Check Engine Light

NevadaVandal

TDI
2001 Golf 4 cylc TDI
on 2001 Golf TDI.
Not the glow plugs or oil or whatever else!!
Trunk line carrying the wires shorting causing this code?
Anyone else??

Thnks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
please explain more clearly. What code? CEL (Check Engine Light) is just an indication and you need to go to autozone or wherever and borrow the reader for free and report back with the code. we have no context for what you need, want or should do.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There are literally thousands of things this could be. Literally. :) :)

The good news is that the car has some clues stored in memory and is trying to tell you.

Your *very* best bet is to buy/borrow a scanner, or head to Autozone... and get the code(s) read.

Once you know the code(s) you can then google them, post back here, etc. ANYTHING else is just a interweb guess.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My car has a problem, what is it? That's all the info we should need for diagnosis, right?
I'll answer that question. The problem is something mechanical, something electrical or operator error.............
What's a trunk line? Where they manufacture trunks maybe?
>
>
>
>
>
>
Actually What Vince said. Have someone scan for codes, WRITE THEM DOWN and report back here.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is somewhat amazing that, in 2018, a car's OBD is such a puzzle to some folks. :p

OP: the MIL is just an indicator telling you that the car needs to be hooked to some type of diagnostic interface device to relay the reason as to why the MIL is on. Nothing more. We have no idea what is wrong with your car, other than to say something is wrong with the engine management system.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
"Check Engine" means just that, check engine components (not rear hatch wiring). The car's ECU (computer) is desperately looking to connect up to something that it can tell it's story to. Unless you have that done (really should be a VW specific code reader [VCDS- there's a forum thread, a "sticky," that contains postings of people who have VCDS, someone might be near you and offer to read) your car is going to feel neglected and just might stop right in the middle of traffic somewhere and start pouting!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Where in Nevada are you? I am in Las Vegas and I can scan your car. I'm not a mechanic, so I won't fix your car for you, but at least I can tell you what your car thinks is wrong.

Have Fun!

Don

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OP, probably just went to autozone and got some cheep parts bs on their sale BS and we will never hear from him again!

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Original poster has been here 8 years. It's been 4 days. First day was Sunday afternoon. Some people, not me, work Monday thru Friday .

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Does not have to be a VCDS scan. For emission related DTC's, which a lit CEL shows, a generic scan can be sometimes be wrong in what it reports but will usually provide a place to start troubleshooting and is better than not doing any kind of scan.

DISCLAIMER: If you do get a scan from one of the local parts places, follow the troubleshooting steps for the DTC's reported and (very important) DO NOT buy their Chinese garbage parts.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Original poster has been here 8 years. It's been 4 days. First day was Sunday afternoon. Some people, not me, work Monday thru Friday .
HEH, i joined when i got my TDI, i had 2 years of no activity, you never know!