Steam Clean Engine - good idea / bad idea?

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Hi,

Got this coupon from my local car wash for steam cleaning my engine. I've had my car for 6 years now and never washed the engine compartment cuz I was always afraid of shorting out the electronics since I've never done this sort of thing before.

But for $30, by someone who does this often, I'm thinking it may not be a bad idea. I mean, all car dealers do it for the used cars they sell.

So, good idea or bad idea?

Alex

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
should i leave the engine cover on or off? I'm thinking off

do i need to wrap up any electrical connections? (e.g. battery, and other electrical connectors in the engine bay) or are they already designed to be water proof? (they look like they are, but I'm not sure)

Alex

RichDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
alex_tdi said:
should i leave the engine cover on or off? I'm thinking off

do i need to wrap up any electrical connections? (e.g. battery, and other electrical connectors in the engine bay) or are they already designed to be water proof? (they look like they are, but I'm not sure)

Alex
I just washed mine last night (Saturday). Since I was at the car wash and didn't have any tools, the cover stayed on.

I sprayed the tire/engine cleaner over all that I could see, and some that I couldn't. Then I took the foaming brush and rubbed the top items (Engine cover, bat cover etc) Then used the rince feature, but didn't pull the trigger for the high pressure, and rinsed it all off. Looks great in there now, and it runs fine.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
I have been doing this for years. There used to be a self service car wash in Berkeley that had an engine cleaning bay. Now the only one I know of is in Concord. I get some B-33 engine degreaser at the local auto parts store. I spray it on, wait a few minutes and wash it off. It's really a good idea to do this in an approved facility as the waste is not exactly good for the environment.