Maryland Transportation Policy

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
It doesn't surprise me. Maryland is a blue state, therefore they like to tax the crap out of everyone so that they can have the government spoon feed them. I'm happy though that someone is telling Maryland to get their head out....

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
There should be no surprises here.

You are getting higher fuel efficiency with your car purchase? Translation: You are sticking it to the tax man by getting more miles per gallon! You must pay!

That's the impetus behind the GPS per-mile taxing experiments. It's great that all those Prius drivers are doing the Earth a favor when they get 50mpg, but they're screwing the tax man! This must not be permitted to happen!

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Well speaking as one of the people spending that gas tax money a "revenue increase" of some type is inevitable. Federal gas taxes last went up in 1994 and my state gas tax last went up in 1987. Both are based on a fixed number of cents per gallon. In 1994 a ton of asphalt was about $30 "installed", today it is $90 or more. Similar increases for concrete ect. Plus construction equipment runs on a "river of diesel". Add the expense of complying with EPA regulations and our infrastructure in terms of roads and bridges is in a death spiral. Virginias method ticked me off the most: tax the heck out of TDIs and give Prii a pass. Maybe somebody else can make 2+2=12.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
It doesn't surprise me. Maryland is a blue state, therefore they like to tax the crap out of everyone so that they can have the government spoon feed them. I'm happy though that someone is telling Maryland to get their head out....
Excpet booze. Taxes on alcohol haven't gone up one penny since the ealy '50s.

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
as long as their diesel is cheaper than it is in pa, i'll be crossing the boarder for it.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Well I've been in the area for over 35 years now, lived in MD for a time.......getting their head out hasn't happened yet & I see little chance.

You can actually spell Maryland in four letters F...A...I...L

Humorous was back when they built up 270.....thought "we'll be just like Tysons"...........ah, bummer no business wants anything to do with the state of "tax & fail".

................ Virginias method ticked me off the most: tax the heck out of TDIs and give Prii a pass. Maybe somebody else can make 2+2=12.
Not exactly. Now while I don't agree that taxing diesel at a higher wholesale rate is a good idea as even if you don't own a TDI it will cost you more for transportation of goods. They did tag the Pri-chits with a $100 fee, should have heard them whining about that :rolleyes: My question to them - so let's see you spent a few grand more for batteries but a $100 is the deal breaker? :D (remember this is the same group of asshats that feel "green" when they drive in the HOV lanes alone with their "special fuel" plates)

And really this highlights the differences between MD & VA. Both need money for transportation. VA chose to increase revenue (it may not be an ideal bill but they managed to get something done), everyone pays a bit more. MD on the other hand chose to float a bond & go further in debt - good call (see above about head & parts).

Last edited: