Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

Magellan01

Veteran Member
Reading through the past posts how do I know if I need to get the Mk20 or Mk60 units (01 Jetta)? I am assuming that I want the Mk20 unit since they were not affected by the recall (is that correct).

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
No that is a bad assumption. Look at the pump. If the round part of it is pointing horizontal, it's a Mk. 60. If vertical it's a Mk.20. If VAG-COM available, it can tell you.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Look at the unit the lines coming into it are on the side fi it is the mk20. you can,t use the later mk60 it,s a 47pin connector mk 20 is a 25 pin. I found mine in a wreaking yard with switch for 285. all hole were sealed with plugs and it works great. Theres a picture of the mk60 on one of the first few pages of this thread.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Anybody got a source for a used Mark 20? I have a Y2K Jetta, so I believe that's the one I need (will check later). I haven't had any luck around her trying to track one down (must be a popular item!!!).

-Rich

Magellan01

Veteran Member
I bailed out with the guy I was talking to on Vortex because of lack of funds. I posted a link to the vwvortex page over in the classified section if you are interested.

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
ASR not worth the effort to retrofit also tied into engine ecu ,engine power cut when slippage occurs, not seen on tdi's my 2cents worth.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK for my 2cents worth IT's totally worth it and i also have the LSD on the car. WHen going into a wet turn both wheels try to drive and the car can slid (wrong angle turn near me) and asr stops one while letting the other pull me around the corner. IF i had to do it over i would not have the LSD only the asr.

NothernSky

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, Model 2001, red
Ok guys, let me see if I get it.
You need to have an automatic TDI for this great mod? The automatic comes with EDL, right?

I´m still confused about the Hydro and the "computer", are those the same part numbers?

My car is 2001 Jetta TDI. Do I need MK20 or MK60?

Is everything is OK as I think (plug and play), I will go for it. No special modifications on the brake lines right?

SORRY for my ignorance on this one, but Mexican VW enthusiast want this mod done and it seems I´m the only guy to translate

Have someone made a PDF File on this GREAT MOD?
Thanks in advance
Gus.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Originally posted by MarkIV:
1) 1C0 907 379 C/J ABS
2) 1C0 907 379 D/K ABS/EDL/ASR
3) 1C0 907 379 E/G ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP
4) 1C0 907 379 F/H ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP 4MOTION
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just trying to catch up here... so assuming I have a Mk 60 controller (01 golf built 03/01), part number 2 above is all that I need (plus a few wires and a switch)?

If I have a mk 20, how does that change the situtation?

Does my old ABS unit come off, or is this an add-on?

Thanks for any help...

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You pull off the whole unit -hydro + computer and replace it. Part # Part # 1J0907379R is the part # for the ABS/ASR for the MK20s at least it's the one i put on mine. The Number is on the Black computer part of the unit.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
This mod is probably one of the best ones you can do. I didn't value it at first, but now that I have it I can't believe it doesn't come standard.

All you have to do is remove the old unit and the brake lines attached, disconnect a harness and reinstall the new one.

Bleed the brakes, clutch and you're done.

How hard is that?

If you want to, you can wire the switch later as it will work without the kill switch. Switch is even easier.

Lito

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And we did Lito,s out on the street in Baltimore. It is that simple. BUT IF you need to to bleed the whole system including the Hydro, unit you will need a Vag-Com. and a power bleeder helps alot. (Edit) since Lito,s up north this week and it's going to snow he will really find out how good it is.

[ December 25, 2002, 05:38: Message edited by: Birdman ]

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Originally posted by Birdman:
BUT IF you need to to bleed the whole system including the Hydro, unit you will need a Vag-Com.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Need a VagCom for what?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Vag-com turns the hydro unit on and off pulling brake fluid into itself. This is absolutely essential when performing this upgrade.

L

Tba

Ok, i am a bit new here, and i have read the entire thread twice, but still havent seen a definate answer. Has anyone got a kill switch working? and if so how?

i would really liek to do this upgrade, as i am going to be taking a trip through the rockies and snow is garanteed! but i will need a kill switch as a few hills require low speed climbs!

[ January 01, 2003, 04:33: Message edited by: Tba ]

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was hopeing that Lito would post an updated wiring diagram. You run the switch which is a T6 you use 4 of the connectors. T-1 goes to a dimmer light and T-2 goes to ground T-5 goes to T-15 on the ABS/ARS unit ( it's in the middle of the wires and just Hook to the wire already there. LOOK at you old unit and you will see the numbers on the bottom of the connector (EDIT) (the wire T-15 Is a gray with Black stripe). and T-6 goes to a switched hot source. You only use the switch IF you want to turn off the ASR> WHen you turn it of the ASR light will come on the dash. You said you wanted to turn it off going up the bigger hills i find leaving it on is the best for slow speed up hill use.

[ January 04, 2003, 19:09: Message edited by: Birdman ]

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 99.5 Golf (Blue), Ex 96 Passats (Blue & Grey), Ex 97 Passat(Green)
Lito, Birdman:

PeterV and I finally picked up our units
Too bad we could not install them before this snow storm

We drove through this snow to pick them up at a couple of boneyards.

Lito:

Can you find switches when you visit a yard down there? Our yards do not let us "shop" for ourselves.

Can't wait until it is installed.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad you guys found the units. you do want to make sure that BOTH the hydro unit then the rest of the brake system is blead according to the the Bentley CD in that order. You have to look a little for the Hydro bleeding instruction and a need a VAg-com ( i know PeterV has one. Good luck guys you will love it once you get it installed.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DB,

I guess you never did hear from VW Parts, Inc? Me either.

I'll keep my eyes open, it's real hit and miss.

You guys can install the units without the switch and install the switch later.

Lito

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yea VW Parts can be a real pain at times. I have been Buying fron them for years and they know me and i still have problems. Their biggest proplem is lack of help in the order taking Dept. from what Tom has told me. It,s to bad because there prices are generally pretty good. EDIT It snowed today here in western MD only 3-4 in. but it is the 3rd time i have been able to really play with the ASR, turning it on and off on hills and flats YOU can really tell the differance. What i really like is you don't feel it in the steering wheel No pulling to the left or right just the light blinking on the dash. This was a powder snow fairly slippery and it was fun putting the ASR through it,s paces. Well worth the time and money.

[ January 05, 2003, 18:09: Message edited by: Birdman ]

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I went to www.car-part.com and did a parts search using 2002 VW Jetta and then anti-lock Brake pump and found a fairly local yard
they brought the pump out to me. I had my bentley and The print out of this thread with me to match up part numbers.
the number on the pump is 1J0 614 417D then turn the unit over and the number on the Hyro-unit is 1C0 907 379 D and says ASR right on it.
they charged me 250.00 and included a switch with the plug attached and 2 inches of wire and the big plug with some wire left on the unit itself.
When you call the yard ask them to read the number to you.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Thanks for the heads up Tom...
I picked up the Mk60 today, one concern.
My numbers don't match.
My ABS controller is 1J0 614 417 C
The hydro unit is: 1C0 907 379 D

On the forum above you posted: 1J0 614 417D as the ABS controller part number. Is there a difference between C and D?
ETKA shows is 1J0 614 417 C for all Jetta sedans (00-03) and C for Jetta Wagons within a specific VIN range (00-02), and is 1J0 614 417 D for the other. It also specifies 1C0 907 379 D only for 03s.

Looks like they updated the abs controller mid year 02 for Jetta wagons . Any idea why?
My thought is since the wagon is heavier, they tweaked the programming in the controller.
The end result for you in a standard sedan is your abs may be slightly more or less sensitive than ours.
Thoughts

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver/Black, 2006 New Beetle Pkg#2 DSG Red/Black
This is what Bentley CD says:

1) 1C0 907 379 C/J ABS
2) 1C0 907 379 D/K ABS/EDL/ASR
3) 1C0 907 379 E/G ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP
4) 1C0 907 379 F/H ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP 4MOTION

If the "1J0" numbering series follows in line with the given "1C0" series, is it possible you might have an ABS-only component? I haven't been able to yet research out components needed for my own upgrade - '01 Golf GLS TDI 5sp...too many fires.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
I think you both may be screwed..... I believe that both of those units fall under the recall.... I'm not positive though.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
That was my next question...
Recalled?

Edit:
Nope... ABS/ASR units not affected according to JSG. Only the 1C0 907 379 C is affected... We have the "D" version.

Alrighty.

All ABS control units were not created equally. One in particular, from one specific supplier, is apparently not too safe. We were seeing these go bad before they came out with the recall; they were the only ones we were having any kind of problems at all with.

So when you do this check, you are going to be looking for ONE part number from ONE supplier.

This is for 2001 and 2002's only, Golf/Jetta/New Beetles. It is not TOO likely that any Jetta wagon will have this recall apply to it, but it should still be checked.

If you have a Vag-Com, the easiest thing to do first is hook up to the car, get into the brake electronics diagnostics (group 3), and look at the part number for the ABS control unit.

If the part number is 1C0 907 379C, then you MAY have a bad unit. If it is ANYTHING else, yours is good and you are finished checking. If it is the 1C0 907 379C number, you must now check the supplier code.

If you have the part number listed above and must now check the supplier code, or do not have a Vag-Com type device, the next thing you will have to do is pull the oval-shaped rubber plug for the ABS sensor wire from the fender liner of the DRIVER'S FRONT wheel.

***BE CAREFUL doing this. There is NOT a foot of extra wire on the other side of that plug, meaning that you can NOT just jerk it out of there with the wire following it out. There is only about an inch of extra wire on the inside; the best thing you can do is jimmy the plug out of the hole with a broad, blunt tool. I personally use a huge pair of bent-nose needle nose, but for some reason I am aparently the oddball in my shop for this and so you don't necessarily have to do it this way. The plug itself is a part of the ABS wire and therefore the wire will move with the plug-the wire does NOT slide around through a hole in the plug like you might think.

You have been duely warned. If you jab a hole in your ABS sensor wire, don't expect VW to buy you a new one.

Once you get the plug out, grab your flashlight and look through the hole. You will be looking at the backside of the ABS control unit, which is bolted to the ABS pump and fluid distribution block under the hood. There will be some numbers, and they will be upside down.

You are looking for 0321.3 (upside down, of course). If you used your Vag-Com, got the part number I listed above, AND 0321.3, your control unit will be replaced by VW. If it is not 0321.3, yours is fine.

Folks without a Vag-Com should just look for the 0321.3 supplier code. Even though they won't know their ABS control unit part number, they will at least know that it is VERY likely that the part number is the bad one (assuming they got the 0321.3 supplier code) and should definately take the car in.

Once VW verifies what you just did, they will replace the ABS control unit. One secondary benefit of this is you get about 3/4 of a brake flush for free.

There you go.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tomo, I'd be interested in trading pumps, to see what the difference is. I'll take your wagon pump if you want this one (abs controller ending in C).
You coming down to Quantico this weekend?

[ January 13, 2003, 19:02: Message edited by: Kennedy ]