GSW Winter Front?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Idparts was working with their vendor, not sure if they have one ready for prime time yet.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Are they actually working on having them made, or still looking for answers?
The concern is it might be harmful to block the grill on the MK7 with such a sophisticated cooling system.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I thought they were not going to produce them for the Mk7. I had inquired back in 2015 and I believe they were working on them until dieselgate.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are they actually working on having them made, or still looking for answers?
The concern is it might be harmful to block the grill on the MK7 with such a sophisticated cooling system.

Can't be any more risky than on a MK5 or MK6 or a Passat (Passat has the same complex water to air IC) I prob wouldn't run one in temps above 50f but I'm sure people have and didn't run into issues.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Thinking about building it myself with some vinyl. Winter commute @-13f is no fun when your car start to heat up after 30min...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
IBW (Peter, ID Parts owner) stated last winter that they were working on one, but apparently that got off track. Maybe there just aren't enough 2015s on the road to justify it. I'd be first in line to buy if they do go through with it.

I feel qualified to speak on the FrostHeater and blocking the grille with foam insulation, because I did both last winter.

1. FrostHeater is nice, but I feel like it may not be quite as effective with the Mk7 because of the complex cooling system. After a four hour cycle, my car will show about 160F on ScanGauge immediately after start and will usually quickly drop to about 130F before slowly building back up to 190F. It doesn't seem to hold that initial warm coolant temp as it circulates. It does make for instant starts though, with virtually no wait time on the glow plugs.

2. I had great success with pipe insulation, regardless of how ugly it may be. I couldn't really give a flying flip what anybody thinks of the looks. It creates much faster warmup time to full operating temperature and only seems to run maybe 5 degrees above normal temp. You can always pull the foam out of one or more of the several filled openings to manipulate the temp as you see fit. On forecast warmer days, I'd adjust my configuration. I didn't notice excessively warmer temps during regens either. Again, 5-10F over what it normally would be. Nothing alarming.

Here's what she looks like foamed:

Last edited:

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
IBW (Peter, ID Parts owner) stated last winter that they were working on one, but apparently that got off track. Maybe there just aren't enough 2015s on the road to justify it. I'd be first in line to buy if they do go through with it.

I feel qualified to speak on the FrostHeater and blocking the grille with foam insulation, because I did both last winter.

1. FrostHeater is nice, but I feel like it may not be quite as effective with the Mk7 because of the complex cooling system. After a four hour cycle, my car will show about 160F on ScanGauge immediately after start and will usually quickly drop to about 130F before slowly building back up to 190F. It doesn't seem to hold that initial warm coolant temp as it circulates. It does make for instant starts though, with virtually no wait time on the glow plugs.

2. I had great success with pipe insulation, regardless of how ugly it may be. I couldn't really give a flying flip what anybody thinks of the looks. It creates much faster warmup time to full operating temperature and only seems to run maybe 5 degrees above normal temp. You can always pull the foam out of one or more of the several filled openings to manipulate the temp as you see fit. On forecast warmer days, I'd adjust my configuration. I didn't notice excessively warmer temps during regens either. Again, 5-10F over what it normally would be. Nothing alarming.

Good to know.

Might try my hand at making a vinylish winter cover

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I just remember I have the sensor/camera thing on mine... That will complicate the vinyling

Last edited:

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen

What was the lowest temperature you experienced with your Frost heater?

I was literally about to pull the trigger on one but after reading your experience, I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Also, do you also plug your block heater when you plug your Frost heater?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
What was the lowest temperature you experienced with your Frost heater?

I was literally about to pull the trigger on one but after reading your experience, I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Also, do you also plug your block heater when you plug your Frost heater?

Around 15F(-10C). No block heater on US models.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Winter is coming! Anywhere I can get these for mk7?

Thanks
Funny, I looked at that picture and thought, "That looks pretty nice." Then I realized it's my car, sold a couple years ago.

We're not going to make a GSW winter front this year. Not clear that there's either a need or demand for it. I drove my GSW to Detroit and back last January and it doesn't display any of the "issues" that older TDIs do when you don't use a winter front. So we're going to pass on making them, at least for now.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've been using foam pipe insulation on the front of mine for over a year. Forgot to take it off this summer until solstice. It catches LOTS of bugs that would normally plug up the radiator air flow. Th car does heat up more quickly and gives better fuel economy due to that. Very few people comment about it. If I go through a high pressure spray wash, which I do occasionally in winter, I have to take them off or the spray knocks them off.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I used foam on my mk5, now I use it on my Audi A3. I even use it on the hybrid. The foam works out will and if you trim it nicely an put tie wraps in the right places, it looks almost normal.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I have used foam for the past 8 years on my MK4, I use it on my GSW and I use it on my 1984 M1009 Military Blazer, which refuses to heat up in the cold (anything lower than 30 degrees) with the foam. Stuff works great, kinda blends in with the grill opening, it is easily and quickly replaced if needed and last, but not least, the price is right, really right.

marcoforehand

TDI
2005 jetta 5spd, 2013 Beetle dsg, 02 Jeeta 5spd retired after 300K+
I see Frost Heaters are offered for the 2015 GSW, and then read in this thread that the cooling system makes a FH less effective. Is that the consensus ? I am about to buy a fixed GSW for my wife, she rolls out the door @ 4:30 AM.
Quick heat is a concern.
BTW her 2013 Beetle was fine without a Frost Heater

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I see Frost Heaters are offered for the 2015 GSW, and then read in this thread that the cooling system makes a FH less effective. Is that the consensus ? I am about to buy a fixed GSW for my wife, she rolls out the door @ 4:30 AM.
Quick heat is a concern.
I feel that our MY15 warm quite a bit faster (because if additional coolant circuits) than the older MK6/MK5 regardless. Foam or no foam or heater, it's gonna warm faster. Typically 5min of driving and I have warm enough heat coming out. (temps in the teens/tens) Leave fan speed on 1 or 2 and just go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Canadian TDIs come with a coolant heater.

On the really cold days (less than -20C) I noticed a dramatic improvement in how quickly the car gets to operating temp. Less than 5 minutes from my house and the oil temp gauge starts to read 50C and climbs from there.

Without it, it's a long, long time in city driving before it registers.

As for cabin heat, it does improve it, but even without I have no issues with how long it takes to make heat in the cabin.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Quick heat is a concern.
If her Beetle was a TDI and had no issues, she'll be fine with a '15 without frost heater.

The wife always complains about being cold (her, not the Passat) when I jump in her car she always has the heat set to 68 fan on 1 and never complains about her car being cold (only thing she wishes for is a heated steering wheel which for some odd reason is unobtainaium).

The '15 seems to take just as long to warm up as her '12 but it does seem to give better heat to the cabin sooner.

Face It

TDI
2015 GSW DSG TDI S Red/Beige
I like to be on the cold side. So I really don't have the heat up much just enough to knock out the chill.

And you can keep the heated seats. Not interested.

But a heated steering wheel? TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

Again just enough so I don't need to be wearing gloves.