Starter turns over with battery connected, no key

blkhatsilhouette

TDI
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta TDI
Hey everyone, I’m finishing up a big rebuild/swap project of an ALH standard into a 1.8 Wolfsburg auto. I went to hook up the battery this morning and the starter is trying to crank, no key in the ignition.

The starting interlock relay is wired correctly, with pin 8 going to the starter. Red positive hooked up from battery.

Not sure what this could be. Any ideas?

blkhatsilhouette

TDI
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta TDI
I’ve got 12v on the ignition 50b terminal that connects to the clutch/starting interlock relay pin 2 when the key is off (starter is just disconnected right now). Any idea if this terminal 50b should have constant power when key is in off position?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
With the battery connected, disconnect the small and the large wires at the starter. Be very careful to not short the starter end of the big wire to ground with the battery connected.

If you then reconnect the big wire and the starter still turns with the small wire disconnected, the solenoid is stuck on. Try rapping it with a hammer to free it if that is the case.

Also, the small wire when disconnected from the starter should have zero volts on it with the key off and the battery connected. If there is power on it, note the color code and head upstream to where that color code goes into the next electrical device, probably the start relay or clutch switch.

Last edited:

blkhatsilhouette

TDI
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta TDI
Fixed.. geez... I put the red/gray wire that goes to the clutch switch and starter interlock relay on the wrong terminal at the ignition...

The reason I even touched this is that the 50b connection on the ignition switch is a larger gauge wire on a standard vs. and auto... wasn't 100% sure, but I figured I'd just cut the old one and run up a wire from an old harness. When I removed the pin and cut the wire, I accidentally put the terminal into the unused 'p' position of the ignition switch, which apparently gets constant voltage.

Thanks for the help!