Noob Questions

dicky_morris

TDI
1.9 tdi mk3 Golf
Ok, i currently own a mk3 8v gti and i love her to bits but the milage is killing me at the moment so i am looking at getting a daily derv.. I have found a cheap derv on the internet but it has a few faults and i was wondering if you guys could help me out...

Heres what they list the problems to be..

BAD BITS:
Something has happened so that it cuts out when you stop at lights unless you pull the cold start out. Dont know what this means.
It smokes some when you first start it but someone told me that it might just need the fuel or oil filter changed...
The bonnet has a dent (as you can see from the pics) and is bent but it still locks and has never come up when driving. It was like this when I bought it but has never been a problem.
Half of the back of the back seat does not lock.
Central locking does not work but all doors lock and unlock individually.

Now i know on the Gti there is a few issues with the crankposition sensor/the fuel relay and the ecu relay that can cause the car to cut out when pulling up to lights, could this be a probable cause for the derv to act in this way??

With regards to the car smoking on start up? could it just need a good engine flush and clean out... or is this a common mk3 fault??

heres the car in question..

and heres my gti at the moment

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
dicky_morris said:
BAD BITS:
Something has happened so that it cuts out when you stop at lights unless you pull the cold start out. Dont know what this means.
It smokes some when you first start it but someone told me that it might just need the fuel or oil filter changed...
This tells me that the car is a 1.9TD. The TDI does not have a manual cold start injection pump advance. I have a feeling the cutting out is related to the injection pump not being in proper time.

Smoke at start up can be normal or could be caused by lots of things. I would not be surprised if you fix the cutting out, the smoke stops.

Good luck and welcome to Fred’s.