www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 22nd, 2020, 14:41   #1
Faygo1.9

Fuel Economy: 50
Default Custom turbo 1.9 bew tdi Holset

Hello little introduction, here is my 1.9 tdi I picked up stock for $1000 3 months ago I ended up getting a custom tune from Jeff and upgraded my injectors, pd 150 from Uk eBay for $150 shipped low mileage. I ended up snapping the exhaust wheel off the turbo rebuilt the engine bigger and better at that point why go stock turbo so I said go big or go home made my own oil lines with -4 an oil supply -10 oil drain. Originally went with a Holset h1c I was having issues with it I canít get it to build more than 2 psi I believe it has plenty of fueling, that was on my stock turbo tune with pd150 injectors mapped in Jeff told me to do some data logs with that tune and the results werenít that good only made 2 psi not sure what the issue was. So I ended up swapping it for a different Holset with a smaller exhaust side hx40. That seems to be doing better still waiting for a revised tune with maf delete and smart actuator delete. Not sure how much boost this setup is making but it definitely spools higher than the other turbo. Any suggestions? Iíve checked for exhaust leaks boost leaks, I put a restrictor in the oil feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Faygo1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2020, 16:11   #2
Dh4276
Veteran Member

Why are you trying to run such a big turbo. The smaller one you have listed is for 7-10 Liter motors! When it comes to turbos, bigger is not better. You have to have enough flow to spin the turbo and with the location it looks like you have moved it to, you probably canít get enough flow to spool it up fully.

I believe you just have way too big a turbo for that 1.9!

Dh4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2020, 16:51   #3
Faygo1.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dh4276 View Post
Why are you trying to run such a big turbo. The smaller one you have listed is for 7-10 Liter motors! When it comes to turbos, bigger is not better. You have to have enough flow to spin the turbo and with the location it looks like you have moved it to, you probably canít get enough flow to spool it up fully.

I believe you just have way too big a turbo for that 1.9!

The new turbo I put on has a smaller exhaust side than the original turbo it works now, I was only building 2psi with the old setup

Old March 22nd, 2020, 17:00   #4
Dh4276
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo1.9 View Post
The new turbo I put on has a smaller exhaust side than the original turbo it works now, I was only building 2psi with the old setup

I looked up the hx40 and it is listed for a much bigger motor than what your running. I donít think you can get the velocity you need to spin even it. There is just not enough engine for the turbo.

My brother ran into the same problem on a project he has been working on, too big of turbo created very little boost. After dropping size his last dump pull was 23.6 psi. Everything has to match to be able to work.

Old March 22nd, 2020, 17:00   #5
Faygo1.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dh4276 View Post
I looked up the hx40 and it is listed for a much bigger motor than what your running. I donít think you can get the velocity you need to spin even it. There is just not enough engine for the turbo.

My brother ran into the same problem on a project he has been working on, too big of turbo created very little boost. After dropping size his last dump pull was 23.6 psi. Everything has to match to be able to work.

What turbo did he end up going with?

Old March 22nd, 2020, 17:11   #6
Dh4276
Veteran Member

He is working with a company testing new models for a BMW. The theory still works though. Actually with the gas motors have a better chance of spinning a bigger turbo due to higher rev possibilities.

Ceramic bearings made a big difference as well. He went from twin turbos to a single and was actually able to make more boost by having a better exhaust flow and better matched turbo for the changes he had made.

Old March 22nd, 2020, 17:25   #7
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

My 5.9 liter Cummins had an HX35, smaller than the 40, and it was plenty of turbo for that engine. I have to agree with the others, that turbo is likely way too much for 1.9 liters even with a smaller exhaust collar.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2020, 17:25   #8
Faygo1.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicDoc View Post
My 5.9 liter Cummins had an HX35, smaller than the 40, and it was plenty of turbo for that engine. I have to agree with the others, that turbo is likely way too much for 1.9 liters even with a smaller exhaust collar.

Say I were too downsize what size turbo would you go with

Old March 22nd, 2020, 18:35   #9
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

Faygo1.9-

I wish you luck, beautiful car!

Side note: What are you using to host large/High def photos on here in the thread?
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2020, 18:37   #10
Faygo1.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzaV View Post
Faygo1.9-

I wish you luck, beautiful car!

Side note: What are you using to host large/High def photos on here in the thread?

I have a Sony a7rII camera Iím using taptalk app first time using it i just uploaded the pics to the forum

Old March 22nd, 2020, 19:45   #11
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo1.9 View Post
Say I were too downsize what size turbo would you go with

that depends on your goals. You have to decide what you want at the end to design your way. You can't work backwards lol. There's the VNT 17, or 17/22, 17/26, and some larger ones than those too. Larger turbos are slower to spool up and can be laggy. The hybrid models try to mitigate that.

I'm not a turbo expert, so I'll defer to others. You might want to look at the 17/26 for a good bit of power. Just realize that anything you do will require other supporting mods like bigger injectors, a stronger clutch, and a proper tune.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2020, 19:49   #12
Faygo1.9

Yeah I already have supporting mods just need do figure out what turbo I may try next

Old March 24th, 2020, 08:43   #13
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

Thank you!!!
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 11:21   #14
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: Very good

Go with 22/60 Vw turbo ,best big turbo you can have on OD 1.9 engine.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 with MK6 Cluster
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote