2000 Jetta TDI Longevity?

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
lol

...meanwhile back to changing glow plugs. Heck, after 230,000 miles, something's gotta go. At least I haven't changed spark plugs.

ki4dfg

TDI
2000 Jetta
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with 425,000 miles and the original turbo. Turbo is probably at 60% efficiency, but that is okay with me.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If you maintain your MK4, I am sure it will last forever.
I got this car for 4 years now and it cost me a grand total of 7000$. Purchase, repairs and minor upgrades here and there. (Nozzles, chip, leather seats... repairs are brakes, suspension, mags, tires...
I think 1750 a year is well worth the money for a great running, fuel efficient car :)
I probably drive three times as many miles each year as you do and spend three times as much on maintenance and repairs. But I think it's worth it.

One other thing about Mk4 TDIs: they don't depreciate. Not really. The value is not what year they were made or even how many miles are on the odometer, but how they are cared for. Newer cars, even newer TDIs, lose $2000-$3000 or more each year.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One other thing about Mk4 TDIs: they don't depreciate. Not really. The value is not what year they were made or even how many miles are on the odometer, but how they are cared for.
I don't think this is true. MKIV values have pretty much bottomed out. They took a hit when the bought back TDIs were released for sale, since people could get a much newer TDI with a good warranty for a reasonable price. You can buy a decent MKIV TDI manual for $1,000-$1,500 these days. And Jetta Wagons (probably the most expensive) are available for $2-$3K.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I don't think a well maintained ALH goes for those prices. I think it is more like $4000-$6000. I am looking for an ALH for a friend and I have not been able to find anything rust-free and well-maintained for anything close to the prices you stated above.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
I think it depends on where you live. They can be found pretty readily in FL for under $3,000

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
That is still well above the 1000-1500 mentioned by IBW. I've been looking around and the only thing I see under $2k are ones with significant problems.

Cheers,

PH

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
There are two in my area under $1500, one needs IP resealed and the other has 01M that slips a little in reverse. $1100 and $900 respectively.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The prices, like the condition and mileage, are all over the place. And often times the best ones are not being let go of by their owners, and those that do ask a premium price but end up sitting on them for a long time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We have two co-workers who bought ALH Golfs, one for $600, one for $1,800. Both need work, but are basically good cars. My son's '02 was $1,500 with two new sets of tires, needed a timing belt and some other catch-up maintenance, but runs great. My other son bought an '02 Jetta with less than 200K miles on it for $1,200 did a 01M swap to a 5-speed, and is enjoying the car three years later.

Cars like this one: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494324

It's true that really clean ones can get upwards of $4K, but there are deals out there, too.

Last edited:

Hwycruiser

TDI
The largest cost of car ownership is depreciation, that most overlook until time to sell or trade. If MK4 has eliminated depreciation and are still running in good condtion, you can’t beat that. Most folks don’t want to drive an old car because of the stigma that they will be perceived as not being able to afford a newer car. Advertising is constantly telling us to get a new one and the new ones are inticing with that “new car smell”. I find myself weighing the fix or get a 6 year warranty decision. It’s the monthly payment, insurance, and depreciation of a new one that so far keeps me spending on my old Golf. I guess it maybe time to get a new slogan instead of “Yes, it’s a Diesel” to “Yes, it’s Paid For”...and running great!

PS- I heard recently that here in the U.S. the average new car payment is $560 for 84 months!

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
OUCH !! my payment on my Golf is just under $500 for 54 months - Have about 10 months left.

OTOH - my 2000 NB has been long ago paid for, along with the 5 speed conversion and my engine performance enhancements :)

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
My buddy here in Albuquerque recently sold his 2003 wagon for $4,500. He tried to get more, but got tired of waiting. It most likely needed timing belt soon as well. ($700 repair unless you do it yourself.) This car didn't have leather, etc either.

Most MK4s that I see and that I have purchased need a ton of work to make them right. (worn out shocks/struts, bad suspension bushings, timing belt, bad lock actuators, oil leaks, dents, rust, etc)

IMO a well maintained MK4 has none of the above issues. My cars do not have those issues because I have repaired all of the issues. The problem is if you don't do the work yourself, the cost of repairs will exceed the cost of the car quite quickly.

So finding a well-maintained MK4 should be the goal if you are looking for one or get it super cheap if it has problems. (I paid $1,500 for my wagon, but I have an additional $2,000 into it, plus a ton of labor)

I do think west coast cars should get a premium because they don't have all the rust.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
For my sons and myself I've bought a total of 6 MKIVs. Only one (IBW) was new. All the others needed a fair amount of catch-up maintenance. My '99.5 Golf needed literally everything, including new paint. I probably have about as much in that car as a fixed MKVI would cost. However, I'd prefer to drive the MKIV. I haven't had a payment on my Wagon since '04.

I don't care what repairs cost on that car, and I never think about repairs in light of the car's value. Doesn't matter. Look at the payment info posted above. It's almost always less expensive to fix a car than replace it.

Regarding status, I think my Wagon either disappears into the background for folks who don't know cars, or it's a source of pride to those who do. I've had the car for so long that it's simply what people expect to see me driving. No judgments, or at least none anyone shares with me. :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I find myself having to talk people into some common sense, and assuring them that numbers in an odometer are not a direct indication of a car's "life" and that it is almost always a better long term plan to keep them in good order for as long as possible.

I do realize that people do often get tired of a car and/or simply want something different just because.

In the case of the ALH+manual cars in particular (the BEW a close second), there really hasn't been anything before or since that hits the mark so squarely on the bull's eye for 'Economy-Longevity-Performance'. They really do somehow land in a zone that, at least in this country, really have no rivals. There are certainly other cars that do some things as good, or close to as good, but nothing that does it all as easily.

My biggest concern going forward is parts availability beyond normal wear service parts. Things like center consoles, door panels, seat covers, window glass, trunk harnesses, and a million other little items are already on the NLA list, and it isn't like finding good used items is getting any easier, especially when they all are subject to the same failure points.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I find myself having to talk people into some common sense, and assuring them that numbers in an odometer are not a direct indication of a car's "life" and that it is almost always a better long term plan to keep them in good order for as long as possible.

I do realize that people do often get tired of a car and/or simply want something different just because.

In the case of the ALH+manual cars in particular (the BEW a close second), there really hasn't been anything before or since that hits the mark so squarely on the bull's eye for 'Economy-Longevity-Performance'. They really do somehow land in a zone that, at least in this country, really have no rivals. There are certainly other cars that do some things as good, or close to as good, but nothing that does it all as easily.

My biggest concern going forward is parts availability beyond normal wear service parts. Things like center consoles, door panels, seat covers, window glass, trunk harnesses, and a million other little items are already on the NLA list, and it isn't like finding good used items is getting any easier, especially when they all are subject to the same failure points.

THIS - more than anything else, will be the nail in the coffin on my 2000 NB. Until I need a repair that simply can't be done due to parts availability, I will keep driving it.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
snip
This is the biggest kicker on all vehicles. My father restores vehicles older vehicles and I restores vehicles and notes that it's the small little things that eats up the budget, not the large items like the drivetrain. Eventually, anything that is not metal will need to be replaced. How l long that is, I'm not sure for the modern materials. But any car my father restores from the '80s, '70s or '60s ends up having almost any non metal part replaced. My Ram is starting to have the same issues, door handles becoming brittle, door panels, the dash. I can keep the engine and drivetrain running for the rest of my life, and I can do bodywork, but the little things are making me contemplate an upgrade.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Very true. I'm always on the lookout for MkIV wear items. It seems that there are (or
were) some re-pop interior parts at FixmyVW.com and other sites recently, at least.
Some marques don't have this problem - my '65 Mustang could have been built from
bumper to bumper with parts from catalogs, not surprising considering how many are
still out there. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've not seen a lot of parts go obsolete for MKIV cars...yet. I did scramble to get a new headliner for my Wagon earlier this year. It had gone obsolete and then reappeared at VW, so I grabbed one. Going to do the same with an OE windshield shortly. And I bought a parts car last year that I've used for stockpiling some trim and other parts. Overall, I'm not worried.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I was just contemplating this issue, since my seatbelt won’t recoil any longer and my door is getting damaged shutting it on the seat belt latch. Apparently it can be fixed by soaking it in soap water, but instead... i searched to get a new one. I have had trouble finding one, but I’m not worried either. Since I’ve got a day off to mess with it.
Must the headliner be oem? I poked a hole in mine and figured I’d be able to find a reupholstery shop to fix it up. I want a sturdy textured leather type material that can take a hit.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't find that parts on an issue on the MK4s right now. My local pick and part junkyard has 15 MK4 Jettas right now. So if anything breaks, I just look for the part on all 15 cars. True the wear items are usually worn out on all the cars though. I am keeping my eye out for a good ALH parts car to have for parts though.

I do realize at some point the MK4s will be rare in the junkyard, which is why I want my own parts car.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
What amazes me is the MK4's in the wrecking yards that were totaled by the owners insurance company that have what I consider to be extremely minimal damage. I'm talking about replacing a door or a fender from another Jetta of the same color of which there are plenty! Only I don't want a car with a salvage title.

If you are carrying full coverage on your MK4 thinking that any little ding will be covered, I suggest you call your insurance and find out what amount they will total it at.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't bother calling your insurance company. The slightest ding and they will total a MK4. Mine had $5000 in damage due to the PS rear door being hit and the rear quarter panel. They totaled it in a heartbeat. They offered me $2200 and I got them up to $3500. (too low IMO, but I took what I could get) I cut out part of the fender and I am saving the car for my daughter to drive in high school.