Airbag fault code together with low voltage code

msa6

TDI
It's not a TDI, but an '03 Passat. There seems to be a lot of stuff on this board about airbag faults, so I figured I'd look for some help.

Service guy came back with 65535 ("internal control module memory error") and 00532 ("supply voltage B+: signal too low - intermittent"). I was ready to pay close to $1,000 (part and labor) to replace it when I called another service guy who suggested the low voltage may have caused the module fault.

Is this, in fact, the case? I have had some funky power things going on recently (car has about 75,000 miles on it): a window stopped working for an afternoon, the buttons don't all come up.

I don't want to do anything that would leave me at risk of malfunctioning airbags, but nor do I want to drop $1,000 without knowing if there's a cheaper solution to what's going on.

So...should I just go ahead and write the check, or should I dig deeper?

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
I get the supply voltage B+ signal too low error occasionally. It does not trip the CEL; only shows up with a full vag-com scan. I figure if it was serious, it would trip the CEL. Wear your seatbelt and don't worry about it. I have wondered if mine is because of a battery with one bad cell.

msa6

TDI
Not sure exactly what you're getting at..."CEL"?

Can you elaborate? Always wear the seatbelt, but also want those airbags (with confidence!).

Thanks.

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
CEL= check engine light- yellow engine with bolt on a Jetta in dash. Basically advise is its not serious enough to throw a major code- CEL on your dash. It's probabaly a minor electrical fault, your airbags are inflated by sodium azide exploding when a small ball is crushed into a connector, not some computer deciding wheater to blow or not so its basiclly fool proof. JUST DRIVE IT wearing your seatbelt....

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
You need to do a complete check on your charging system and the battery. You can get a fault in the airbag and the ECM with a checksum error. There is a service bulletin on that that I know of.

msa6

TDI
Heading to the dealer tomorrow, for a new scan and their take. Am I right that I should ask about changing ECU hoses in the car, see if that's the problem? Ask them on the voltage issue?

I'm sure they'd like me to pay big $, so I'd like to be "armed" with the right questions and prompts.

By the way, the car came out of the shop about two months ago after extensive body work after I got rear ended by a truck. Any chance that the body work (all in the rear1/3 of the car) coud be contributing to this airbag light issue?