OBD Test to Replace Tail Pipe Emissions test in Ontario, Jan. 2013

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Why is your car throwing an EGR code? Is it unplugged or removed? There is a trick called the MAF twist that was discovered by a member named NARFblast where you twist your MAF about 10 or 15 degrees and that is enough to trick the ECU to not throw an EGR code if you have it unplugged. You can give that a try.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=219593

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
There's not much point in EGR adaptation with ULSD, but it shouldn't cause a P3130.

You might have a bad MAF - you mentioned clearing a MAF code, and the ECU uses the MAF signal to figure out if the EGR is working.

This post is the best I've seen describing how it works and how to check if it's working.

Simon

Axxe

TDI
03 5spd ALH Wagon
Maf was replaced, the twist didn't work and it was way out of parameter so I replaced with brande new on Tuesday. Last night swapped vac lines, this morning bought a code scanner from crappy tire ($60 can't lose right?) and reset to zero. Then after 15 mins (exactly 25km) of driving to try and get the monitors ready the EGR code came up, now it's perpetual. Clear, and it's back after a km or two. Right now I'm going to see if I can get the monitors ready again and see if the MIL will pop on. Once I get to the shop I'll put some vacuum on the EGR to see if it moves. Negligent PO FTL.

Axxe

TDI
03 5spd ALH Wagon
So the EGR diaphragm doesn't hold vacuum. Anyone have a good used EGR valve?

rah

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
help please!!! I have a 2000 jetta tdi, 380k. Previous owner stripped one glow plug. Tried several times to remove by drilling, easy outs, etc..no luck. fortunately it still holds compression/no leaks, just a little trickier to start mid winter... BUT..my CEL is always on, and pulls the glow plug code. How do I pass the ontario drive clean?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
help please!!! I have a 2000 jetta tdi, 380k. Previous owner stripped one glow plug. Tried several times to remove by drilling, easy outs, etc..no luck. fortunately it still holds compression/no leaks, just a little trickier to start mid winter... BUT..my CEL is always on, and pulls the glow plug code. How do I pass the ontario drive clean?
Instead of drilling it yourself, why not get it fixed properly?

rah

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Can the glow plug 'on' temperature be adjusted? If it was set low enough (ie doesn't turn on at 2 deg C given it's warmer than that in ontario now), and I cleared the codes, would the CEL be tripped?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
It doesn't matter if it's 80 degrees out, you'll still get the CEL for the glowplug if one's destroyed and not plugged into the harness.

So really, your only choice is to get this fixed properly..

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
He can modify the plug harness and have a new one hooked up to it externally. This way the system still sees a good plug and the CEL will stay off. :)

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Since it is a 2000, it has the 2 wire harness. Strip about 1/2" of insulation from each wire and cross them together. Twist and tape. The ECU looks for a resistance variation between the 2 wires. If they are on the same circuit, there is no variation.

If you need help with it, I am in Whitby and can help and also clear the code once its done.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Since it is a 2000, it has the 2 wire harness. Strip about 1/2" of insulation from each wire and cross them together. Twist and tape. The ECU looks for a resistance variation between the 2 wires. If they are on the same circuit, there is no variation.

If you need help with it, I am in Whitby and can help and also clear the code once its done.

Nigel to the rescue!

rah

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Spliced the wires together, cleared the code, runs like a champ, no codes!!!...THANKS!!!
I'm constantly impressed by the know how of the individuals who contribute to this site!!!
( ps I did try the external plug also mentioned before wingnut posted. Used a short length of pipe and slipped the glow plug inside, and grounded. Still glowed red, and got very hot. A little too worrying, so I took it apart)

sidshock

Veteran Member
TDI
alh jetta
any place still doing the old visual test?
I'm good to Jan 2014, but I'd love to get it done now, and use it in jan 2014, and be good to 2016 if I even still have the car then!

I have no egr valve.
Also, I have stock ECU 2001 tdi.
And yes, I have the shiny check engine light.

OR:
Can I get a tune with EGR delete and fix my issue?

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
any place still doing the old visual test?
No, see thread title :rolleyes:

I'm good to Jan 2014, but I'd love to get it done now, and use it in jan 2014, and be good to 2016 if I even still have the car then!

I have no egr valve.
Also, I have stock ECU 2001 tdi.
And yes, I have the shiny check engine light.
Automatic fail :(

OR:
Can I get a tune with EGR delete and fix my issue?
Sure, for off road use only ;)

Simon

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Heard it on the radio this morning that the Premier is aware of the petition and the report that was released not that long ago, stating that the drice clean program is useless. Sign the petition if you haven't yet.

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Heard it on the radio this morning that the Premier is aware of the petition and the report that was released not that long ago, stating that the drice clean program is useless. Sign the petition if you haven't yet.

I have mixed feeling ref this, I realize it is kind of a money grab. But it did get alot of sh**t boxes off the road. People not willing to maintain there engines tend no to maintain brakes,front end etc. Working up in Petawawa where they don't have e-test its hard to believe the unsafe veh's travelling down the roads not to mention plumes of blue smoke I see olmost every day comming from tail pipes and i'm sure if you told someone they had to put $500.00 into there $500.00 car so it would pass an e-test they would just scrap it.

Andrew

Axxe

TDI
03 5spd ALH Wagon
Update on my story: Purchased a used functioning EGR valve, cleaned it out (was way way dirtier than the one on my car, my intake is also pretty clean just 3-5mm thickness of crud. Will still get cleaned/replaced eventually but for now it's not a burning fire. Passed the etest finally. The guys at the oil changers were saying that diesels got boned the hardest with the OBD2 change, but to be honest it's running like a champ right now so I don't regret having to fix it all up. My first full vented tank got me 880km with an automatic.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Axxe, glad things worked out. Nice meeting you.