New JSW owner. Cargo box or trailer?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi everyone. I'm the proud new owner of a 2014 JSW MKVI. It's post fixed that I picked up last week. Black on black, 6MT, with pano and a Curt trailer hitch. I'm coming from my 2004 Subaru hatch I've owned since 2007 so this quite the upgrade for me.

Im going to be taking the car on a trip for Thanksgiving from MA to SC for Thanksgiving and could use some extra cargo room. I've done a lot of reading and research including reading about 100 pages of the thread dedicated to towing.

I don't think the s53 whisper bars will work because I want to operate the pano. If I go the rocket box route of likely take the cross rails and box of e when not in use. What my best/most affordable route here? I searched Craigslist and found some used boxes but no rails. It looks like the classified here don't have any available either.

I'd rather go the trailer route, I figured I could get a basic 5x7 ish open trailer and put stuff in some type of storage bags to keep stuff dry. I have the hitch but don't have a ball and not sure if brake/light wires are already run. How can I check?

Thoughts/advice?

TIA

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
If the roof box will fit your stuff then I think it would be a lot nicer to drive all that way NOT towing a trailer. But if you'd rather go the trailer route then go for it.

I just found out my pickup truck needs some work and I'm trying to decide if I should slap a hitch on my wagon and get a little utility trailer for dump runs. I probably won't do it. Once you own a truck its hard to go back to being truckless. And its only money anyway.

In terms of trailer wiring....can't you just crawl around under the car and look for a plug? I would assume that its zip tied up somewhere if its there. What size is the receiver? Its possible that they just used the hitch for a bike rack.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks. I looked briefly for wiring and didn't see any. Wasn't sure if there was a quick way to see it on the interior cargo space.

If I do the roof rack, any recommendations on where to get cheap rails that won't interfere with my pano?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Anything on the roof will cause drag and cost you mpg's.
Open the cargo/spare tire cover and look for wires.

Your location for ma limits you for help. Post a larger city near your location and get help. I have the wiring plugs indicators to check if the lights work.

Post also on the eastern threads for help there.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Anything on the roof will cause drag and cost you mpg's.
Open the cargo/spare tire cover and look for wires.

Your location for ma limits you for help. Post a larger city near your location and get help. I have the wiring plugs indicators to check if the lights work.

Post also on the eastern threads for help there.
I'm on the upper cape. Not quite following your recommendation to post to somewhere else. New to this forum.

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I bought a thule rack system and box 17 years ago never used it. Sitting in the garage collecting dust.

VW has a pin in the gutter system for rack connections. Dunno if the MK7 has that system.

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
New is OK...... the compression ignition followers have taken a beating over the past several years.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you go to the main page you will find local forums listed there. Post something there as well as there might be someone close to you that can help. Give a better location of your area than just the state and more that see this post may be close and offer. Check inside the rear area as sometimes people wire them in and just lead the wire out the tailgate when needed instead of mounting it outside in the normal fashion. It will need a special converter box so that should be mounted inside somewhere if it is wired already. Check the tail lights for wires/wiring as the converter box will have to connect to the existing wires somewhere and this is usually the spot.

I would go with a small trailer instead of roof rack. I have always hated adding more weight high up on a vehicle and you are limited by weight what can go up there, more so than a trailer. If you can't find one cheap Harbor Freight has a small four footer for $289.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lbs-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62645.html

Get a small piece of plywood and some straps and you are good. At least for a few trips anyway.

The wiring converter will look like one of these two things:

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2014_Volkswagen_Jetta+SportWagen.htm

Here is the local forum for your area:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Last edited:

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Not sure if it’s been discussed but what about a cargo box or tray that slides into the Curt hitch receiver.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Not sure if it’s been discussed but what about a cargo box or tray that slides into the Curt hitch receiver.
I read a different post where that was discussed in-depth comparing it to a roof rack or a trailer option. It sounds like it's the least best option of the three.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
If you go to the main page you will find local forums listed there. Post something there as well as there might be someone close to you that can help. Give a better location of your area than just the state and more that see this post may be close and offer. Check inside the rear area as sometimes people wire them in and just lead the wire out the tailgate when needed instead of mounting it outside in the normal fashion. It will need a special converter box so that should be mounted inside somewhere if it is wired already. Check the tail lights for wires/wiring as the converter box will have to connect to the existing wires somewhere and this is usually the spot.

I would go with a small trailer instead of roof rack. I have always hated adding more weight high up on a vehicle and you are limited by weight what can go up there, more so than a trailer. If you can't find one cheap Harbor Freight has a small four footer for $289.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lbs-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62645.html

Get a small piece of plywood and some straps and you are good. At least for a few trips anyway.

The wiring converter will look like one of these two things:

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2014_Volkswagen_Jetta+SportWagen.htm

Here is the local forum for your area:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Great info, thanks. I did look in that local forum but there's only a few posts so I wasn't sure if I was in the right area. I have something very similar to the hitch that you posted it's a Curt hitch and similar to the hidden hitch. What do I need to attach a ball to that?

I stopped at my local Sears tonight. They're going out of business and discounting everything. The car stuff was 25% off, which I didn't think was that great of a deal. They had a generic sport Trac roof rack system for $125. they also had a Thule 1600 marked down to $269 and a Sears brand cargo xl about for $125. I was tempted to get the Sears box and the generic rails but they wouldn't go any lower on the price.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Great info,. Thanks. I did look in that local form but there's only a few post so I wasn't sure if I was in the right area. I have something very similar to The Hitch that you posted it's a Curt hitch and similar to the hidden hitch. What do I need to attach a ball to that?
I stopped at my Sears tonight. They're going out of business and discontinue everything. The car stuff was 25% off which I didn't think was that great of a deal. They had a generic sport Trac roof rack system for $125. d they also had a Thule 1600 marked down to $269 and a Sears beans cargo xl about for $125m. I was tempted to get the Sears box and the generic rails but they wouldn't go any lower on the price.
I didn't post to the hitch I posted a link to the electrical trailer light converter setup. You will probably need a 1 1/4" ball mount to fit your hitch as well as a ball to go on it to match your trailer. Check your hitch and trailer for the proper sizes to get.

The roof boxes have their issues as they can be difficult to load/unload, increases the center of gravity of the car, noisey, not very aerodynamic and are limited in capacity (size and weight). Trailers are much easier to load/unload/hitch/unhitch, are behind the car and out of the slip stream for the most part, and are pretty much unnoticed when on the highway traveling (these small trailers). The Harbor Freight one even folds up for storage.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if you go with a roof mount cargo box, DO NOT SKIMP
buy the best one you can and add a few straps to it for extra safety, i have seen PLENTY of these things fly off cars and nearly total the car from the damages.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’ve done lots of trips with a box and a fair bit with a trailer. The box works fine, go big if you’re buying one, not much point in being a minimalist and not getting what you need in. I have the original VW racks, a nice setup which is very similar to the Thule and compatible with Thule T bolts for holding the box on.
Don’t forget to close and lock the latches, even when nothing inside. Crosswinds will open my older box, fortunately it is strong enough to withstand highway speed when open without damage. Oh and you won’t want to open the sunroof at speed with crossbars, at least not with mine. Much too noisy.
Tying a canoe onto racks is more difficult on a MKVI because there is nothing on the front of the car to tie to. Much easier to put on the trailer.
No problems pulling a reasonable trailer but the MKVI Wagon has a higher bottom on the rear window which makes it more difficult to see the trailer than with the MKIV. My trailer is just about invisible from the drivers seat when empty. Makes reversing more difficult.
If you are looking for trailer wiring it might be in the left side compartment by the hatch. If you remove the chintzy hatch for accessing the light assembly and no extra wiring is connected to the rear lights it is a pretty good bet no one installed any trailer wiring. The MKVI needs a powered adapter to run trailer lights and the power is typically run from the battery under the car to the back. The alternative is to spend a day pulling the interior apart and reassembling:D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Most vehicles I have seen post there is a limit to how much weight should be carried up top. On my wife's Santa Fe it is posted on the roof top rails and says no more than 220 lbs and includes the weight of the box and supporting structure.

http://www.hyundaisantafemanual.com/santafe-170-roof_rack.html

This is very limiting compared to a trailer which could easily carry 4 or 5 times that amount if needed. The trailer is also more useful when carrying other items that probably shouldn't be placed in a box on top of the car. Such as taking your lawnmower in for repair or buying some bricks or dirt etc..

If you will only use it for lighter items like clothes and such in luggage, it will probably be okay. I like the greater usefulness of the trailer and not having the extra weight up top.

Small invisible trailers can be helped by a small stand pole with a flag or tennis ball on it. Or they can just be easily disconnected and reconnected as needed.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Most vehicles I have seen post there is a limit to how much weight should be carried up top. On my wife's Santa Fe it is posted on the roof top rails and says no more than 220 lbs and includes the weight of the box and supporting structure.

http://www.hyundaisantafemanual.com/santafe-170-roof_rack.html

This is very limiting compared to a trailer which could easily carry 4 or 5 times that amount if needed. The trailer is also more useful when carrying other items that probably shouldn't be placed in a box on top of the car. Such as taking your lawnmower in for repair or buying some bricks or dirt etc..

If you will only use it for lighter items like clothes and such in luggage, it will probably be okay. I like the greater usefulness of the trailer and not having the extra weight up top.

Small invisible trailers can be helped by a small stand pole with a flag or tennis ball on it. Or they can just be easily disconnected and reconnected as needed.

Any specific recommendarions on a trailer?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you just need something small and easily storable for limited use it is hard to beat the Harbor Freight trailers. If you need something more stout than you will have to check local trailer places or Craigslist or such. Kind of depends on your budget and intended use.

For Thanksgiving I would suggest try renting a small trailer from UHaul or similar. I have had a small luggage trailer, a small 4x6 enclosed trailer, a Harbor Freight trailer, a flat bed trailer with a ramp and a car dolly. All towed behind a Beetle tdi at one time or another. I had no issues with towing with any of them. Under 1000lbs and you won't even realize it is there most of the time.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
If you just need something small and easily storable for limited use it is hard to beat the Harbor Freight trailers. If you need something more stout than you will have to check local trailer places or Craigslist or such. Kind of depends on your budget and intended use.

For Thanksgiving I would suggest try renting a small trailer from UHaul or similar. I have had a small luggage trailer, a small 4x6 enclosed trailer, a Harbor Freight trailer, a flat bed trailer with a ramp and a car dolly. All towed behind a Beetle tdi at one time or another. I had no issues with towing with any of them. Under 1000lbs and you won't even realize it is there most of the time.
thats a great idea! thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Friend of mine has had whisper bars on both his '12 JSW and 15 GSW. The GSW has a pano roof, the JSW didn't. But I'd be surprised if they didn't work.

I used a Thule box for years on the top of my Jetta Wagon to take my sons snowboarding. We probably took a FE hit, but I don't recall ever dropping below 40 MPG in that car with 4 people, gear, and the box on the roof. I'd much prefer not to deal with a trailer, even if it costs me a couple MPG.

I'd also suggest another option: take less. I can't believae how much unnecessary stuff we used to haul around when my kids were younger. Now I travel very light, and rarely miss what I don't bring. But if you can't do that, go for a good, aerodynamic, water tight box.

Also, I've done that drive a bunch of times (I'm in Duxbury) and I'd rather not have to get through NY and DC with a trailer. Stressful enough without. And I'd want to run with traffic on 95 or 81, which ever you take. Last time I drove 81 the left lane was running at 80+. Don't know if I'd love that with a trailer, either.

Last edited:

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Friend of mine has had whisper bars on both his '12 JSW and 15 GSW. The GSW has a pano roof, the JSW didn't. But I'd be surprised if they didn't work.

I used a Thule box for years on the top of my Jetta Wagon to take my sons snowboarding. We probably took a FE hit, but I don't recall ever dropping below 40 MPG in that car with 4 people, gear, and the box on the roof. I'd much prefer not to deal with a trailer, even if it costs me a couple MPG.

I'd also suggest another option: take less. I can't believae how much unnecessary stuff we used to haul around when my kids were younger. Now I travel very light, and rarely miss what I don't bring. But if you can't do that, go for a good, aerodynamic, water tight box.

Also, I've done that drive a bunch of times (I'm in Duxbury) and I'd rather not have to get through NY and DC with a trailer. Stressful enough without. And I'd want to run with traffic on 95 or 81, which ever you take. Last time I drove 81 the left lane was running at 80+. Don't know if I'd love that with a trailer, either.

Hey neighbor! yea im not thrilled about driving long distance with a trailer but one of those small uhaul slipstream carriers wouldnt be too bad. I'm sure i could cram everything into the car but we have a 1 year and will need to bring a stroller, pack and play our luggage, and my we're toting my nephew on the way back. We'll probably do some BF shopping on our way back and i think that will put us over the top. Having the extra storage, whether its a rocket box or a trailer would be great. I think longer term, id probably have both. Rocket box for these types of situations and a trailer to use instead of my old beater truck. I use the truck for dump runs and sometimes when i have to go to CT to fix something at a rental property I own in CT.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Strollers are space hogs. One of the best things we did is get an umbrella stroller for trips. Used to wheel right onto airplanes and toss it in the overhead. Takes zero space in the car.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Strollers are space hogs. One of the best things we did is get an umbrella stroller for trips. Used to wheel right onto airplanes and toss it in the overhead. Takes zero space in the car.

i know, tell me about it. the stroller takes up literally half of the cargo space. we got an umbrella for this trip. will def help.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

You probably missed the part about the Whispbar S53 is the flush bar, which many like due to aesthetics. it is fine without a sunroof, but if you want to use your panoramic sunroof, the glass panel will contact whatever mounting method that hangs below the bar.

A Whispbar Thru-bar, since it sits higher, will have adequate clearance, even clearance with the Yakima Skybox clamp.

But with the sunroof open with the box, you get a lot of turbulence from the underside of the roof box

Last edited: