BHW into 2001 Allroad APB wiring plenum connector changes

NMDieselExplorer

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon 6 speed ELN conversion
Hi all. i'm doing a 2001 Allroad BHW conversion from a 2005 B5.5 TDI Passat. I am checking to see if anyone has a master list of the changes required to wire up the main engine harness in the plenum connector box. It looks like some changes are required for various inputs and outputs as well as the reverse lights switch on the 6 speed manual (the Allroad is a factory 6 speed, so no reverse light wiring in an automatic transmission harness) to get everything functioning properly. Thought I would check before plunking down $200+ at Bentley online for wiring diagrams.
Also, has anyone ever tried running the B5.5 Passat Instrument cluster in an Allroad? Was thinking of trying to avoid Immo delete and getting a proper diesel tach and cluster with glow plug light by swapping out the lock cylinders in the ignition and using the cluster and ECU from the B5.5. That way I can also keep the accurate odometer for the B5.5. Was lucky enough to find a B5.5 donor with only 120k and malfunctioning autotragic for only $800.
Thanks for any help.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Hi all. i'm doing a 2001 Allroad BHW conversion from a 2005 B5.5 TDI Passat. I am checking to see if anyone has a master list of the changes required to wire up the main engine harness in the plenum connector box. It looks like some changes are required for various inputs and outputs as well as the reverse lights switch on the 6 speed manual (the Allroad is a factory 6 speed, so no reverse light wiring in an automatic transmission harness) to get everything functioning properly. Thought I would check before plunking down $200+ at Bentley online for wiring diagrams.
Also, has anyone ever tried running the B5.5 Passat Instrument cluster in an Allroad? Was thinking of trying to avoid Immo delete and getting a proper diesel tach and cluster with glow plug light by swapping out the lock cylinders in the ignition and using the cluster and ECU from the B5.5. That way I can also keep the accurate odometer for the B5.5. Was lucky enough to find a B5.5 donor with only 120k and malfunctioning autotragic for only $800.
Thanks for any help.
The best way to go would be to get a matching ECU, Cluster and the key chip which you can implant into your current key.

I’ve also been advised it’s best to just swap a complete engine and dash b5.5 tdi harness into the receiving car,

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I picked up a cluster from a British A6 TDI for my AllRoad BHW swap. Worked perfect and made everything look and perform stock. Did the immo on the ECU. Doing it the way you suggested is a lot more complicated.

bbob203, that advice does not apply to a AllRoad swap. Only to the B5.5 gasser to TDI swap. The AR has climatronic and several other electronic gizmos that are not in the Passat.

NMDieselExplorer

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon 6 speed ELN conversion
Yeah, swapping the dash wiring harness would not work for an Allroad I don't think, unless one wanted to change out lots of other items under the dash.

European TDI A6 clusters are certainly easy enough to find on eBay and they're affordable. Was your replacement cluster one for an immobilizer car? Or were all ROW C5 A6s equipped with immo? And what about getting the air suspension communicating with the cluster? Just a coding change?

Mostly I wanted to see if anyone had a master sheet with directions on which wires need to be changed to which pins in the connectors in the plenum box to get everything working. Trying to keep the budget down and not pay the licensing fee to Bentley for online access to the repair manuals, which of course would have all the info I need to determine what I need to change in terms of circuits. I just might have to do that.

I have the engine in and swapped out the AC hoses and receiver drier, as well as the intercooler bracket on the driver's side for the BHW engine. All pretty straightforward. Just need to figure out the wiring.

Thanks.

Last edited: