2b or not 2b? (2.0 Gen 3 emissions mod)

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
So this has already been stated elsewhere: If vehicle was purchased with phase 1 already applied, and vehicle has less then 64k km (40k miles) for DSG, then only phase 2a (second NOx sensor and related software) would be done. Then after vehicle has more than 112k km (70k miles), phase 2b would be performed that would replace the DPF, oxidation catalyst and selective catalytic reduction converter.
My letter from VW states exactly this, so I called my dealer to confirm that I would only be getting phase 2a done since I bought my 2015 GSW new in May 2017 with phase 1 applied, and it is a DSG and has less than 64k km (40k miles). To my surprise, the dealer said that I would be getting both kits at the same time. When I stated that only 2A should be performed as per my letter from VW, they said they could not answer that and were only going by the information they have. They suggested I contact VW with the question. Being in Canada I contacted VW customer care, and they refused to answer any questions relating to phase 1 or 2 emissions modifications, instead they directed me to contact the TDI settlement center for answers. I called the settlement center, and they said the question has nothing to do with them (which I agree with since I have no claim), and said I should call VW. So, a very simple question that no one wants to answer, go figure.
Interestingly, the dealer also mentioned that I should not delay to long in getting the phase 2 work done, as VW may terminate the phase 2 emissions repair offer at some point. I doubt this last point as I do not believe there is an expiry date on any open recalls, including the emissions recall.
Has anyone else in this situation have this happen where 2a and 2b were both done when only 2a should have been done? It would be nice to delay the hardware replacement until after 112k km (70k miles).

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You never state how many miles you actually have on the car currently. Mine only had about 10k miles and only 2a was done. There have been posts where both 2a and b were done to under mileage cars. None have been under like mine was though that I can remember reading. Mine was also a new 2015 bought in 2017 like yours.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What I've heard is the owners of NOS cars bought in 2017 they get both kits regardless of mileage. This begs the question that for the remainder of the warranty you'll be making another trip to the dealer for a failed something or other, maybe 120-150K. We're going to be waiting until over 40K to get both kits.

Where as original owners (bought back in '15) and have less than 40K only get 2A kit.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Wrong. As I posted above my car is a NOS 2015 bought in 2017 with Phase 1 done. When I took it in only phase 2a was done to it. You must of heard some bad info or they just changed their mind and only do a full phase 2 on all cars now. Or maybe just roll the dice and do which ever one comes up. Who knows? I would insist they follow the settlement rules if your car is very low mileage, otherwise it makes little difference.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
My GSW currently has 45k km (28k miles). When I called the dealer and said the car has less than 40k miles, they didn't ask for the current mileage. The only thing they asked was when I bought the car. So it would appear the actual mileage makes no difference even though the letter from VW is very specific as to what happens with respect to mileage. Funny that at the end of my VW letter is says that if I have any further questions to contact them, but they refuse to answer any questions when I did. Perhaps like Lightflyer1 said, a roll of the dice seems to determine what you get.

Just for shiggles, I contacted another dealer in my area and asked them the same question. They confirmed that if car was bought new in 2017 with phase 1 applied, and is DSG and has less then 40k miles, then only 2A would be done (2nd NOx sensor and software), and that the work would take about 2.5 hours to complete. However, because I have had issues with this dealer in the past, I would rather not go there. I think what you get depends on the mood of the dealership on any particular day. If the other hardware is replaced early, then you may be looking at another replacement down the line. This is fine if its still covered under warranty (minus the inconvenience), but will suck if your just outside of the warranty.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Take your pick. Use your first choice dealer and get 2a and 2b done or your other dealer and get 2a only. No matter which you choose, the warranty limits/coverage is the same and nothing really changes for you. This is one of the reasons I bought the stop sale car in the first place. The warranty is good for 162k miles or 11 years.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My guess is a dealer can charge VWoA twice for A and B at two different times, where as if it was all done at once they'd have a few hours less to charge.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is defined in the settlement what is supposed to happen. Why would the dealer then choose the least profitable method, when following the rules gets them more. According to your conspiracy theory. In the big scheme of things it makes little difference for the OP. The warranty ends at 162k or 11 years regardless.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Obviously others are having mixed results regardless of what a paper says, such as Chiroman two different phone calls. Just trying to get in the head of the dealers. There are quite a few others here reporting getting both A and B done on NOS well under the 40K threshold.

Just because it's on a piece of paper doesn't mean all dealers follow them (I think that's rule number 1 in the VW service tech hand book). ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't just a piece of paper, it is a legal document and if push comes to shove it can be enforced. But to what end? Like I said, the warranty still covers to 162k miles and 11 years. Just get the fix done and use the warranty if needed.

Some people have easier times dealing with situations than others. Some people are their own worst enemy.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
For mine, the dealer explained that they are required to call a dedicated TDI emissions number, input the car's data and the system then determines which phase is required; the dealer has no further role in the decision. In my case, the determination was consistent with what I expected from the mileage and acquisition category (Phase 2A - 14K miles, NOS purchase).

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
For mine, the dealer explained that they are required to call a dedicated TDI emissions number, input the car's data and the system then determines which phase is required; the dealer has no further role in the decision.

That would make sense and provide some consistency, but dealerships seem to be doing whatever they want.