'06 TDI Aux Heater Removal?

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
Trying to take out the auxillary heater in my '06 to see if I can fix it myself or if I have to buy a new one. I was able to locate where it lives, but I can't seem to remove the drivers side panel covering the whole thing. Is there a guide to removing it?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
been a while since I took mine out but I didn't remember it being that hard. Panel pulls out easily enough.

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
Took out the panel underneath the steering wheel and took out the screw next to the pedal, but there seems to be something holding it tightly right below there. Is there some sort of clip or something else I'm missing?

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just accessed mine a couple weeks ago. I had to slide the panel back and flex it out in the middle. There are plastic interlocks on the backside that hold it in place. If you break one, like I did, its not a big deal the screw still holds it in place.

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I'll give it a shot today and see if it's just being 12 year old car tough.

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
Holy crap, never again. This is such a PITA that I'm actually willing to pay my mechanic to do this for me. Got the panel off, had to pull back towards the seat after yanking hard on the upper piece. (Don't worry about pulling too hard) Getting these the screws and nuts off after that was the worst part just due to the angle. Almost got it out but I ran out of time.

EDIT: So others have it available, I found a couple pictures that helped me see how the panels went together.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...5-BODY-Removing_Your_Front_Center_Console.htm

sinneD

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Reflex Silver
How exactly is this supposed to come out?

I have removed the lower dash panels and fixing screws, cables and control wire.

I tried sliding it out towards the pedals but it gets hung up on something.

There is a white plastic actuator arm in that area too. Anyone know what its for? a blend door perhaps?