B20 in austin Tx

steven50

TDI
none
I just noticed that Shell now has B20 at one of the stations I use. Any issues I should be aware of. I have an 06 jetta. Any prep before using. Will I notice any difference or is it just an environment thing? thanks

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
biggest concern will be that VWoA does NOT warranty B20, they only warranty up to B5. there are rumors that might change, but as of now if you have a fuel system problem and they find out you were using >B5 you'll be stuck with the bill yourself.

Shell is a reputable dealer, but it would still be good to ask about ASTM certification for their fuel. the biggest problem with BioD (as it is with regular D2) is BAD fuel. there is nothing inherantly wrong with BioD, but if you use someone's homebrew and they haven't properly made the fuel you could end up with all kindsa weird stuff in there.

i'd recommend you try out the B20 if you're willing to take the "risk" on your warranty. it's better for both the environment, and your conscience.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Runonbeer I believe is responsible for the Shell stations having this available. He is here on this list as well. I believe his fuel is tested and meets spec. I have used it for the last 10,000 miles and no problems at all! Matter of fact I need some more now.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
And thanks for the biofuel options. I feel lucky having it all around me and easy to find. B100 around and lots of B20 locations. Most don't have it this good!

dmwogan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI, 5A
B20

Last I checked 19 Shell's offered B20 from Austin Biofuels.

Speaking of Austin Biofuels, Rob, I'll try to call you again this week to see if you can take a look at my car.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Yes, please call (even though I'm pretty sure I still have your number here somewhere) I'm a very disorganized individual, I appologize.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
[busting balls]
oh yah, nothing like buying fuel form a "very disorganized individual". that inspires confidence"
[/busting balls]

but seriously, congrats on bringing BioD to the people. i'd love to quite my job and make BioD full time here in Omaha, there is 1 B20 location and 1 B100 location and the B100 location is a real pain in the ass to purchase from. just filling my tank is like an hour long experience.

Runonbeer, do you use WVO or virgin for your BioD?

dmwogan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI, 5A
runonbeer said:
Yes, please call (even though I'm pretty sure I still have your number here somewhere) I'm a very disorganized individual, I appologize.
No worries.

Txst

Veteran Member
TDI
Shadow Blue 06 Jetta TDI
dmwogan said:
Last I checked 19 Shell's offered B20 from Austin Biofuels.

Speaking of Austin Biofuels, Rob, I'll try to call you again this week to see if you can take a look at my car.
What is the cost of the B20 there in Austin at the Shell stations? And what is D2 going for there currently? Just curious...thanks. Here in San Antonio (where we have no Biodiesel at all), diesel is going for $2.73 as of today. RUG is $2.44

dmwogan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI, 5A
Txst said:
What is the cost of the B20 there in Austin at the Shell stations? And what is D2 going for there currently? Just curious...thanks. Here in San Antonio (where we have no Biodiesel at all), diesel is going for $2.73 as of today. RUG is $2.44
At S. First and Slaughter (where I fill up) it was 2.79 last fillup. Not too sure about D2. The only place I pass by regularly that has D2 is a Texaco on Slaughter that is always more expensive, by at least 10 cents. I'll check tomorrow some places and give an update.

RUG at the same Shell is 2.51.

Wow, no bioD in San Antonio?:confused:

dmwogan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI, 5A
An update:

B20 at S. First and Slaughter (Shell) is now $2.72
D2 at Texaco is $2.84
D2 at Shell on south south Manchaca was 2.76

Rug is around 2.45 - 2.49