Types of oil and where to buy?

Morgan78

TDI
2004 Reflex Silver TDI GLS
Ok, I'm a little hesitant to post this given what I have read over on the "Fuels and Lubricants" forum. It seems there is a ton of debate amongst some members as to what oil to use. First off, this is my first TDI ( 04 PD Golf at 128,000kms) so I just would like some pertinant information..not looking to spark arguements and such! So..
What is AMsoil? How is it different from other oils? All I understand is that I can use an oil as long as it's rated VW 505.01 or 506.01 or I can use a CG-4 or CH-4 that is 5w-40. Is my information correct?
I'm just a bit confused....:(
And where are good places to buy? Costco has Castrol deisel oil at a good price, but I can't figure out if it's full synthetic or not.
Can somebody help me?
Morgan

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Your car requires oil that is 505.01 approved. Period.
No Costco, Cdn Tire, or Wallmart oil will do.

Check out Precision Tuning, he is local to GTA and always has good stock of 505.01 oil.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Sweeps said:
Your car requires oil that is 505.01 approved. Period.
No Costco, Cdn Tire, or Wallmart oil will do.

Check out Precision Tuning, he is local to GTA and always has good stock of 505.01 oil.
Ah-hem. The PD can use any of the following:

Morgan, I'd do a search for 507.00 oil in Ca and see what you turn up. The rest of the stuff you're asking about is just "noise". Put it out of your mind. :)

Good luck with your shopping, and welcome aboard!!

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
dieseldorf got me. He's right.
Precision tuning also carries 507.00 oil.
506.01 oils have been discontinued up here from what I hear.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Morgan,

So far you have received 100% good info as well as all you really need to know about your cars' oil needs. Ignore anything else that may come along.

Bill

Morgan78

TDI
2004 Reflex Silver TDI GLS
So is it more important that it is rated VW 505.01 or 507.00? Or is it more important that it is CG-4,CH-4, etc? What is the information that tells me it is a full-synthetic (if it's not written on the bottle)?
PS I'm in the Burlington area..anyone else? My boyfriend is now making fun of me about how I'm going to leave him for my new German girlfriend...I told him Gretchen doesn't mind sharing! ;) I plan on posting pics of her when I can!

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Morgan78 said:
So is it more important that it is rated VW 505.01 or 507.00? Or is it more important that it is CG-4,CH-4, etc? What is the information that tells me it is a full-synthetic (if it's not written on the bottle)? PS I'm in the Burlington area..anyone else?
My boyfriend is now making fun of me about how I'm going to leave him for my new German girlfriend...I told him Gretchen doesn't mind sharing! ;) I plan on posting pics of her when I can!
More important to you are the VW ratings. It should say Synthetic on the bottle (Castrol sells one at Canadian Tire-get it on sale on occasion)

I work at CCIW under the Burlington Skyway Bridge, commute from Cambridge) WELCOME!!!

Gretchen? she should meet muffy, our other 'named' car out in the east end!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I'll keep it simple.

No more, no less.

It's not complicated. The other ratings you asked about DO NOT APPLY and must not be used in your particular car.

You can get the proper oil at your dealer as well as from vendors on this forum.

Enjoy your car!

Bill