Radiator fans

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I've been driving my 2002 jetta around to test my new engine, and I noticed my cooling fans never kick on, even when the engine is up to temp... however, it's only 45*f out and rainy...

I followed the test here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699
and shorted out pins 2&3 on the temp sensor and my fans kicked on high, 1&2 kicked on in slow.
Now, my AC has never had refrigerant in it, it sprung a leak before I owned the car and it never got hot enough here for me to bother doing anything about it... does that AC lockout /just/ affect the AC circuit? (My bentley is for a 1999 beetle, the doner car for the engine and I'm not confident the wiring is the same.) I am assuming that this wouldn't prevent the fans from kicking on in the summer when the engine needs a little extra help cooling off... correct?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
...which generally only happens on a hot summer day. :)

System is well-engineered to work with normal loads and airflows and the fans are rarely required. If you've been able to confirm they work electrically you're probably fine.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would absolutely agree, it should only stop the AC clutch from engaging the compressor.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk