Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Get one from a TDI, the gear ratios are better suited for the TDI. If you get one from a gas engine, the RPMs will be much too high on the highway (like 3500 RPM) likely dropping your mileage to what the automatic had on the highway.

Water4fire

TDI
02 Jetta TDi
What about a Automatic from a gas?
Sorry to ask, but going to auction to get the parts car and only gas VW's are there.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The automatic will be the same problem, Mine had a gasser automatic, and it's top speed was about 90 MPH @ 4,600 RPM... at 75 MPH the tach was stuck about 3700RPM when it should be closer to 2500 RPM

alphaseinor

TDI
You should look on car-part.com

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Final Wiring Diagram?

alphaseinor said:
You should be able to match up a connector for the transmission range switch so you can have an easier swap... I think the IP connector is similar, but I haven't tried it... Don't forget to unplug your TCM in the plenum
Why not just use the old TR connector (cut) from the auto harness?

Where did these schematics come from? It would be nice to know if they also apply to 2002 and 2003, so no surprises come up.

After reading, looking... I figured out what you mean and made some notes:

Before "Auto to Manual Swap":

Ignore this:

Remove and cut:

Finish:

Does that look right?

Last edited:

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Clutch Switch

I forgot to mention the steps:

alphaseinor Wiring for auto to manual swap (know to be good for 99.5 Golf TDI)

1. Connect the 12v (green/black) from the TR switch to the reverse light switch (on tranny)

2. Connect the other wire on the reverse light switch to the blue/yellow wire on the TR Switch

3. Connect the two wires: red/yellow to grey/red

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only thing needed to get the clutch switch in here is to splice the clutch switch in series into the ignition switch wire.

I like having the clutch switch for safety.

alphaseinor

TDI
The clutch switch when it is "in" (no foot on pedal) is closed, when it is out it is open.

So you would need some sort of relay/transistor to flip the order of the pedal... I didn't use my clutch switch because of this limitation.

The TR connector connects directly to the TR switch, I was just thinking you could make a connector that extends the harness and leaves the other wires "floating".

No clue if this will work for a 2002 or 2003...

alphaseinor

TDI
essentially you will need to connect red/yellow to grey/red to simulate neutral or park... unfortunately if you connect it to the clutch pedal streight out, you will have the starter work with your foot off the pedal, and if you put your foot down it won't.

alphaseinor

TDI
overall for my car that would be correct... Your mileage may vary, so bring a continuity checker...

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
2002 Golf TDI Auto Checks Out! Almost?

alphaseinor,

Did you ever do the VAG-COM adaptation?

I checked out my 2002 Golf TDI Auto for some things:

[yes] 3 studs for clutch pedal mount

[yes] master cylinder nipple ready to cut

[no] narrow brake pedal
My brake pedal has one more diamond in width (5 total), about 1/2" I guess. I don't think it will be a problem. The pedals appear seperated enough in your pic:
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

alphaseinor

TDI
The coding is here....

http://en.openobd.org/vw/golf_1j.htm

I didn't do this since I got mine chipped, and jeff already set it... but it should go something like this... engine, coding (not sure about login???), the it should be set to manual 04000,

If anyone has more to add, since I'm still working on my harness issues, please post if this is the correct procedure on recoding...

alphaseinor

TDI
Woops... wrong engine.... Mine's an ALH... I'll get this sorted out soon enough...

alphaseinor

TDI
nope, I was having problems with the harness that is on the little connector on the ECU that feeds the IP junk... there are some bad ground wires that are black from corrosion... so I just ordered a new one instead of rerunning all of those wires (there has to be about 20-30 wires there...

Outside of that... the swap went extremely well, and It's much more fun to drive

Last edited:

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Weird behavior with Cruise Control?

alphaseinor:

Have you noticed any Weird behavior with Cruise Control?

My guess is the CC watches for the clutch signal that you don't have.

My concern here is overreving. If the the CC can't react fast enough to back when you punch the clutch to downshift on a hill.

You probably don't get in this situation much in Plano, TX.

alphaseinor

TDI
GdB said:
Have you noticed any Weird behavior with Cruise Control?
nope... actually it actually works now where it didn't before, partially because it wasn't coded from the factory in the replaced ECU. I re-did that with the VAG-COM.

GdB said:
My concern here is overreving. If the the CC can't react fast enough to back when you punch the clutch to downshift on a hill.
I had a car that did that ('84 colt GTS) so I'm used to tapping my brake, but I'll look into the full wiring harness conversion later...

GdB said:
You probably don't get in this situation much in Plano, TX.
Cruise is almost useless in traffic, but on the highway is where it shines...

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
Well I'm mid-swap, just picked up the parts today and have the shifter & trim pieces in, the clutch pedal in (except for that @#$% top nut), and all the wiring clips & bolts loosened as I could get to. The downpipe refused to come off the turbo, I managed to wedge everything down enough to get the shifter out/in. One of the studs in the turbo actually came out instead of the nut coming off, so I would suggest investing in a can of PB blaster and soaking the heck out of them over the course of a few days to anyone who attempts the swap.

The hangups at this point are the auto axle bolts. The seller of the parts was kind enough to loan me his triple square bit he used for the manual axles, but it is way too small for the auto ones. I had to search online and order a set, hopefully it will arrive this week so I can wrap up the job.

Next on the lineup is the wiring. I thought I would go ahead and take care of that part while waiting on the tools. Can someone post a picture of what wires we are talking about, and where the TCM is located? I can't quite understand what I'm supposed to do... I think I unplugged about 6 clips from the auto tranny, so I have lots of wires floating about.

Was a solution ever discovered for the clutch safety switch? I have small children and don't want to have any accidents by them turning the key when it is parked and in gear.

alphaseinor

TDI
Triple square bits can be picked up in packs of four at autozone, o'reilly's, pep boys, they have a 1/2" hex drive.

The TCM is under the windsheild in the Golf/Jetta and you will need to unwrap a lot of things to get to it.

I haven't had a chance to look into the clutch safety switch. Since it's normally closed (when the plunger is down, and the pedal up) you will need some sort of a reversing relay, where it's going to do open when the switch is closed, and vice versa.

alphaseinor

TDI
You want to jump pins 11 to 63 on the transmission computer connector.

Since the reverse goes to the PN Relay under the dash, I can't remember if the blue/yellow on the transmission range sensor (the one on the rear of the transmission with 8 pins) needs to be connected to ground or 12v+... ground is "safer". Personally you can read what I did (I used 12v+ from the switch from the transmission range switch (black and green) to the blue/yellow on the other end of the switch... then plugged the plenum pass through onto another connector in the passthrough) that's on pages 3 and 4... Please note that I have a modified PN relay, so it's not exactly the same as yours... I did this for other reasons other than the swap (namely I needed a relay for "something else"... without running any extra wiring... The manual transmission version of the reverse switch can pull the voltage all the way to the tail lamps).

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Wiring Diagrams page 5, post # 65

chirorob,

Take a look at the Wiring Diagrams on page 5, post #65.

I cleaned up alphaseinor's diagrams. If something is still not clear, please comment or post a new diagram. I want the wiring as clear as possible for when I do my swap.

Thanks,
GdB

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
I looked at all the diagrams and read this entire thread at least 5x before even picking up the parts, but without seeing a photo I'm still a bit lost. I'll go digging under the windshield to see if I can find something other than the ECU.

I feel like a total idiot having to ask but what is a "plenum", and a PN relay?

Tools were sourced today at Carquest, I snagged a 8,10,12mm tri-square bit so hopefully I'm covered.

chirorob

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon auto
The '01 Jetta wagon has 10mm axle bolts on mine.

It took me forever to find the spot listed as being above the axle on the engine side, mine actually had a little metal and rubber (and grease) cap I had to pry out to see the area, and it wasn't really above the axle socket, but more toward the front of the vehicle.

Everything is disconnected now except the pendulum mount and one top bolt, I just need to go snag a coupler for the coolant lines before dropping the auto.

The project is coming along nicely, all the interior is done (and looking beautiful might I say!), hopefully the flywheel and clutch show up on Wednesday so I can finish up on Thursday.

alphaseinor

TDI
Plenum = the plastic thing under the windheild wipers, leads to the ECU in Golf/Jetta
PN Relay = Park Neutral relay. It's the relay that allows you to start the car in an automatic only if you are in park or neutral... It also houses a relay for the reverse lights on our cars.

alphaseinor

TDI
One of the things you need to know about the MY transmission, is don't use the eyelet for pulling the transmission from above, it will bend the eyelet for the shifter, and then you will need to either hammer it out, or buy a new one... This didn't happen to me, but I have read on other sites about this...

alphaseinor

TDI
I'll see what I can do tonight when I get back to my car... Pics on the way

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
alphaseinor,

Your description sounds a lot different than what I understood before.

You want to jump pins 11 to 63 on the transmission computer connector.
Since the reverse goes to the PN Relay under the dash, I can't remember if the blue/yellow on the transmission range sensor (the one on the rear of the transmission with 8 pins) needs to be connected to ground or 12v+... ground is "safer". Personally you can read what I did (I used 12v+ from the switch from the transmission range switch (black and green) to the blue/yellow on the other end of the switch... then plugged the plenum pass through onto another connector in the passthrough) that's on pages 3 and 4... Please note that I have a modified PN relay, so it's not exactly the same as yours... I did this for other reasons other than the swap (namely I needed a relay for "something else"... without running any extra wiring... The manual transmission version of the reverse switch can pull the voltage all the way to the tail lamps).

Is something wrong with the pictures I posted on page 5, post #65?

Please take a look at the Wiring Diagrams on page 5, post #65.

alphaseinor

TDI
Yes those are correct... if you look at the diagram, they can be wired up that way as well... if you want to remove the harness... I gave an alternate explaination with the harness in.