Timing belt cover

gguazzoni138

TDI
2015 GSW
This might be a super stupid question, but how do I remove the timing belt cover on a 2015 GSW? I want to check the belt itself. Can I just disconnect the hoses from the fuel filter? That looks like it’s the only thing blocking access?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Why do you want to look at the belt? Visual inspection almost never tells you anything about the belts condition. Unhooking fuel lines will let air into the fuel system. Do not do that unless you know how to get it out. Seeing that your new here make sure you read around before you do something you'll regret. These cars can get stupid expensive if you foul something up looking and touching unnecessarily.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
The top timing cover comes out easily without disconnecting fuel lines. Remove the fuel lines support screws on the engine.
You will have to remove the DEF injector too and remove the screw to the pressure sensors. Not too hard really, about 5 min when you know what to do.
The bottom cover is a bit harder. You might have to remove the engine mount. But once you get the top cover you can use an endoscope to look at water pump.

I'm curious, what are you trying to do?

gguazzoni138

TDI
2015 GSW
I am new here and new to TDIs, I just bought this car about 2 months ago with about 100k. I’m like 95% sure the belt was changed but I just want to look at it visually. I’m excited about the car and have and will be slowly modifying it for the fun or doing it and driving it.

I just want to inspect it visually. I’m not seeing any symptoms of anything.

I I for sure didn’t want to disconnect the lines as I don’t have anything to suck the air out.

It looks like the covers would come off easily but the engine compartment is packed so tight I need to some how make room.

gguazzoni138

TDI
2015 GSW
Why do you want to look at the belt? Visual inspection almost never tells you anything about the belts condition. Unhooking fuel lines will let air into the fuel system. Do not do that unless you know how to get it out. Seeing that your new here make sure you read around before you do something you'll regret. These cars can get stupid expensive if you foul something up looking and touching unnecessarily.

What is the best way to diagnose a timing belt then?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The belt will not tell you anything visually any more than a light bulb that was just put in or one that is about to burn out would.

And if the job was done correctly, you really should not be able to tell anyway. Why do you suspect the belt was done? Look for any witness marks on any fasteners that would have had to have been moved. You can also check Carfax, as some services like that get reported. There would be some reason for having it done so early.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
What is the best way to diagnose a timing belt then?
Not sure if you can 'diagnose' anything, but you would certainly be able to tell if the belt is new(ish). Idlers, tensioner and water pump would be harder to ascertain they were replaced, but as Oilhammer mentioned, marks on bolts and nuts may indicate previous replacement. Check engine mount bolts for marks as well, as the mount has to come off to replace the belt.

gguazzoni138

TDI
2015 GSW
The belt will not tell you anything visually any more than a light bulb that was just put in or one that is about to burn out would.

And if the job was done correctly, you really should not be able to tell anyway. Why do you suspect the belt was done? Look for any witness marks on any fasteners that would have had to have been moved. You can also check Carfax, as some services like that get reported. There would be some reason for having it done so early.

I didn’t think 100,000 miles was early for a timing belt? I will look for mark that indicate it was done. Thank you I didn’t think of that. But is 100,000 early for a TDI?

Also I know in previous cars I’ve had they’ll put a sticker down with the date and mileage it was done. I couldn’t find one.

gguazzoni138

TDI
2015 GSW
Not sure if you can 'diagnose' anything, but you would certainly be able to tell if the belt is new(ish). Idlers, tensioner and water pump would be harder to ascertain they were replaced, but as Oilhammer mentioned, marks on bolts and nuts may indicate previous replacement. Check engine mount bolts for marks as well, as the mount has to come off to replace the belt.

I guess my biggest concern is I don’t know when it was done and if it hasn’t been I rather pay to have it done rather than spend money on improvements, you know?

There is not aloss in power or misfires or decreased mph, however, when I first start the car there is a subtle squeaking from the belt cover. I assume it’s a pulley? But I don’t really know. Maybe I’m just being paranoid. I just really love the car - it’s the nicest thing I’ve ever owned and I’m really looking forward to driving it and making it more fun and learning all about TDIs in the process. I’ve wanted one since I was about 16 and I’m 29 now.

Last edited: