Cruise control/turn signal wand upgrade

cyclonecoasters

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDi
Does anyone know if a 2001 Jetta cruise control/turn signal/highbeam wand can be swapped out for a 2002 wand? The newer wand has a better set of controls and makes it much easier to operate.

TDI_Lee

Veteran Member
TDI
b
The newer wand has a better set of controls and makes it much easier to operate.
Does it make it harder to accidentally flash the brights at people when setting the cruise control? If so I'd like to know if I could put one of these in my 2000.

cyclonecoasters

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDi
I wouldn't think so, unless you have really big clumsy hands. The action felt pretty light and smooth and the pressure is 90 degrees different than the highbeam action.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
What is the difference? I haven't see one especially between 2001 and 2002.

Can you elaborate?

Lito

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
the 2001 model has a slider switch on the face that faces the driver. To set/resume, you have to slide it away from the steering column (towards the door). For the coast, there is a large button on the end you have to press - this is not easy to slow down more than a little bit - I usually have to turn it off, coast, then reset it to the slower speed.

The newer models have a rocker switch on the end, instead of a large push button.

Not sure what direction is what function, only that it looks easier to operate when coasting.

The overall shape is the same.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
In answer to the question of whether it can be retrofitted, the answer is: yes. Oilhammer installed one in Old Navy's NB at a GTG at Old Navy's in January.

NothernSky

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, Model 2001, red
Is it Plug and Play?
The 2002 Cruise Control Stalk is way better than our 99-2001 stalks.
Also, it will match my Wiper Stalk for the MFA (actually is VERY similar).
It is time for the upgarde gurus

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
It's just remove steering wheel and unplugg old and plug in new and reinstall steering wheel.
I did the upgrade for same reason and to have the resume/accel at the tip of the stalk. Work great.
Thanks to oilhammer for the know how and tools.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Thanks to oilhammer for the know how and tools.
Ahem. He borrowed tools.
At least the 12mm 12-point (triple-square) bit to remove the steering wheel nut.

I think the switch number is 1J0 953 513.