vented fuel tank range

MNTDIman

TDI
2003 Jetta Blue
Just thought you guys could appreciate this....I got over 750 miles on one tank in my 2003 Jetta last weekend. Probably could have made 800 if I pushed it, but i filled up when the light came on.

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
slow down, you're driving to fast! You can do better. Trust me. I was at 700 miles on my last tank when I filled. And I still had a quarter tank to go. Puts me in the 900 miles per tank range.

(but I usually think a few days ahead to find out when I should fuel up since there are few places to get premium where I live and it's a drive to get the B5 that I want right now. Hence the filling with a quarter of a tank)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
That is probably the reason the B4 drivers go so far on a tank. There is no low fuel light to remind us to prematurely stop for fuel.
Yet another 1300+ mile tank for me at the moment, but not likely to be 1400+.

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
yes, I suggest getting a set of the skinny spare tires and running with them. Not only will they reduce the width of your tires, but they will limit your speed to something like 55 (don't have one to know what the limit is). mpg++

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I considered using a set of four temporary use spares for the Tour de Sol mileage competition, but discovered that despite their 60 psi rating and their narrow 135 width, that they actually had slightly more rolling resistance than a set of Michelin 195-60-14's at 44 psi.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
I considered using a set of four temporary use spares for the Tour de Sol mileage competition, (snip)
__. BTST. I had a work trip, oh, musta been nearly 20 years ago and I got off a train at Union Station in DC. As I walked by the taxi stand, there was a "Dodge Aries" (remember the Chrysler Corp. unlamented "Iacocca" K-cars from the late 70's-early 80's?) that was curiously low sitting by the curb. You see where this is going, right???? Yupp, running on four "temp" spares. I just had to shake my head and walk on.
'

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
...there was a "Dodge Aries" (remember the Chrysler Corp. unlamented "Iacocca" K-cars from the late 70's-early 80's?) that was curiously low sitting by the curb. You see where this is going, right???? Yupp, running on four "temp" spares. I just had to shake my head and walk on.
A while back I saw a Civic running with the donuts. It also had a HUGE rear wing and a 3" tailpipe.

And just this week I saw a Lincoln Towncar with four 13" tires. Not donuts, but still definitely a low-rider.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
I should be able to get 700 miles, which isn't bad for an automatic with an A4 tank (64L vented). I got 687.1 miles (adjusted for odometer error) in about a liter less fuel than the most I put in at one time.

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
MNTDIMAN, Not sure what transmission you have.
I know of an automatic that has hit 800 miles on one tank, twice
(highway miles)
If you have a manual, you should be able to hit 800 miles no problem. Your numbers should go up as the engine breaks in.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I guess the best I've ever done on the Jetta is about 600 miles, but I didn't need fuel and could have gone a couple hundred miles futher. It was about buying 50 cetane fuel where I stopped. I took the '00 NB (5spd) 733 miles to the bingo light once, but most of the time I was cruising 80 to 85 mph.

Just filled the Jetta yesterday (49 Cetane B5 @ $2.199) and that was 520 miles in town on 13.3 gallons, which is 39 MPG.
That's pretty good for an automatic, driven by a leadfooted woman who always has a car full of junk or a passanger.

Man I wish the Magnum was a diesel.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Man I wish the Magnum was a diesel.

I gather you're still pretty happy overall with the Magnum? It took you many MONTHS to express any buyer's remorse at all (above.)

Come back to the dark side...

Personal record (in '02 Jetta) is 717 miles.