Just Tires.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Continental Pure Contact is a great tire. I only have a few thousand miles on them, but they already hold really well in cornering, track straight (can take hands off the wheel on level surface at speed). So far, so good. Quiet, LRR, stick well, including wet roads. More photos at the link below (replacement project):
[/URL]CloseupWheelTireRotor by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
i was a michelin primacy lover, and have 2 sets ready to install that i grabbed off the buy sell groups in Canada,, I tried defenders as a replacement, but took them back in 10 min, ride and feel was just better for the 10 bux more

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
So i decided to go up a size with my new tire. 225/45-18. Bridgestone Potenza Re980as. Overall they are 1" bigger in diameter. So it raised the car 1/2". I love how much it smoothed out the ride.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
That looks like a perfect fit. Don’t know why that wasn’t stock size from the factory. Thanks for the pics - that boosts my confidence in going to 225/50-18 when due for my next set.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
That looks like a perfect fit. Don’t know why that wasn’t stock size from the factory. Thanks for the pics - that boosts my confidence in going to 225/50-18 when due for my next set.
Thats another inch in diameter. Thats alot. I mean it may fit but id be alil worried about rubbing.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
26.9” diameter according to the tire size calculator.
According to info on this forum, anything up to and including 27” will fit.
If I learn otherwise the hard way, I’ll let the folks here know - but I have confidence in the info shared here.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
You'll get better performance grip from the Pilot A/S (especially on wet pavement) and more miles from the Defender - 45K Vs. 60K

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I've had a set of the michelin pilot sport a/s 3 and the newer pilot sport a/s 3+. These are going to be the best all season performance tires out there, I love them. The only reasons to consider something else would be budget or if you want something in a different segment like summer/winter/all weather/all terrain or ECO.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I've had a set of the michelin pilot sport a/s 3 and the newer pilot sport a/s 3+. These are going to be the best all season performance tires out there, I love them. The only reasons to consider something else would be budget or if you want something in a different segment like summer/winter/all weather/all terrain or ECO.
I work for Bridgestone so i get a 50% discount on tires thats why i run them but every set of Bridge or Firestones ive had have all ran to the end of the tread warranty which is usually 60k depending on the tire ofcourse but i do rotate every 5k as your supposed to.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I work for Bridgestone so i get a 50% discount on tires thats why i run them but every set of Bridge or Firestones ive had have all ran to the end of the tread warranty which is usually 60k depending on the tire ofcourse but i do rotate every 5k as your supposed to.
Thats awesome!! Can you share the discount or hook a TDI'r up with a gig to test tires?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
A superb tire for those who are cost conscious is the General Altimax 43. Very highly rated on TireRack for the price.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
I ended up with BFG A/S and am very pleased. Stock size but should have gone with a different aspect ratio.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
26.9” diameter according to the tire size calculator.
According to info on this forum, anything up to and including 27” will fit.
If I learn otherwise the hard way, I’ll let the folks here know - but I have confidence in the info shared here.
Rubbing will depend on wheel offset, unless you are going for "full flush" look with 500lb in the back you'll be fine.

Typical clearance issues is the mud flaps and turning lock to lock.

225-55-17 is a great size that works for those with 17"

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
215/60R-17 27" diameter on Mk7 GSW-excellent

I know people tend to prefer to put low profile tires on their Mk7, but I prefer the softer ride and pothole resistance of a full radial with at least aspect ratio of 60. Taller tires also have lower angle of attack on snow, and narrower tires bite through snow better as well. The compromise is in the high performance cornering loss. That's OK. I don't miss it, and frankly, really good 60 series tires perform pretty well in cornering.

When my '14 JSW got totaled, I had an orphaned set of Contis to do something with...I put those Continental Pure Contact EcoPlus tires on 16" wheels on the old ALH.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5297266&postcount=22

These tires were a full 2 " bigger on circumference, but they are just awesome. The stiffer springs were stock on the '03 wagon, and they pair well with these tires. I had concerns about interference (especially turning), but that never happened (you can see the clearance in that post... The Pure contacts track beautifully and ride firm and quiet. I installed all new Bosch struts/shocks, lower control arm bushings, and more, and that car drives great now.

Now for the Mk7...

My OEM ContiPro Contact 225/45R-17 tires have over 30k on them, and they are still OK, but I have been anxious to get a better tire on there. Based on the great experience and ongoing performance of the Pure Contacts on the ALH, I decided to try these:
215/60R-17 CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT SL

Fully 2.2 inches taller than the OEM tires, and a little narrower. I had some concern again about interference. I decided that I can always get the stiffer spring package from IDParts if I need more lift, so I took the gamble.

It paid off. These tires have a sure, absolutely confidence inspiring feel. The improvement was drastic and amazing. There are wide rain grooves which should improve hydroplaning resistance. It tracks much better. than the OEM tires now. No hands driving with no drift. Amazing. The car rides higher too. Noticeably. I may get the "Alltrack conversion springs" anyway. It will feel more like a crossover wagon!

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I'm with you dubStrom, apparently a 235x25x18 tire is available, but only someone mentally challenged would put that on their car.
You might as well just run on the rims !!!

I too appreciate the extra cushioning my upsize 235x55x18 tires give me.

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
Sorry to hijack, just didn't want to start another thread and no luck so far on searches.

I have a set of 215/35/17's listed on Craigslist I found from an 18 Passat. I assume he meant to say 215/55/17's? They are all OEM.

It appears these should fit fine on my 15 GSW S?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They're too big for a GSW. GSW would have 225/45-17s. Passat wheels and tires may fit, but your speedometer and odometer will be off.

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
They are to big physically? Like they will rub? Or it is JUST the spedo/odo being off?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if dub storm can fit 215-60-17 then surly 215-55-17 will fit no problem.

I agree it a difference between will they fit (W/O rubbing) or will the speedo be off.

its common for Alltracks to run 215-65-16 which diameter is right at 27", as long as the wheel doesn't have supper flush offset. The rub isn't at the top of the fender but the rocker/mudflap

I was going to snag something in 225-55-17 for our Alltrack but also may look at 215-60-17 as I don't feel I need wider tires.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm with you dubStrom, apparently a 235x25x18 tire is available, but only someone mentally challenged would put that on their car.
You might as well just run on the rims !!!

I too appreciate the extra cushioning my upsize 235x55x18 tires give me.

I have now accumulated a few thousand miles on these tires, and we've had LOTS of rain. Just amazing. It took a week to grind in these tires and get to the performance, but these tires track with firm and sticky confidence. And resist hydroplaning remarkably well. In the wet conditions, they stick amazingly well in fact. THe most notable difference is that the ride is LESS JARRING on pavement transitions and potholes. This is what I installed.
215/60R-17 CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT SL
They barely fit in the wheel wells, and I here a bit of rubbing on the wheel well plastic liners when I pin the steering right or left, so I just don't do that much, and only at creeping low speed when absolutely necessary.

On the odometer and speedo calibration... This can be done with VAG-COM, although I understand it is by tire size instead of diameter (really dumb). I have not bothered to do this yet, but will look into it.

Visually, these tires make the car look different. It looks more beefy and similar to the AllTrack model or a Subaru Outback. I might get the Tiguan front springs and AllTrack rear springs to get this car farther off the ground now, but not sure about that. It is only when I need to load it up that I may have problems. I will know soon. Taking a trip with fam and we will be loaded. :eek:

Last edited:

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
215/55/17 do fit! That's a much bigger tire with even more side wall than the 16's, car has an almost 3/4" lift from the new setup. 71mph indicated is about 75mph actual, it's around 2/3 mph difference at 45 so it's quite a bit different.

My entire reason is to set myself up with some snow tires for the winter. These new giant 17's are NOT low profile and do not give the car any kind of sporty look. It was not my intention to do so but figured if I found a good deal on some 17's I'll grab them and use for summer wheels/tires. Then buy some snow's for the 16's. But the 17's are so big and lifted it may be an advantage to use them for the snow tires.

/ponder.