do both owners have to be there for turn in?

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I'm down in Mississippi, the VW is in Alexandria, Va.
It's due for turn in Dec 17th in Alexandria, all paperwork done.
My MIL just took a fall, HOPEFULLY not too bad.
Both my wife and I are on the title.
Do we both HAVE to be there for turn in?

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
No I’m sure it’s has or in the registration Meaning either one can do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Since she's on the title, they will require her to be there to sign documents.
However, she can grant you POA with a simple notarized form and won't have to attend the buyback.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It also might depend on how the title is written. Does the title say the owner is "name1" and "name2" or does it say "name1" or "name2".

If it says "and" you will probably need both signatures, either in person or on a notarized "Power of Attorney" form.
If it says "or", you would only need either signature but not both.

I went through this a while ago when I had to sell my late wife's car. Luckily the title said hername OR myname.

Have Fun!

Don

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Since she's on the title, they will require her to be there to sign documents.
However, she can grant you POA with a simple notarized form and won't have to attend the buyback.

This is the correct answer. Or/and does not make a difference.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This is the correct answer. Or/and does not make a difference.

I'm no lawyer, but it certainly made a difference in the case I mentioned above. Only one signature (mine) was required to transfer title to someone else. However, having a notarized limited PoA with you would certainly not be a bad idea. It would eliminate any doubts.

Have Fun!

Don

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm no lawyer, but it certainly made a difference in the case I mentioned above. Only one signature (mine) was required to transfer title to someone else. However, having a notarized limited PoA with you would certainly not be a bad idea. It would eliminate any doubts.

Have Fun!

Don

OP asked about the VW dieselgate settlement. Spouse is not deceased (sorry about your loss, by the way). akjdouglass gave the correct answer. Both owners must be present, or one holding the POA for the other. Or/And on the title makes no difference.

Last edited:

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
The Power of Attorney form they want is found on the portal.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
They required both my wife and I to be present and sign since we were both on the title. I also read about the POA but did not pursue it. Why not call the help line, ask the question and they will tell you exactly what is required and what option(s) you may have -- I found them to be very helpful. While other peoples' experiences may be useful, what we think does not matter.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
They required both my wife and I to be present and sign since we were both on the title. I also read about the POA but did not pursue it. Why not call the help line, ask the question and they will tell you exactly what is required and what option(s) you may have -- I found them to be very helpful. While other peoples' experiences may be useful, what we think does not matter.

Are you calling “fake news” on my facts? Geez.
Go look it up on the claims portal.

OK, for the last time, repeating what ajkdouglass said. If two names are on the title — doesn’t matter if it says OR of AND — both have to come in person, or one can come with the POA for the other. Them’s the rules for this particular business.

And folks, what you almost did, or what you did on an unrelated matter, is irrelevant. Four times the answer has been stated. You want to speculate otherwise, knock yourself out. I’m finished trying to help, lol.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The Power of Attorney form they want is found on the portal.
I thought that POA was for the owner surrendering the title to VWOA. IIRC, we had to both sign it with notary and turn it in with all the other paperwork.

I could be wrong though. I mean it's been over a year for one and about 9 months for the other.

Last edited:

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
You could be right I was going on memory also.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Are you calling “fake news” on my facts? Geez.
Go look it up on the claims portal.
OK, for the last time, repeating what ajkdouglass said. If two names are on the title — doesn’t matter if it says OR of AND — both have to come in person, or one can come with the POA for the other. Them’s the rules for this particular business.
And folks, what you almost did, or what you did on an unrelated matter, is irrelevant. Four times the answer has been stated. You want to speculate otherwise, knock yourself out. I’m finished trying to help, lol.
Not at all and I happen to agree with your facts here. I don't believe I directed my comment toward any individual, I just pointed out that there is an official resource readily available that can address questions; one does not have to rely on other peoples' "facts", no matter how well intentioned, correct or incorrect.

To the OP, good luck with you decision and process. Sorry to hear of the circumstances leading to your question.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I thought that POA was for the owner surrendering the title to VWOA.
There are two POA forms, one from the owner(s) to VW to allow them to sign title paperwork, and one from the owner(s) to someone else to allow the "someone else" to do the buyback. The latter would be used here.

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
There are two POA forms, one from the owner(s) to VW to allow them to sign title paperwork, and one from the owner(s) to someone else to allow the "someone else" to do the buyback. The latter would be used here.

I DID THIS VERY THING newbury.

I divorced, both of us were on the title. There is a power of attorney (POA) form on the portal that the other owner needs to complete and have notorized. Go to the portal, follow the instructions, it is all spelled out. When I did the turn in the sales guy that was handling the turn-in (via the representative on the tablet) questioned it at first, as he had done a lot of these but had not experienced a POA for a second owner. The buyback went without a hitch, the representative did not even require the photocopy of my ex's drivers license like the instructions said I needed.