2008 C6A6 Avant Sline + AEL 6 Speed

DangerBoy

TDI
2010 BMW X5 35d, 1997 A6 Wagon AEL 2.5L TDI quattro 01E Six Speed Manual (Salvaged 2018)
Hi everyone!

As I mentioned in a couple other threads, including my original swap thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373925

I have a 2.5L AEL with a 01E 6 Tdi speed. The entire car fully functioning only someone rear ended me and damaged the chassis beyond repair.

Today I'm going to go look at a 2008 Audi (C6) A6 Avant S-line with the 3.2L V6 and tiptronic transmission. There was this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476747

where member "Ogsv" from Norway was considering swapping the AEL into a C5.

I already have the newer-than-the-AEL T4 AXG Tdi Ecu and wiring harness, as well as VNT turbo and manifolds. I also have a Sprinter Turbo that seemed like a good match for the AEL, though it does have a servo style actuator which I'm not sure if anyone has adapted well yet. If not I'm sure I can machine some new parts to make the OEM AXG actuator components fit.

Before I even consider this swap seriously I need to ask everyone out there if they have ever tried to interface gauges from a car as new as the C6A6 to something like the AXG Ecu?

On my C4 it was the gauges that had the preset setting that could be selected by VAGCOM to run a 5 cylinder engine. I can only assume the C6 gauges wouldn't have software to support that config since a 5 cylinder never came in that car.

If anyone has some insight I may consider the swap but only if the electrical isn't a giant nightmare. With the car having so much CAN Bus I can only assume it would be much easier to wire everything but if the software doesn't want to recognize each other it is a non-starter.

Option 2 is to just get the EU parts for either a 4 or 6 cylinder swap from a C6 and try to sell my AEL as is to someone else that wants to swap it over to another car or have for yet another project.

My company does 3D scanning and 5 axis machining so any custom made parts for the swap is no problem at all.

Let me know your thoughts!

Dave

Last edited:

mercedeslimos

TDI
2006 Passat TDI
TBH I'd say that's a non runner. The C6 has so man embedded CANBus systems it's hard to even change parts without major coding hassles. If you could get an EU-spec 2.7 or 3.0 TDI and full loom that would be the only way