Lift pump doesn’t fit in my ALH

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey folks -

So I have an odd one: transferred the float and arm onto the new lift pump but now it won’t fit into the tank.

The original body (with no pump innards) is about half the size so that’s why it fit easily.

Anybody encounter this?

Also the electrical plug, even after removing the purple locking tab, using my release tool, can't get the wires to release. Very odd.

Finally, ID Parts' instructions shows a relay block above the master cylinder that doesn't exist on my car, and adding a relay underneath the dash isn't an obvious or easy process from my eye. Am I missing somethjng?

Any suggestions much appreciated. I’ll call ID Parts tomorrow. I bough the kit a long time ago so maybe that's part of the problem.

Thanks,

Jud

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Your 2001 Jetta did not come with a lift pump originally... the assembly in the fuel tank is a sender only.

Are you trying to add a lift pump, or replace one that a previous owner installed?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Yes I know that. Using a kit from IDParts, I am attempting a retrofit for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Wiring is never easy! I've spent enough time under the dash to know that; but, there are far harder things to deal with than this.

Likely plenty of write-ups around on retrofitting a fuel pump. And if something is not clear in the instructions then just contact ID Parts (that's why we buy parts from our supporting vendors- because they excel at customer service).

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well folks we have a mystery. Here's a pic of the pump I had in my installation kit:

This is what I meant by having to transfer the float: it has an external printed board like the original stock ALH one to send info to the gas gauge.

So, obviously the body is larger than that which I just ordered from ID Parts - the standard BEW one. This is why it won't fit.

Strange, eh?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Part numbers? (I've never messed with anything in the tank, so I have no reference, which is why I'd only rely on a known workable part via part number.)

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Finally dug up the part number:

88 457 310

Doing some searches but can't find it yet. Weird.

Edit: Found it. It's a lift pump for a damn Passat!
I bought that kit back in November of 2012 from a member here, then a divorce, bankruptcy, and a move out west intervened.

Update: I will be buying the relay box in the engine compartment, complete with relays, relay panel, and wiring. With the factory release tools, I can re-use the wiring. I've had a foglight relay tucked away in the engine bay that would be better placed in this relay box, so I think it's overall a neat, OEM way of doing things, instead of running yet more wires through the firewall.

Last edited: