First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

MondoTech

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
How short is short? I think the extra warm up speed might actually help things for people who take relatively short trips, compares to the old strategy. Higher fuel consumption but lower load on the DPF.
Like 5-10 minutes and just a few miles. Drive 5-10 minutes, go in the store or whatever, come back out within 30 minutes and drive home. I work from home now so it's mostly just trips to the grocery store or a restaurant.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
So long as the total trip is a half hour or so, I would not worry about that use case. You have the longer trips to clean things up.

motuman

TDI
Q7
I have been looking at '14 & '15 Audi Q7 TDI's.

- Most of them already have the fix or course, but one seller doesn't seem to be aware of the fix and when I pull up the Carfax, there is no mention of the emission update.

- I know Carfax is dependent on the service provider inputting the info, so it is not always reliable, is there anyway to confirm if the diesel gate fix has been completed via the VIN?

- I'm sure most dealers could look that up, but I'm not sure if they would be willing to help me with the info if I'm not buying the vehicle from them?

- If I find a Q7 that has not been updated (very rare I'm guessing) is there still a cash settlement available to owners who complete the fix?

- Is it even possible to transfer ownership (to California) on a vehicle that has not had the diesel fix?

Thank you!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have been looking at '14 & '15 Audi Q7 TDI's.

- Most of them already have the fix or course, but one seller doesn't seem to be aware of the fix and when I pull up the Carfax, there is no mention of the emission update.

- I know Carfax is dependent on the service provider inputting the info, so it is not always reliable, is there anyway to confirm if the diesel gate fix has been completed via the VIN?

- I'm sure most dealers could look that up, but I'm not sure if they would be willing to help me with the info if I'm not buying the vehicle from them?

- If I find a Q7 that has not been updated (very rare I'm guessing) is there still a cash settlement available to owners who complete the fix?

- Is it even possible to transfer ownership (to California) on a vehicle that has not had the diesel fix?

Thank you!
While I think you are running out of time for the research/questions you have, you can tell quickly if any emissions modifications have been made by looking at the underside of the hood, closes to the driver side windshield - if any emissions modifications have been made, there will be stickers on the under side of the hood saying what was done, when it was done, and how many miles were on the vehicle when it was done.

I would start with that. If no stickers are present, it's highly likely the car has had no emissions modification work yet and likely has settlement money available yet. But the claim submission must be made by Sept. 1 (just 4 days from now) to determine final eligibility. I think you have to show a registration/title when you make the claim. Not much time left to accomplish all that.

This is the situation with the 2.0L settlement - I'm not sure if the 3.0L settlement matches this response or are somewhat different. Can someone who has more background with the 3.0L settlement chime in?

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
While I think you are running out of time for the research/questions you have, you can tell quickly if any emissions modifications have been made by looking at the underside of the hood, closes to the driver side windshield - if any emissions modifications have been made, there will be stickers on the under side of the hood saying what was done, when it was done, and how many miles were on the vehicle when it was done.

[...]

This is the situation with the 2.0L settlement - I'm not sure if the 3.0L settlement matches this response or are somewhat different. Can someone who has more background with the 3.0L settlement chime in?
You can also check https://www.audidiesellookup.com/ which may or may not be up to date.

The 3.0L Amended Class Action Settlement Agreement states:

2.17. “Claim Submission Deadline for Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees” means the latest date by which an Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee must submit a Claim in order to participate in the Claims Program. The Claim Submission Deadline for Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees of Generation One vehicles is June 1, 2019. The Claim Submission Deadline for Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees of Generation Two vehicles is December 31, 2019.
Likewise, Amended Exhibit 2 repeats these dates in the short form notice for Generation 1 and Generation 2, respectively:

All Owners and Lessees must submit a valid claim before June 1, 2019 to participate. You do not have to decide now
Owners and Lessees who file a valid claim will be eligible to receive part of their payment right away, without having to wait for the Emissions Compliant Repair to become available. All Owners and Lessees must submit a valid claim before December 31, 2019 to participate. You do not have to decide now.
Amended Exhibit 3 states the program end dates for Generation 1 and 2 vehicles (this is December 31 for the 2.0L settlement):

All other Class Members must submit a complete and valid claim by June 1, 2019 (for Generation One Eligible Vehicles) or by December 31, 2019 (for Generation Two Eligible Vehicles) to get a Buyback, TradeIn, or an Approved Emissions Modification, plus Restitution Payment or Repair Payment as applicable. You will need to complete any Buyback, Trade-In or an Approved Emissions Modification by the time the Class Action Settlement claim program ends on September 30, 2019 (for Generation One Eligible Vehicles) and April 30, 2020 (for Generation Two Eligible Vehicles). To ensure that you have adequate time to schedule your Buyback, Trade-In, or Approved Emissions Modification, do not wait until the deadlines are fast approaching. If you know already that you want a Buyback, it makes sense to start the process as early as possible.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Kicking around the idea of buying a 2014 or 2015 Q5 TDI. Currently drive a MK7 GSW with the 2.0 and haven’t noticed much of any difference with the fix. The main thing I crave is more power from the 2.0, but am shying away from a Malone tune with the emissions warranty.

For someone who didn’t experience the Pre-fix Q5 TDI and is coming from a 2.0 GSW, do you think it’s still a good diesel? Still worth a purchase used?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Kicking around the idea of buying a 2014 or 2015 Q5 TDI. Currently drive a MK7 GSW with the 2.0 and haven’t noticed much of any difference with the fix. The main thing I crave is more power from the 2.0, but am shying away from a Malone tune with the emissions warranty.

For someone who didn’t experience the Pre-fix Q5 TDI and is coming from a 2.0 GSW, do you think it’s still a good diesel? Still worth a purchase used?

Absolutely.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
As someone who did experience the pre-fix Q5, I think it's still a good diesel. I had the fix done on mine at the end of April, and have put about 8000 miles on it since then. Mileage hasn't changed a bit. It does rev higher, especially when cold, but it warms up quickly enough that "when cold" doesn't last long at all. Haven't noticed any loss of performance.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
In May of this year I purchased an A8L 3.0 TDI without knowing that this car was part of dieselgate. I took car to dealer just after purchase to find that the prev owner had not done the fix. Dealer sent me to VW claims site to get claim # that would allow them to fix the car without cost to me. They did so. The car came back with less power, a bit of diesel clatter now heard at idle when cold mostly and mileage down along with fans that seemed to come on more frequently.

All of this was still very liveable if not a bit dissappointing. As it turns out I didn't really read the claim website closely. VW contacted me a few days later and told me my claim had been approved since I had the car fixed. What was completely unexpected was that I received 9664.00 in claim money in addition to the free fix.

As I generally modify every car I get I decided to order and install a Malone Stage 2 tune for the car. The results for a chip only mod were quite remarkable in terms of how the car drove. The Malone tune took the car way up in power, MUCH higher than pre fix performance.
Good to hear but did you do a transmission tune at the same time and replace all the exhaustion stuff? Thanks.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I have an 09 CATA that i'm keeping. Long story short, I can't see anything I want without another loan. Anyways, I'm hoping to get the fix done by the end of year, do they replace the fuel filter? I'm almost due.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Run a 2014 Q5 TDI a little bit over 11k miles after fix. CEL came up and dealer cleaned the DPF.
Also ad-blue signal came up, still 1k miles to go. So adblue consumption seemed to have gone down after emission fix.

Burnt

TDI
A7
Just filled my first DEF on my A7. Definitely higher consumption, need one in about 5500 miles of driving.

Took 1 hour and 15 minutes just to fill DEF, I'm tempted to call Audi corporate. I called the day before I went, told me I don't need an appointment and should take about 5 minutes. If I knew it would take that long, I would have used the two boxes right next to my car to fill it in 5 minutes.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
I've been driving my Q5 TDI for two years and still love it. Haven't done any of the fixes yet. Trying to put it off as long as possible. All the paperwork is filed and approved, just waiting to make the appointment.

I'm encouraged by those who noticed no difference, and apprehensive from those who have. The previous owner is getting half of the settlement, so my share is only $4,037. When IS the last day for me to get the Modification done?? I can't find it on any of my paperwork.

motuman

TDI
Q7
I have located a 2015 Q7 TDI for sale that has not had the fix performed per:

https://www.audidiesellookup.com

- Can anyone confirm the rebate amount on the '15 Q7 is approx $10,XXX?

- The vehicle is still under lease, how does that affect the rebate process?

- Does anyone know if the leasing company might require the fix prior to transfer of ownership?

Thanks!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Have your verified this by looking under the hood to see if any sticker(s) exists indicating an emission fix has been performed? Sometimes these lookup sites aren't 100% accurate.

Is it a VW dealer who is selling this vehicle?

motuman

TDI
Q7
Have your verified this by looking under the hood to see if any sticker(s) exists indicating an emission fix has been performed? Sometimes these lookup sites aren't 100% accurate.

Is it a VW dealer who is selling this vehicle?
It's a private party sale. The vehicle is a state away, so I can't easily look under the hood myself.

Since the Q7 is currently leased and not owned, would the current lessee even be eligible for the settlement?

The more I think about it, it's possible the lease company (as the title holder) would probably perform the fix and collect the rebate before they would transfer title to the new buyer?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I thought they fixed the lease loophole on the 3.0 settlement, so the most you can get as a payout is the restitution?

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
And let me add that you can't trust the lookup function. It may very well tell you that the car has the full 10K available even though it already had 1/2 payment made and it's a lease. I fell for this on my Q5 and only got 1K where the site said it was eligible for 8900 or so.

motuman

TDI
Q7
Been shopping for a Q7 TDI and surprised so many of the dealers don't know the details of the TDI warranty settlement.

Here what I read in the statement, regarding the warranty:

3.9.3 The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the
greater of:
i. 10 years or 120,000 actual miles whichever comes first; and
ii. 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of
implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for
resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale
transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith
purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale.

So buying a 2015 now, the warranty period for the covered components is 10 years from the in service date correct? (i.e. sold/service date is 1/1/2015...then the covered components are warrantied though 1/1/2025 ?)

Sorry for stupid question, but dealers have me questioning my sanity :)

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Been shopping for a Q7 TDI and surprised so many of the dealers don't know the details of the TDI warranty settlement.

Here what I read in the statement, regarding the warranty:

3.9.3 The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the
greater of:
i. 10 years or 120,000 actual miles whichever comes first; and
ii. 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of
implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for
resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale
transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith
purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale.

So buying a 2015 now, the warranty period for the covered components is 10 years from the in service correct? (i.e. sold/service date is 1/1/2015...then the covered components are warrantied though 1/1/2025 ?)

Sorry for stupid question, but dealers have me questioning my sanity :)

Yes. 1/1/25 or 120K miles is correct based on that in service date.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Tested driving a fixed Q7. Again it absolutely felt powerless and the fuel pedal is very loose. Easily floored the fuel pedal when merging into highway and the car barely moved. It's very underwhelmed. Borderline dangerous.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Tested driving a fixed Q7. Again it absolutely felt powerless and the fuel pedal is very loose. Easily floored the fuel pedal when merging into highway and the car barely moved. It's very underwhelmed. Borderline dangerous.
It’s a shame

AJB63

TDI
Q7 3.0 litre
anyone have any current comments on performance of 2013 Q7 3.0 after fix? Is it worth the $7000 cash payment?