Just Picked Up a 2015 Golf!

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
So as a previous TDI owner (1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT), I was very sad to see mine go. But just last week, my wife's Subaru snapped the timing belt at 194k. We decided it was time to get her into something newer and ultimately settled on a great example 2015 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT. We are very excited and hopefully taking delivery this week. I read a lot about these cars "post fix" and it seems like the Gen 3 is the way to go. Once the dealer gave us the details on the TDI warranty it was almost a no-brainer. Given that we haven't owned the car pre fix I am curious to see how it will drive in the long term. Either way, I am very excited to be a TDI owner once again and to have a reason to visit these forums more frequently! Will hopefully be tracking MPG and monitoring over time.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
We purchased it at Rochester VW in Rochester, NH. They seem to have the largest number of post-fix TDIs in the area, and good prices too!

gwc

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Nice!

I got a 2015 Golf TDI 6MT back in April. It was a CPO with 13k on the clock. Umm...take my money please LOL. Joking aside I spent a lot of time looking for this car and was lucky to find it. I almost settled on a slightly older one but ultimately I’m glad I got the 2015.

I love this car so far. It is hands down the best riding and driving car I have ever owned.

So far the only issue I’ve had has been the AdBlue injector leak which was fixed under the CPO / Powertrain warranty for free by the selling dealer. This is a well known issue.

I average around 48-50mpg in mine - approx 50 mile round trip commute daily that is 2/3 highway 1/3 city streets.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Ours is a CPO as well, the warranty is awesome! Picked the car up last night. I haven't heard of the AdBlue injector leak but I will keep my eyes out. I'm excited to start tracking mileage on it. My daily driver now is a 2013 Honda Civic Si, so maybe driving an NA car has conditioned me otherwise, but I feel like this new TDI has a LOT of turbo lag. Maybe it's the way the "fix" alters the tune for better economy? It just feels like you have to really lean into the pedal before anything happens. Is this anyone else's experience? Granted I used to own a MK4 TDI I am used to how a diesel drives. Just my experience so far

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Having had only NA cars before I agree with the turbo lag.

I think a part of it is the throttle mapping since it seemed to be a little less when I changed the throttle settings with OBDEleven.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The poor response on tip-in is a characteristic of how VW has set up fueling to meet emissions standards. A tune will fix that. Rocketchip has a tune that significantly increases fueling on tip-in and makes the car drive more like an older TDI. Huge improvement.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what I figured. I would love to tune the car, but I don't want to void the 11yr/162k warranty. Will just have to get used to it I suppose.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I decided that "getting used to it" for 11 years wasn't really an option. And I'm pretty confident that I won't invoke any warranty issues during the term, in part because I don't drive my '15 a lot and it'll probably age out of the warranty before it gets anywhere near 162K miles. I don't plan on having the Stage 2 fix done, but I could have it flashed back to stock and take it in if I change my mind. Also, the tune reduces the stress on the emissions system, most likely resulting in longer component life.

I think if this were your only car you'd adjust. But I have three tuned rotary pump TDIs that are very responsive, so the '15 felt a bit doggy every time I got in it. It's much better now.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Those are good points. This car will be my wife's daily driver and our weekend/long trip car. I've only driven it twice, and it has felt very doggy after getting out of my Honda (which is by no means a fast car). We'll see how we adjust to it over time, but ultimately I don't think she has or will notice the difference. It would be interesting to drive a tuned car, however I feel like that would only make me want to tune ours. We'll see how it plays out. Our car was purchased with the phase 1 and phase 2 fix completed so we don't know otherwise. Might be much harder to live with if I still had my MK4. I miss that car.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Just replaced my son’s 2015 Golf TDI S with a 2015 Golf TDI SE with lighting package, driver assistance package, and monster mats. The new car has 16K miles, 20 months factory warranty remaining, and I paid $16,250 OTD. Got that back from insurance plus a tiny bit more.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice! That 2015 should have the extended TDI emissions warranty in addition to the factory warranty no? Been loving ours so far, already put over 2k miles on it in just over a month. We've been getting 45+ mpg. We also got a vanity plate, "DZLGATE". Someone else in New Hampshire already has "DSLGATE" apparently so we had to go with a Z.