Fuel Filter Quiz

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL

One is new and one is used. How many miles you suppose are on that used one? Car runs Kum and Go Bio and Cenex Roadmaster XL Premium Bio.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Its actually 30,000 miles. Clean as a whistle just darker cause soaked with fuel. That bio keeps things clean. Once a year filter change.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Looks like possibly extended fuel filter change when using quality fuel... I only use Shell diesel, so I might extend the filter change after i do some comparison.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Looks like possibly extended fuel filter change when using quality fuel... I only use Shell diesel, so I might extend the filter change after i do some comparison.
It’s a 15 minute job and a $20 part. I don’t see the value in gambling my entire drivetrain over such a minuscule savings.

But hey, that’s just me.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What bio blend?

OCI? DPF delete?

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
THIS. Where do you procure that $7 filter?
I got my filter prices confused. But even at $20, a 50% increased interval saves a whole $10.

Is it probably fine? Yes. Would I gamble my engine on it? No.

But to answer your question. I buy exclusively from FCPEuro and IDParts as they’re local to me and overall excellent.

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I wish our filter was more advanced. Like having a vacuum gauge and water detector. That would eliminate any guess work, and should we take on bad diesel, we would get some alert before big drama.
I'm wondering if anybody has retrofitted something like that....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yeah they tried that water port on the first gen CJAA Olympic style oring filters, such little volume of fuel gets used between filter changes it's kinda moot and VW went with the cheaper option.

I'd rather put my trust in a quality fuel supplier rather than another VW sensor ;)

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I'd rather put my trust in a quality fuel supplier rather than another VW sensor ;)
Yes, but I do get 'diesel' anxiety when I have to get fuel in that low volume station in the middle of nowhere on longer trips.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That looks like any used CR fuel filter to me. I see dozens and dozens of them.
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel filter looked the same after 60k miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel filter looked the same after 60k miles.
Until it doesn't. Very occasionally (maybe three times) over the past 20 years I've gotten a bad tank of fuel that clogged the filter.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Until it doesn't. Very occasionally (maybe three times) over the past 20 years I've gotten a bad tank of fuel that clogged the filter.
Yeah, that's the only reason I did the services at 20k miles instead of the European interval of ~40k miles. I do a fair bit of cross country road tripping and get fuel at some low volume stations on occasion. But I never got a bad tank in the (paltry) 175k miles I drove my tdi.