How To: Clean and 303 Protect your TDI Engine

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Here's shots of my engine bay after it was cleaned with:

Enter 303:

Follow these instructions from the 303 website LINK:
First, clean the engine. Then spray 303 Aerospace Protectant liberally to entire engine compartment, covering the rubber, plastic and painted surfaces. If you have an air hose, blow excess 303 down through the engine and dry surfaces completely with dry, clean, absorbent cloths to remove excess.

Note: Having an air hose is essential IMHO to doing this well because when the engine is covered in the 303 protectant you can move the 303 around by squirting the air - getting 303 into every nook and cranny. With an air hose you essentially can apply the 303 to all the tiny places that you could never reach if attempting to apply it manually.

If you don't have an air hose, let 303 stand for 5 min. then dry all surfaces. CAUTION: Use care to avoid getting water into distributor or unsealed electronic components.

A beautiful, perfectly clean engine! The 303 repellent will keep your engine looking great for months. And when your entire engine compartment finally needs cleaning again it'll just take you a few minutes to keep your engine components looking new.
And waa laa (i have to say that these pics do not do justice to how amazing the engine looks):

What I love about using 303 in the engine bay are:
  1. It enables you to achieve a like-new engine bay appearance.
  2. It is incredibly easy. Anyone seeing this without knowing about 303 would think I spent hours or days on this. I treated two engine bays with 303 in under 30 minutes!
  3. 303 conditions and protects all rubber, synthetic rubber and plastic engine bay components.
  4. 303, once applied, makes subsequent engine cleanings easier because 303 acts similarly to a coat of wax over all engine bay components.
Here's a pic of my Golf's PD100 after 303:

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
I use that stuff to protect latex drysuit seals and help them last longer ,I put it on with my fingers and it softens my hands .... very harmless stuff

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Very nice! I have been using 303 Protectorant for years and never thought about cleaning the engine compartment with it. Now you got me going....;)

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
i've been using 303 for years too, it's a great product, and just today i came across the engine bay application info on the 303 website. i came home and immediately did both my VWs. i'm so happy to have discovered this use for 303. :D

mow

TDI
98 nb
sunrg,
Hey when you wash the engine down ,do you have to worry about the electronics? man would i like to have mine look like that. also where can I get the 303?
thanks mow
ps I have a 98 nb with 171000 and counting. did tb 4 weeks ago, man was that a fun job .

Rawlins

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Wow. Easy way to make a car sale go that much smoother. I'm going to have to get me some of that (not to sell car, just to look awesome :)

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
The question is...how much horsepower did it add? ;)

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there

:D

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
great thread! IIRC there are several similar products on the market. can't remember the name of the one JasonTDI used after I had the TB job done. almost a year later and people are still telling me how clean it looks. the stuff Jason used on my car just sprays on... sits there while you drive to the DIY carwash (unless you've got a pressure washer)... and rinses right off with regular ol' water:cool:

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
TDICADDGUY said:
The question is...how much horsepower did it add? ;)

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there

:D
great song:)

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
SUNRG,
You motivated me; I did my spring engine clean today. I've been using 303 for a few years on the engine, but the tip on using the air is awesome; I never thought of that before.

As for the poster with the electronics question, I put a rag over the alternator, but that's it. I didn't used to, and I'm not worried it will get wet, but I'd rather not spray water directly into it. There's really not much to worry about on the ALH though.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Sip'n Diesel said:
great thread! IIRC there are several similar products on the market.
Based on what I've heard, 303 Aerospace Protectant is the best at what it does. FWIW, a one-gallon container is the most economical way to buy it.

I've never heard of it being used the way SUNRG used it, but it seems worth a try... except I don't have a compressor.

As for using Gunk Engine Degreaser... my engine is reasonably clean already, just from getting sprayed at the car wash every month or two.

I think I'll save the 303 for the car's interior.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
very nice. i may have to try this... :)