Need new transmission for 06

blackkknight

TDI
Hey yall, I blew my 5 speed transmission on my 2006 Jetta on Thanksgiving day. The car has about 240,000 miles, looks like i sent a bolt or something through the bell housing. I'm having a really hard time finding a used 5 speed from a 2005 or 2006. Even rebuilds or something, does anyone have any advice where to find one?

The other option is to find a 6 speed from a 09 or newer. I've heard this can be expensive and not worthwhile, what are your thoughts on that?

Any help is appreciated!

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I performed a 6 speed upgrade on my 2005.5, sourced the trans and all the needed parts, as a kit from Darkside Developments in the UK.

Saw about a 500 RPM drop in 6th gear vs 5th gear, the other gear ratios are about the same, see no driving difference between the two.

I can provide details on my experience installing the 6sp if you decide to go that route.

The damage to your trans, is it leaking fluid? If just the bell housing is damaged, could it be welded?

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Yes, with the 6sp transmission a 02Q, a different flywheel, clutch kit, and starter is needed, I had them send me a SMF kit. The 6sp uses an internal slave cylinder/throwout bearing combination, so all that changes.

I contacted Cascade about rebuilding my trans, and while at it, putting the lower 5th gear into the box. It was going to be a few $100 less than 6sp conversion, in addition to buying a SMF clutch, so I just went with the 6sp.

That 6sp 02S trans looks nice, being brand new for $2000, you will get a lot of miles from it. The gear ratios, 1-4 are shorter (higher numbers) than the 02Q trans I have, and gears 5 & 6 are taller (lower numbers), so you should see less RPMs at a given speed in 5 & 6. And you can use the same 5sp clutch part numbers, since it uses the same external slave cylinder. Certainly I would expect you to install a new clutch, when you replaced the trans (either DMF or SMF).

And I replaced my EGR cooler while I had the transmission and axles out. Made the job a little easier, was still a pain getting to some
of the hex bolts.

Last edited:

gaddman

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta (RC3, PD150 Injectors, GTB1749V, 2.5" Downpipe), 04 Touareg V10 (RC1)
Don't the MK4 manual transmissions work in the MK5? If I remember, the MK4 has a speed sensor that will not be used...not needed in the MK5. Just can't go the other way...using the MK5 trans in a MK4. Not sure if the clutch is the same between them.

Wmt6820jetta

TDI
2005.5 jetta
I have a good case and gearset if you need it, all it needs is diff bearing replaced, diff is good just bearings are worn I can tare down the transmission easily and give you just the case for a very reasonable price

Pm me if intrested

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
There is an automatic one here:

Teddy Bear’s Auto Parts & Salvage Inc.
1544 Swordbill Dr.
Holiday, FL 34690
Local : (727) 937-8348
http://teddybearsusedparts.com/contact
Monday – Friday : 8am – 5:30pm

I pulled a fuel hose off this car yesterday.

Last edited: