Here's one for ya.....

Rapidrob

Veteran Member
TDI
96' Passat Wagon
I'm driving 40 miles into Albuquerque and have driven 26 of the miles when I'm at the bottom of Nine Mile Hill leaving Abq.
The speed limit was 65 and goes to 75 MPH. I set the cruse control to 75 and start the climb up the hill. Almost immediately the car starts to slow down! WTH?. I pull into the truck lane as the car continues to drop speed. I have to drop into 4TH gear just to keep the car doing 55 MPH in a 75 zone.
I take the next exit after two additional miles and have to drive at 60 MPH for another 12 miles to meet up with my friends in the desert.
I dare not turn off the engine.
I roll down my windows and "floor" the accelerator. No turbo sound. No warning light. I dump the clutch and let the engine slow to idle as I see a good friend pull up behind me as we drive.
The engine idles like a champ. I let the clutch out and the car will do any speed I ask but no turbo.
I just filled up. Engine nice and warn and the car was flying into town. I just lost all power instantly.
I run through the possible causes: Seized tubo? Possible.... Rotted vacuum lines? No way, all brand new and silicone. Bad computer? no it would be dead. Did the timing belt jump a tooth? No it ran smoothly at idle. Bad fuel? No its diesel. It will run on darn near anything.

I meet up with my friends and shut the car down. I pop the hood and first thing I notice is that the hood insulation is in a huge ball in the center of the fabric cover. And low and behold,there are signs of a Pack Rat had just gotten tangled in the vacuum line bundle running at the back of the firewall and the little SOB had gnawed threw two lines going to the turbo like a laser beam! The increase in speed and the steep climb must have dumped it out of the hood insulation and onto the vacuum harness, it bit free and dropped out the bottom of the engine pan onto the Interstate.

I'm sure one of the many tractor-trailer rigs took care of the little beasty.

I was able to repair the vacuum line enough to make it home with no issues.
The liner is a mess and I doubt I can find another to replace it.
What is sad is the Pack Rat did it overnight!
I put out 16 traps and poison in my garage to get rid of the monsters as if you see one, there are many more.

Pack Rats ate the electrics out of my friends new Ford Diesel PU Truck and did 16,000 bucks worth of damage.
I got off easy this time.
Like I don't have enough to worry about with the Coronavirus, now I have to clean out all it's droppings and urine as they carry the Black Plague and the Hantavirus that is far more deadly to inhale.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
My brother has a good way of getting rid of them. He puts a little 2 cycle oil in his lawnmower gas and fires it up, letting it belch smoke and carbon monoxide into the air, then closes the garage door and walks away. It kills everything including the poisonous spiders he has in Kentucky. Says it works like a champ.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I don't fink pack rats carry Hantavirus. It's deer mice if I remember the training I had correctly.

But I think rather have the deer mice. At least they don't do as much damage.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
My brother has a good way of getting rid of them. He puts a little 2 cycle oil in his lawnmower gas and fires it up, letting it belch smoke and carbon monoxide into the air, then closes the garage door and walks away. It kills everything including the poisonous spiders he has in Kentucky. Says it works like a champ.
Does it leave a nasty film on everything?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Rob, be aware that all Passat cars from 1990 to 1997) used the underhood blanket, so that should make finding one a bit easier I would think. No guarantee what condition will be like, but since every model of B3 and B4 used it (same one) the odds are good that you'll find something.

Steve

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I have a good friend that lives in the hills of north Arkansas. Every October-ish the pack rats/wood rats start looking for a place to hole up for the winter, and love to get in vehicles exactly as the OP describes and wreak havoc. He told me he leaves the hood up when parked and they won’t get in there. I guess since it’s not an in closed place anymore, they don’t feel safe to call it home.