as reflected in service schedules)

so the "made it up" comment is directed at whoever the op talked to.

there is a difference between some "is considering" semi-rumors which i suspect were put in some service newsletter or such, and a decision by VW to extend the interval

folks have honestly mis-remembered details, but the service guy at a dealer should base advise on facts. otherwise, why go see them.

(and for reference, the first time this came up, I had a chat with the VW customer service folks (online), which confirmed my suspicion that they exist only to steer you to the dealer. pretty much they said that the dealer can recommend extended service intervals, or lower service intervals. pretty much make stuff up.)

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Vw moved the auto trans to 50k. They did not move the DSG. It is 40k. Dealers have been messing this up for years now.