Anything advantageous to swap to a BEW from other VW/Audi cars

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I have learned that at least some 1.8T intercoolers are the same as a MKIV TDI. Are there any factory parts on the 1.8T cars that would be a fairly easy upgrade regarding the turbos, down pipes, intercoolers, etc.? I seem to see these cars fairly often in the boneyard now and hoping for some easy upgrades.

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Almost all the 1.8t A4 platform cars have the one step up front brakes. I have that upgrade on one of my Golfs. If it is cheap and easy to get the parts, I suppose it is worth while. You'll need the front calipers, dust shields, carriers, and brackets (the larger brakes have a two piece caliper assembly). I think the brake hose is the same.

oilhammer

TDI
There is no "spindle" on a FWD car like these. The carrier (which is short for "wheel bearing housing with carrier") is the large cast part the wheel bearing presses into. But the hub inside is the same, and the standard issue 1.8t and VR6 front outer CV joint is the same, hence it being an easy upgrade... you needn't even take the axle out of the car, just pull the whole assembly loose from the control arm and strut and swap it over.

The inner CV joints can be different, depending on model/year, but in order to make use of any of the larger ones you'd also need the flanges from the transmission, and I really doubt that is much of an upgrade anyway, as a lot of the later AWP cars use the stupid plunge style tripod inners which seem to not hold up as well nor are as easily serviced as the Rzeppa style joints.

The transmission itself, the 5sp, is geared far too low to be of any use with a TDI... and even the later 6sp units the GTIs, NB Turbo S, GLIs, etc. got would still not be geared appropriately nor worth the hassle.

OP, keep in mind that the 1.8t engine was an option on GLS Golfs and Jettas, but the GTI/GLI with the same engine may have some different goodies like slightly sportier springs, sway bars, etc. Just depends on the car.

I have front brakes from a 2000 GTI VR6 on my Golf, springs all around from a 1.8t GTI (AWP engine). But a GLS Golf, even with a 1.8t engine, would have used the same springs as my TDI GLS Golf used.

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
The inner CV joints can be different, depending on model/year, but in order to make use of any of the larger ones you'd also need the flanges from the transmission, and I really doubt that is much of an upgrade anyway, as a lot of the later AWP cars use the stupid plunge style tripod inners which seem to not hold up as well nor are as easily serviced as the Rzeppa style joints.
I know what you mean. I was debating on grabbing the axles off the TT, but broke one at the inner CV joint just getting the suspension off.

oilhammer

TDI
The TT is a specific different albeit similar setup. It has its own type of front end bits, different struts, sway bar and links, control arms, etc.

You can actually transfer all the TT stuff over to one of the Volkswagens if you want, not actually sure one way or the other what differences it makes other than I think it keeps the geometry better for a lower stance.

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Lower intercooler pancake aluminum pipe.

Bajan
Thanks Bajan. That's the kind of info I was looking for here...mainly intake/turbo/exhaust interchange and upgrades.

I appreciate everybody's input on the suspension but I already have a 2003 TT suspension that I am swapping in and I have another thread on that onthe non-TDI upgrade section of this forum.

Thanks.

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
The TT is a specific different albeit similar setup. It has its own type of front end bits, different struts, sway bar and links, control arms, etc.
You can actually transfer all the TT stuff over to one of the Volkswagens if you want, not actually sure one way or the other what differences it makes other than I think it keeps the geometry better for a lower stance.
Generally the same as an R32 setup. More heavy duty with better geometry and more adjustment. Not sure what it will do to the ride height. I found it in the U-Pull & Pay yard on half price day...considering that, I had to get it. :D

Thorshammer

TDI
2004 TDI Wagon
Intercooler pipe

I am new (to this forum), to this platform, and was hoping I could understand the lower aluminum pipe benefit. Is it flow, cooling etc...

Thank you,

Thor