Clicking/loose steering B4

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
When I turn the steering wheel I hear clicking noises and feels as if something is binding up. Has anyone had issues with the universal joints or the column itself ? I replaced the lower arms, ball joints, tie rods, steering rack, control arm bushings, upper mounts and bearings and the noise is still there... Most of the items I replaced where in need of replacing anyways so it was like preventative maintenance and the rack was leaking. But I thought the noise and play in the wheel would go away but it steel feels sloppy.

Any ideas ? I'm bout to tear the covers off the column n have a looksie
Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is not something higher up, like the clockspring, is it?

The upper bearing is in the ignition lock cylinder housing, and can make some funky sounds too.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
It's deff not a clock spring, the clunking loose steering feels like a bad u joint or something.
Searched Google etc and nothing came up.
Car has over 400k on it and most gasser B4s probably would have never made that far to experience the clunking/loose steering

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well there is an upper and lower drive shaft in the steering, each having its own U-joint, and they slide together with one another.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Thanks Hammer ! I will dissect it next time I have some time... Maybe just get a tilt and telescoping column out of a diff VW in there.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The housing that holds the steering shaft upper bearing is clamped to the column with a security shear bolt that usually stretches and loosens. The effect is usually just a "rocking" steering wheel, but if loose enough maybe it can cause other symptoms. Doubtful, but worth a check if you're in there anyway.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I have the same issue on one of my B4s. My steering even trys to bind up sometimes turning hard at low speeds in a parking lot. I replaced my ps pump but no help. Mine only has 268k too so it's hardly broke in

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Had a pump go bad on mine last winter... So everything was replaced ! I'm gonna take it apart n figure out the issue.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
And you can duplicate clicking and binding when articulating the rack through its range of motion by turning @ the tire(s)? Engine on & engine off? With steering coupling disconnected?

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Noise/clicking isnt there with the column disconnected. I know for a fact cause I bleed the rack out when I installed it.

Gonna try to document whatever I find with pics, seems like somewhat of a common issue on these older B4s now.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I would be interested in what you find out. I'm getting a similar sound and feel (intermittent - can't always repeat it) which just started on mine (the one with over 400 as well). When I had it up on jacks this weekend I couldn't find culprit.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Alright yesterday I did some looking under the dash and it appears there is a bearing/bushing of some sort inside the column that wear out. Just as the steering shaft comes out of the column and meets with the U joint right by the firewall: there is a bearing/bushing in there that falls apart. I have approx 1/8" movement there and if I try to steer the wheel left n right I can see the shaft moving around in the column. Need to look up parts in ETKA to see if the parts are serviceable. Also the tamper proof bolts appear to be a bit on the loose side and need a tighten up.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Here is what you need to fix your loose wheel.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Passat/Body/126/1 and you get to keep your original ignition lock cylinder.

Also there is a bearing on the bottom of the column too.
http://golfgtiguides.co.uk/guides/fix-play-in-steering-wheel-mk2-golf/

Gonna see if the MK2 bearing is the same, I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Both bearings can be done w/o removing the steering column out of the car. I just had my steering wheel off last night and found my play to be up top and on the bottoms.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I have a similar issue...although on mine, it's the pivot bolt, near the bottom end of the column. I'm researching the fix, but could use some input.

Tony

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
With Rich Tremblay's help, I found out what my problem was. There is a rubber grommet in a strap that holds the steering rack to the car frame. The grommet is a little worn, so the bolts were loose. He tightened them up and the noise is gone, and steering is nice and tight again.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Did you guys ever get this sorted out? I'm starting to think it's not the PS punmp and is something binding. Its harder to turn left that right ?