How much does S vs SE vs SEL matter?

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I'm enjoying my time window shopping online for the post-fix VWs.
For some reason, I'm really leaning on the 2015s. I think it's because the warranty is so much sweeter. Did anyone go through their mental debate of getting a 2015 vs earlier 09-14s?

I looked up the differences in trim levels between the S, SE, and SEL. I vaguely remember them. Mostly the typical - fog lights, upgraded wheels, premium stereo, etc that every manufacturer does, but I'm aware the sunroof is also added upon the SE package.
Is this really a big deal I should consider? I've found there to be a ~$4000-6500 (which is ~30-50% of the car price!) difference between the lowest S trim, and the highest SEL.
Is it that big of a deal?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Depends on what you want. The seats on SEL's are longer base cushion than the other two. Some people with short legs don't like those.

I really like the lighting package so made sure I got that with an SE trim. Our winters are long and dark and these 2000 pound animals lurk next to the road all winter.

Some people like sunroofs and others hate them. I enjoy mine a lot. And I've learned I really like an interior that is not black.

The Fender sound system beats my 2009 hands down. I also like the phone connectivity. No need for a Nav system for me - Anchorage has one road north and one road south.

You pay your money and make your choices. I'm very pleased with my 2015.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Seats in SEL (Highline in Canada) have much better thigh and side bolsters as well - again, like Mike above stated: Some prefer that (for me it's a deal-maker), while others are either ambivalent or dislike them.

Also - much nicer trim (subtle carbon look), accent lighting, LED lighting all through the interior, killer sound system, and the HID headlights (with auto high beams) are amazing.

Only caveat for me has been with the Fender sound system; while it sounds good, if you want to swap in an aftermarket unit, the optical audio from the Fender head unit makes that all but impossible).

Having driven base trim cars for a number of years, I have to admit that I'm really liking the upgrades that come with the more premium trim levels.
Is it worth it?
For me, yes. For you...????

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
1) hate the pano roof. Bakes the crap out of the interior. Has history of breaking getting stuck, leaking and I rarely if ever use the one on my mk 4. It looks good, thats about it.

2)Navigation is a joke and google maps is all you ever need.

3) Seats are going to be a personal preference. I would sit in them and decide. You CAN always get the SEL seats and replace

4) The black instrumemnt panel is terrible and a fingerprint dust magnet. I do believe however that you can change this out as well

5) Do you want stick or DSG? Most sticks are in the S model range.

Some S models came with the optional lighting stuff so I would believe you might be able to retro fit

PS The high end seats are leather and require more maintenance and will no way be as durable as the "lower" end seats.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
4) The black instrument panel is terrible and a fingerprint dust magnet. I do believe however that you can change this out as well

Agreed. I much prefer the silver/grey trim to the black.

I think the sweet spot in the lineup is the SE (Comfortline) with the lighting package unless the seats in the lower trims bother your back.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Is it worth it?
For me, yes. For you...????
I'm not so much looking for someone to make a decision for me, but looking for someone to break the trims down into simple terms. For example, my friend bought a 2017 Ford Focus ST last year, that came with 3 trim levels. In his simple terms, he broke it down into "the highest trim level is the only one that doesn't come with awful seats so..."
Even though the top tier trim came with other goodies, such as navigation, fog lights, headlights that move when you steer, carbon interior trim, etc the real reason to get the higher trim level was to avoid the awful seats.
Which is something manufacturers will do, and have gotten very good at. Sometimes they will make the base model painfully ill-equipped, forcing you to strongly consider the higher trim level, that comes with several things you don't want just to get the one thing you do want.
The seats on SEL's are longer base cushion than the other two.
I really like the lighting package so made sure I got that with an SE trim. Our winters are long and dark and these 2000 pound animals lurk next to the road all winter.
Some people like sunroofs and others hate them. I enjoy mine a lot. And I've learned I really like an interior that is not black.
The Fender sound system beats my 2009 hands down. I also like the phone connectivity. No need for a Nav system for me - Anchorage has one road north and one road south.
You pay your money and make your choices. I'm very pleased with my 2015.
Thanks for your review.

1) hate the pano roof. Bakes the crap out of the interior. Has history of breaking getting stuck, leaking and I rarely if ever use the one on my mk 4. It looks good, thats about it.
Ahh yes... will definitely have to consider that as our winters get to 10F, but our summers can hit 100F...
2)Navigation is a joke and google maps is all you ever need.
Yeah. My feeling as well. Same with handheld navigation units - Garmin, Nuvi, TomTom and others - why would I spent $200, $300+ on a handheld navigation when Google Maps on my phone is literally just as good? Maybe something I'm missing...
3) Seats are going to be a personal preference. I would sit in them and decide. You CAN always get the SEL seats and replace
4) The black instrumemnt panel is terrible and a fingerprint dust magnet. I do believe however that you can change this out as well
5) Do you want stick or DSG? Most sticks are in the S model range.
Some S models came with the optional lighting stuff so I would believe you might be able to retro fit
PS The high end seats are leather and require more maintenance and will no way be as durable as the "lower" end seats.
Likely want a 6MT unless the DSG really impresses me. I don't know. I think you'r right about the 6MT being typically found in the lower trims.

Thanks for everyone's input. Seems like I'll just have to stop window shopping and actually go take a look at some of them!

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
I have the S and never wish for any of the higher trims' bells and whistles.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
4) The black instrument panel is terrible and a fingerprint dust magnet. I do believe however that you can change this out as well

Agreed. I much prefer the silver/grey trim to the black.

I think the sweet spot in the lineup is the SE (Comfortline) with the lighting package unless the seats in the lower trims bother your back.
so does anybody of you guys that dont like the black glossy trim want to swap with my silver ( brushed)?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I hate the look of the silver trim. Especially on the beige interiors.

The S cars don't have heated seats. I was annoyed that VW cut that option from the lower trim.

I fell in love with their HID lights on my GTI so I would probably go SE or SEL with lighting package if it was me.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
The S cars don't have heated seats. I was annoyed that VW cut that option from the lower trim.
Thankfully the Canadian base cars (Trendline) do come with heated seats. That would be a deal breaker if they didn't.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
i have an SEL. big fan of the black trim. big fan of the lighting package. big fan of the seats.

not a fan of the pano roof, and not a fan of 18" wheels. i am crazy, i know.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Trim level equipment and options get a little confusing between models. The only thing I like about the SEL are the seats. I don't like sunroofs or 18" wheels. Initially I thought I would hate the silver dash, but it's fine on my white on black GSW. And if VW's 15" wheels for that car weren't so ugly I would have asked my dealer to swap the stock 16s for 15s. We got lots of potholes here in the Northeast.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Trim level equipment and options get a little confusing between models. The only thing I like about the SEL are the seats. I don't like sunroofs or 18" wheels. Initially I thought I would hate the silver dash, but it's fine on my white on black GSW. And if VW's 15" wheels for that car weren't so ugly I would have asked my dealer to swap the stock 16s for 15s. We got lots of potholes here in the Northeast.
At first I didn't like the brushed aluminum trim either (w/ beige interior, no less), even considering a (real) wood trim kit, believe it or not! But its grown on me enormously and now I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I had the OE 17" Genevas and wanted 15"s for the same reason as you. I reluctantly went with a set of OE 15" Lyons (S TSI) while holding my nose. But now, while I don't quite swoon over them, I find them perfectly acceptable.

Its amazing what you can get used to or perhaps how you can learn to appreciate what a designer was trying to do while displacing your pre-conceived notions to the side.

Last edited:

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I have the S. Could care less about any features the S doesn't have. Has all I need. The seats in the S are just OK. I'd try out the SEL seats if you can compare both. If you like them better, I'd go with them. Otherwise I'd just got the S.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
17" wheels on the SEL were a dealbreaker for me. I drive a lot on gravel roads, and have zero use for the harshness. Happy with the extra headroom without the Pano compared to my '09. Fender sound system is more than adequate, equal to my '09 which had an added amp for a sub above the spare tire. HID's are nice for aging eyes. Love the 6sp M. My dream car, nice geezer substitute for a motorcycle. 65 mpg (Canadian) on long highway trips.

gwc

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I have an S model. Honestly the only thing I think I miss from my previous car (2007 Jetta Wolfsburg) is the heated seats which I might use 5 - 10 times per year tops living in NC.

I found a heated seat mat with a cigarette lighter plug on Amazon for pretty cheap to solve that problem :)

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
SEL with lighting and drivers assistance package. Love all of the features that comes with the highline! Now that my roof is leak free I love it too, but chose to install reflective film to keep the interior temps from soaring.

Love the piano black trim, love the leatherette sport seats, love the acc cruise, love the xenon lights, nice fender sound, love the 6mt

Ditched the 18" rims for 16s for better ride.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The difference now to purchace an sel model is very little more than an s. The headlights and seats alone are worth the difference, plus all the other nifty stuff, such as a better quality windshield without distortion. The new price differencel was 10,000 s to sel.

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
I've gotten a little offended that my choice in trim was trashed by one member then saying "here here!" when it was supported. LOL

Point is...different strokes for different folks.

Order guides are available on many dealer websites. Here's a link to one I like:

https://www.emichvw.com/vw-order-guides/

You should be able to go back to 2015 and compare options so you can narrow down what you like. Then of course sit in 'em and drive 'em.

Last edited:

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
it's all about the seats. We just did a 15 1/2 hour trip with 1 stop for fuel.

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
I bought my 2015 GSW S with dsg last December. With my mom and my son each in a 2014 Jetta Se with leatherette seats, a stepson in a 16 GSW TSI S and several long stints in dealer Passat SE loaners, I wasn't worried about the lower trim level seats. (and I'm a big guy so it really matters to me)

I am more of a "bang for the buck" car shopper and I really enjoy the amenities that my TDI S has. I have had a number a cars with sunroofs and it is a feature I use quite a lot living in FL, but the value of the S model for me sealed the deal. I'm a real sucker for a "stripper" (base model)

The TDI S does come with KESSY which I knew nothing about prior to owning this car... and I love that feature.

Really wish I had the glossy black interior trim (which I will happily trade my brushed trim for), but other than that and maybe the lighting package (which there are aftermarket options for)... can't say I really have any regrets. I really like this car!

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Every one has their own ideas

Everyone has their own ideas as to what they want.
I was moving from a 2005 TDI to the 2015.
I did not want the in-dash navigation, very happy with my Garmin and free updates (just an old flip phone)
I did want the sun roof.
That place me into the SE.
Added the lighting package during the build.
Added several aftermarket items. Mud flaps, window rain screen (WheatherTech), door edge trim, front hood protector.
After 120K miles I am still very satisfied with what I bought.
Payoff is 5 months.

Howard Garner

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
I wanted auto climate control (I know, I know. It was always one thing I missed when I went from a 2001 S4 Avant to a 2013 Tacoma and was constantly fiddling with the heat and fan controls to stay comfortable on long drives)

between that, and the seats, the SEL was the only choice for me. glad I could find a 6mt SEL with low miles and CPO. I was extremely disappointed in the DSG when compared with other VW models I've driven, maybe programming, but it was not an option for me. it took about a month to find one that ticked those few boxes for me and even then I bought it on the other side of the county. That was a year ago, they appear to be more widely available these days.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Would have loved to find an S with the lighting package... Never use heated seats, never use and hate the pano with all of its potential issues. Test drove several with the pano and every one of them had some issues. Yes it was nice when open... for about 5 minutes, then my head caught fire from the sun so...

the parking thing intrigues me... wonder if I can add that.

Didn't see the greatness of the fender compared to the base system and easier to upgrade afterward if needed

Wheels I can always add and change..

I almost always drive with the windows open... even with the AC on. so auto climate control means nothing to me.

If my GF wants heated seats, she can sit on me.

carrisco

TDI
In Process...
Hi All.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but as a new member, I thought better to ask a related question within this older thread than start a new topic..

What is 'standard' with the SEL trim? It's confusing because most the previous responses suggest the SEL trim is already loaded with the lighting package, panoramic sunroof, fog lights, etc.

Looking at a 2015 Golf TDI from afar and the dealer has it listed as SEL but I noticed right away that there are no fog lights and it doesn't appear to have the roof. Makes me think it's not an SEL as I have no other way to discern that from the photos.

I did do a basic google search for 2015 Golf TDI SEL trim but nothing was really helpful.

Thanks for any help!

-elc.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't trust the trim level seller claims. Run the VIN and get the equipment list.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Hi All.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but as a new member, I thought better to ask a related question within this older thread than start a new topic..

What is 'standard' with the SEL trim? It's confusing because most the previous responses suggest the SEL trim is already loaded with the lighting package, panoramic sunroof, fog lights, etc.

Looking at a 2015 Golf TDI from afar and the dealer has it listed as SEL but I noticed right away that there are no fog lights and it doesn't appear to have the roof. Makes me think it's not an SEL as I have no other way to discern that from the photos.

I did do a basic google search for 2015 Golf TDI SEL trim but nothing was really helpful.

Thanks for any help!

-elc.
i think all of the SEL golfs have the "sports" bolstered seats, which one does the car have?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - the SEL (Highline in Canada) "tell" for me has always been the leather (as opposed to "leatherette") sport seats, which have a defined thigh bolster.

Driver seat comes standard as "12-way power adjustable" - and as far as I can tell, that wasn't available anywhere but on SEL/Highline.

The bi-xenon headlights were a package add-on in both the SE and SEL trims.