MN Chat Thread

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
I'm gettin the rack! :D (ok, so I won't rub it in or anything)

Wooooooo! I also have just put my summer tires back on, so now I'm really sportin. There are a set of Koni FSD's waiting for me... so if any of you locals want to see how the FSD's work I'll have them installed in the near future. I'll have to charge $25 per ride so I can help pay for them!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Now you got me wondering if BW was intested in the rack or a GTG. Looks like not interest in a GTG, which is fine.

I'm hoping that the wind resistance of the rack will slow Stefan down

somepunk22

Veteran Member
I could be talked into a GTG whenever. I have a dirty egr valve, and exhaust cooler that I don't need. If anyone wants them, make an offer. Both worked fine when I pulled them.

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
all right, I'm in the mood for a timing belt, I contacted Brad a bit ago, but then a bunch of travel plans switched from Jetta to Jets so I didn't need the belt right away. I've now got 78K and wondered what the status of the GtG is. I want to drive to Asheville the last week in April and would rather take the Jetta than the Passat. Also the first week is spring break for #1 and I wanted to drive to IA to look at a property for sale, so.... sometime between the 8th and 22nd. Does that work for anyone? Spam..your place?, Stefan? newbs with nice digs? My house won't work, the garage is only 1 car and is kinda dark. I'll get in touch with Brad if we have more that one TB to do, otherwise I'll just schedule a time for myself.

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd be ok with a GTG - but only if I can get help with a few things on my cars! (at my house that is..) I have a 4 car garage so there's plenty of room here... but it would have to work out with my schedule.

I want to get aribagz in the passat and I have Koni FSD's that need installing in my jetta... so I've got things to do. :)

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Possibly . . . RE: GTG in St. Cloud . . .

Spamjohnson said:
Any interest, beside Viking Rob and myself for a April GTG in St. Cloud?

Sam
I'm in Shakopee. Depending on timing, I might be able to show up and add to the confusion . . .

I probably need to make sure I didn't miss any of the discussion of what's on the plan . . .

I've got a number of things that I need to do to my cars, not necessarily things I'd plan to do in St. Cloud:
Passat - front wheel bearings and fix/replace donwpipe for starters . . .
Beetle - clean intake, disable EGR, disable PCV for starters . . .

Farmboy/Tom

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i've got a few things to do myself, and can help with some of the simpler things, but am up in bemidji and might be tricky to make it to a GTG...

-panzer plate and zerostart heater install in the golf (bought from Diesel Components in burnsville $47)
-stanadyne fm-100 fuel filter setup in the jetta
-various e-code wiring to do in both cars, but likely do that on my own time

i do have a number of miscellaneous stock parts, most probably useless, some for free some for sale, if anyobody happens to need them.
-2 sets of black stock carpet mats, near mint condition, for 04.5+ cars with the oval clips
-2 stock headlight switches
-1 stock intererior dashlight switch
-1 PD engine cover (and 1 broken one)
-2 sets of stock side mirrors - just the mirror glass, not the whole thing
-1 soon to be available stock golf headlights, low miles, 7k miles now
-1 soon to be available stock plastic belly, 7k miles now
-2 sets of the plastic housing (2 pieces each) that cover the back of the driver side headlight housing - these are not the actual backing of the headlight housinng but the two plastic pieces that hold the wire running to the hood latch.
-2 sets of the mounting bolts/brackets that hold on the PD engine cover
-1 stock shift linkage from my 05 jetta 5spd

EDITed to add my floor mats i forgot i had.,..

Last edited:

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Well - how about it gang? are we going to schedule a GTG at my place?? I'll have to move the camper out of the garage so there can be 3 cars in there at once, but that's no problem. I'm thinking a saturday?

April 8th, April 22nd, May 6th are open right now for my garage...

I have the following parts if anyone wants them:
- Jetta E-codes
- stock lightswitch
- 4-spoke leather steering wheel for a MK4 (no airbag)
- I WANT a 3-spoke airbag

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
newguy said:
Well - how about it gang? are we going to schedule a GTG at my place?? I'll have to move the camper out of the garage so there can be 3 cars in there at once, but that's no problem. I'm thinking a saturday?

April 8th, April 22nd, May 6th are open right now for my garage...

I have the following parts if anyone wants them:
- Jetta E-codes
- stock lightswitch
- 4-spoke leather steering wheel for a MK4 (no airbag)
- I WANT a 3-spoke airbag
4/22 is OK for me, either in St. Cloud or NW metro.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
4/8 also is open. 5/6 is out. Basically, my goal with this is to change the brake fluid. What do I need for parts for this job, and what help might I get?

Last edited:

somepunk22

Veteran Member
Does anyone have experience with driver side door windows, and/or dropping the headliner to work on the sunroof?

4/22 and 5/6 work for me.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I'm interested in
-2 sets of black stock carpet mats, near mint condition
-1 stock intererior dashlight switch
-2 sets of the plastic housing (2 pieces each) that cover the back of the driver side headlight
Please let me know how much you want for them. I live in Sioux Falls, SD, I go to Bloomington a lot and we can set a time where and when I can picked them up. Thanks!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
losha, pm sent. i forgot to clarify, these mats are for the 04.5+ cars, the ones that have the oval clips...

OneFeather

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS, Platinum Gray
Very new to all this.

on Saturday I purchased a Jetta TDI and proceeded to put on 250 miles. The more I drive it the more pleased I am with the decision. However, I purchased it used with 37,xxx miles on it and it will be due for a 40,000 mile tune up soon. Can anyone recommend a good diesel mechanic? I live in Brooklyn Park, MN.
Thanks for any help. I hope to be a more knowledgeable poster to this forum for a long time to come.
on satureday

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
OneFeather -

Welcome to the club!!! I also live in Brooklyn Park! if you read the FAQ on this site you will find that there isn't all the "tune up" related things to do on your car like gas cars need. BUT there are some things you should be aware of that don't pop up on gas cars too...

We are (halfheartedly) working on putting together a GTG at my place in the upcoming weeks, so keep your eyes peeled to this thread. On second thought maybe I'll start a new thread for the GTG.

welcome anyhow!

OneFeather

TDI
Thanks for the welcome newguy. I see you have a hitch on one of your TDIs too. The clitcher for me on my Jetta was that it came with a Class II hitch. I got it at Luther Mazda, on Brooklyn Blvd. A diesel is the only small car I would ever think about buying with a hitch.

I will keep an eye out on this string but I have a silly question. I have deduced that a GTG is a gathering of TDI owners, but what is it an abbreviation for? :confused:

I do not want to get this way off track, but WHERE do you get your oil changed? Somewere in the area or do you do it yourself?

Thanks,

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
OneFeather

GTG = Get To Gether, if it happens, join us, you'll meet some interesting people, who share the interest in TDI's. One problem is you might get the "upgrade" bug, and end up spending 1000's of dollars on Chips/lights/mirrors/sound systems.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
You can do it a couple of different ways.

Not sure what the differences might be b/w my '00 Beetle and your '04. I bought a tool to pressurize the system last summer when I bled my brakes, you're welcome to borrow it. It makes an easy one-man job of things. More than happy to help, though, too.

vikingrob said:
<snip> Basically, my goal with this is to change the brake fluid. What do I need for parts for this job, and what help might I get?

aesh

TDI
01 Jetta
It sounds like there are a fair number of TDI-ers in the metro area. Pretty neat :) I've noticed there's at least one member near St. Cloud (where I live). I may have to start hitting up some GTGs so I can learn the ways of the TDI.

I just bought my first "new" car -- 01 Jetta, which is also my first non-Asian car. I find I'm having a hard time driving my wife's Corolla now that I'm getting used to the tranny on my TDI :D

Now that I've got one, I'm sure noticing a lot more diesels on the road than I did before.

OneFeather

TDI
I am sorry to say I am going to pass on the event. I am going down to Hastings to play paintball.

I was really looking forward to discussion regular maintainence and hop-ups. For another time I guess.

Just a short story......
As someone may know I just recently purchased the car from a Mazda dealership in Brooklyn Park. At some point during one of my visits the salesman mentioned that all the used cars get an oil change and inspection. After I got the car home, I dug through this web site in ernest. Come to find out the the oil grade is critical. So, I went back the see what type of oil was used in the oil change...... Come to find out that no oil change was ever done to the car, I wonder why? It couldn't have been the fact that the oil costs $9 a quart. The shop guy said something like the car must have come in and out really fast, so they did not have chance to do it. But to his word the sales guy said " we owe him an oil change and we need to give him an oil change". So, I have an appointment on Monday for my shot of 503.01. Yes, they are going to put in the requried oil, but I had to drag out the owners manual and show the head mechanic.

Have fun at the GTG.

Last edited:

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
OF -

I think it's supposed to be 505.01, isn't it? Good job on getting the free oil change! I'd also make sure they use an OEM filter if I were you.

We'll have to hook up sometime anyhow being both Brooklyn Park residents... BriTdi is also a Brooklyn Center TDI owner...

BriTdi

TDI
06 Golf - Blue Anthracite - Tiptronic
Yea, since I got mine (in Feb.) I've noticed allot more TDIs in the area. Prolly just cuse I have one tho. I find myself trying to catch-up to VW's to see if it's a TDI. Just after I got mine I saw a really nice Silver Beatle on Silver Lake Road south of 694. I haven't seen any other TDI Passat Wagons tho...

Paintball eh? I haven't played paintball in like three years, ever since my bosses daughter got lymes disease from playing in the woods, stinkin' ticks.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Bookworm has a TDI Passat wagon, downgraded from the TDI Jetta Wagon he had before. Sure is pretty though.