Fuel Filter - Purolator, anyone using this brand?

rtgjetta

TDI
2009 Sportwagen TDI
If so, it appears the two o-rings are the same size. Does it matter which goes on first? Also, to prime the filter can you cycle from off to run position without starting to get fuel to the filter using the fuel pump? If so here how many cycles would be oppropriate?

TIA,

Rob

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Blue "O" ring on top... Black on bottom...

There's no electric fuel pump on pre-2004 models, so cycling the "ignition" switch won't help. If you've got any type of suction device (Pela 6000 oil-change unit, Mity-Vac, clear vinyl tube to suck on, whatever), you can pull fuel through the filter to make sure it's full... otherwise, you can use the hole from the T connection with the "O" rings and carefully fill the filter... to the top!!
If you've got a 2004... I don't know, but you could try it and see... (leave the "outlet" side of the filter open and have someone cycle the switch)

All the best,

Yuri.

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
The purolator filter I have came with 2 black o-rings that appeared to be the same size. I installed them in no particular order and have not had a problem. When I installed mine, I just put a length of tubing on the engine barb and attached the others. I then sucked on the tubing and once fuel came out I connected it. I had no issues with starting or running this way.

NOTE: They both looked to be roughly the same size as the blue one.

--Matt

Yz2K130

TDI
01 Jetta, black
I am using a Purolator fuel filter with the two black o-rings and having no problems with leaks. I used a MityVac to prime the filter.