Mk2 Gti 1z conversion thread

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Are you asking for $$$ reasons or... ? The SB Stage 2 clutches feel fantastic and will hold most builds without breaking the bank, plus they are virtually silent.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
^^^thanks!
We will see how things go
Question for those that have removed the pedal cluster...has anyone removed the white clip that holds the clutch master cylinder piston into the clutch pedal assembly itself without the Vw special tool? I've got the whole assembly ready to come out, but this little white clip is holding me back?!
Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Update:
(Although probably not worthy of an update)
Finally got the pedal cluster and brake booster and master cylinder out of the donor.
Now before I take the fuel filter out of the passat, I just want to confirm from someone in the know....

Which of the lines are going which direction flow wise?
I'm fairly certain the clear line after the filter is the supply line and the other is,the return...but what about the two lines from the fuel tank to the filter?

Thanks in advance!!

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
^^^thanks much.
That was my guess...but it's feels good to have things confirmed by someone in the know.

Head went on the other day...now I'm installing all the other ancillaries

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Motor is assembled. Now waiting for a spot on the shop floor for my mk2 to live while I perform the transplant.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Used to look all nice and now it's an empty maw...

Btw, as I'm working I'm tossing around instrument cluster ideas
The more I think about it
I"m torn between a mk3 tdi cluster that fits (mostly) with some modifying of the dash.
OR
Just running the mk2 cluster and running an led for GP led and a signal adapter for the tach (even though the range won't be right, it's better than cutting up my dash to try and fit the passat cluster (it came with the donor and I've seen the one online that looks good) not sure I'll be able to come out looking that good after cutting the dash up to fit the wider cluster....thougths or ideas welcome!

Thanks !

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Nice build did you block off the egr. Wheb not it will mess up youre intake whit soot.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Nice build did you block off the egr. Wheb not it will mess up youre intake whit soot.
Leaving the egr until after the inspection to convert the vehicle title over to diesel. Then probably follow up with a block up plate then.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Progress albeit slow is still progress.
Emptied the gas tank (for the most part) by jumping the pumps with a small battery.
Probably let the rest evaporate.

And here's the progress on the bay
About to pressure wash then start sanding.
Thinking of using white truck bed liner on the bay refresh

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Dash is out
Interior is out
sound deadening en route
Shifter is out
Bay has been degreased and pressure washed
Pedal clutser on the way out
k frame out
working on the bushings now in the control arms
tank is mostly drained...need to evaporate the last 1/8 of an inch of gas...

Tomorrow's to do list:
finish new sub frame with new bushings
finish removing pedal cluster
New cable shifter in....

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Painted the bay today...just some high temp paint
To clean things up and protect.

Also received my mk3 tdi cluster but between the shoddy packing and the fact that USPS could give a sh!t about what it ships (found the box open and smashed on my porch yesterday) I received this surprise.

The pieces of the cluster bezel are broken and inside the cluster along with the small round tab that is supposed to lock into the hooks inside the dash.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Update
Got the subframe up and in
Got the pedal cluster in (mostly). Still have to tighten things up
Second coat on the bay is done
And got most of the floor deadened...

Gonna try and get the Passat harness in next week
And then things start moving real fast.
I do have a question for anyone following/reading...
Does the 1z require a fuel evap system (it was a canister with a line running back to the tank) I'm guessing not, but just wanted to be sure. Any swappers please chime in with what you guys did with that 3rd line running back.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
So things are moving forward. Got most of the harness labeled
But trying to figure out which of the plugs go where in the fuse box, I got
A bit flustered! Anyone have advice for this step??
Is a2 resource my best friend here? Thanks in advance for your help!

I have close ups,of these plugs if it would help!!

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Here's where I stopped tonight:
B4 passat wiring in (for the most part). I've got g1 & g2 & f and z1
Not sure about where z2 (battery ground) comes from
It's also not clear which plug is for the clutch sensor

Firewall pad is in
Washer and pump
Brake booster and slave cylinder in too

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So things are moving forward. Got most of the harness labeled
But trying to figure out which of the plugs go where in the fuse box, I got
A bit flustered! Anyone have advice for this step??
Is a2 resource my best friend here? Thanks in advance for your help!

I have close ups,of these plugs if it would help!!
The plugs you're referring to don't actually go to the fuse box, that is except for the GP wiring connection. If you have the early GP wiring the big connector goes to Z1, otherwise the big connector goes to Y3. Since it looks like you have the later GP setup (relay pictured far right?) I'd say that big red/white wire goes to Y3.

The ovoid connector on the left in your picture, the black one above the blue one, goes to the accelerator potentiometer.

I can tell you where they go but the picture is too small and sort of fuzzy for me to make out wire colors.

Some of them go to other harnesses (harni?) like the ABS harness. The little pile above the GP relay looks like it has some of those in it. The ABS harness (W in A2resource). Also, harness D has a lot of shared connections that join to some of these at the colored junction boxes. D connector is for misc equipment. H1, H2 and J (steering column) all come in to play as well along with D and W, U1 and U2 (instrument cluster) also gets a couple connections as well.

I can tell you where they come from / go to if you can post close ups of the connector that show wire color. Mine might be slightly different since my wiring mess is out of a Mk3 AHU.

You can also work with the Bentley (1z B4) if you want.

Your F, G1 and G2 obviously do go to the fuse box but they only go in one way so you can't make a mistake with those...

Steve

Last edited:

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
The plugs you're referring to don't actually go to the fuse box, that is except for the GP wiring connection. If you have the early GP wiring the big connector goes to Z1, otherwise the big connector goes to Y3. Since it looks like you have the later GP setup (relay pictured far right?) I'd say that big red/white wire goes to Y3.

The ovoid connector on the left in your picture, the black one above the blue one, goes to the accelerator potentiometer.

I can tell you where they go but the picture is too small and sort of fuzzy for me to make out wire colors.

Some of them go to other harnesses (harni?) like the ABS harness. The little pile above the GP relay looks like it has some of those in it. The ABS harness (W in A2resource). Also, harness D has a lot of shared connections that join to some of these at the colored junction boxes. D connector is for misc equipment. H1, H2 and J (steering column) all come in to play as well along with D and W, U1 and U2 (instrument cluster) also gets a couple connections as well.

I can tell you where they come from / go to if you can post close ups of the connector that show wire color. Mine might be slightly different since my wiring mess is out of a Mk3 AHU.

You can also work with the Bentley (1z B4) if you want.

Your F, G1 and G2 obviously do go to the fuse box but they only go in one way so you can't make a mistake with those...

Steve
Thanks Steve
Really helpful!!
Got the ovoid one and the GP hooked up
Here's a closeup. The small cluster of small different colored plugs on the right is the confusing part. (Although I'm leaving the mk2 brakes so no abs)

Here's another pic

And one more

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
A couple more:

Black connector, 4 wire to the right of the GP maxi fuse in pic 3, goes to corresponding connection in the H1, H2 & J bundle (steering column) and is for cruise control.

The two wire black connector to the left of that one I cant find in my notes, but the red black wire goes to the starter and I have a tag on that connector that says "need to jumper these two" so it might be for neutral safety switch. I'll see if I can find more.

In photo 1, the little pile of connectors, the single pin type in blue? If the wire is blue with white stripe it's likely the VSS and needs to connect to a blue junction box where another single connector blue/white wire from harness W/1 is connected.

In photo 2 near the potentiometer connector the blue two pin connector and black two pin connector, if the brown wire is a shared connection (test continuity between the two) I'm going to say that the white wire in blue connector goes to ECU pin 20 and white/red in black connector goes to ECU pin 17? If so blue goes to brake vacuum switch for cruise and black goes to clutch vacuum switch (aka cruise function).

I can't see a lot better in these pics, they're not close enough to show me wire colors and some connectors are piled on top of each other.

Hope this helps

PS - it would be good to know where all this stuff goes in the event you have to do trouble shooting...

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
PS - even cars without ABS get a W harness (ABS). I used that harness name as a reference since some will know which one I was referring to, for now we'll just call it W harness and you will still need it. AFAIK very few if any Mk3 tdi cars got ABS but all B4/Mk3 TDI cars get a W harness regardless.

The D harness will be critical for patching the wires into the system since almost all of the connections at D are shared via junction blocks or singles.

At least one single connector goes to the cluster for CEL. One connector from the engine harness will connect to the junction block for the diagnostic port.

Many of these single connectors will trigger other wiring connections as you patch the system together.

Steve

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Thanks again Steve
I wonder if the same idea applies to cruise control
I feel like I read somewhere that these connections were necessary
To influence fuel cut when braking etc....

Anyways I'll keep reading the Bentley and other sources as I move forward
Your help has been awesome!
I wouldn't be opposed to sending you some reward via paypal if you thought it was appropriate?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Well I'm not opposed to receiving something but I didn't do it expecting anything so it's your call.

One other wire I might know, the brown connector in the little pile, if the wire is grey with white stripe it most likely goes to the ECU pin 61. It will need to be connected in some manner to the grey / white wire running to the diagnostic connector (OBD port).

Also, the green connector in that same pile, the one with the single release tab? If that wire is black it goes to a junction box where a black / red wire from connector D/11 joins.

The green connector in the same pile with the double release tabs? If the wire is black with red stripe it connects to another green receptacle with a black / red wire that connects to the W harness.

Also, if you run across any violet or lilac colored wires just ignore them, those were colors used for AT cars I think.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Also, I might have a spreadsheet noting all the wires and where they go...but maybe I only wrote it down.

I know I did do a comparison of the wiring for the B4 68 pin connector vs Mk3 68 pin since there are some differences.

Steve

EDIT: I found the spreadsheet, PM me if you would like a copy.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I kind of forgot that I had a B4 tdi wiring harness laying here that I could look at. Anyway, if these are consistent with yours use it as a guide. Wire colors (in German) and destinations noted (if known). The br/bl I'm unsure about, the only br/bl on the Mk3 harness is bundled with the cruise connections for brake / clutch pedal. You might have to trace this one.

Last edited:

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Update for today worked a bit more on different things:

Tied up the brake lines to the Passat master cylinder

Connected the fuel lines where the 60mm external FP once lived

Mated the mk2 rad support bar to the b4 passage front crossmember and bolted it in (almost ready to receive the motor)

Then continued to work on the wiring harness BIG THANKS TO STEVE ADDY FOR
ALL THE SUPPORT AND CLARITY
The less than obvious connections are taking a bit of time.
Here is today's hiccup...
I noticed that the blue brake switch (I'm guessing it's a cruise or light switch) that sits above another black switch in the pedal cluster that was broken
Having a difficult time finding this part #....at any rate I know it shows continuity when the plunger is depressed and resistance when the plunger is extended...
Here's a pic:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
BTW Brock, you should be able to run a CE2 diesel cluster and have it work correctly. You might have to do some custom wiring to the cluster harness but I believe I've read that it works.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
BTW Brock, you should be able to run a CE2 diesel cluster and have it work correctly. You might have to do some custom wiring to the cluster harness but I believe I've read that it works.
thanks again Steve
My plan is to use a mk3 tdi cluster and harness...waiting for the harness to arrive
although I had one purchased on eBay, (tracking said it arrived at my house)
but I never received it...so I had to find another one on vw vortex

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
So got the new CC switch in
Tried to fit the hood insulation onto the Gti hood.
But it's wider and may require some cutting and other fasteners.

Cut out most of the plastic I'm the fuel filler neck, and after a snip or two,
The fuel filler door fell down towards the tank.
I was able to snag these parts...

.anybody know if there's more than this to the mechanism?

The plan is to get the motor in next week...gotta sort out a few more details and then it's going to go fast.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sounds like you need the Mk2 diesel underhood insulation blanket and mounting brackets.

Steve