"03 TDI Wagon Will Not Stay Running

remwines

TDI
2003 GLS Wagon
I have read many threads regarding this common problem, but I must be missing something. My daughter drove the Jetta here and tried to leave an hour later, but it would only run for about a second and stop. She had been using the valet key for about a month and I have the fob key. Same problem happens with both keys.

Turned ignition switch on, all panel light come on , including the immo light, and they begin to systematically go off as normal. I start the car after the glow plug light goes out and it runs for a moment and shuts down. There is no flashing immo light. I scanned with the latest vcds program as well as the iCarSoft OBDII tool and find no codes. So I moved on to possible fuel issues.

I used a vacuum tester to draw fuel through the filter, no air bubbles. I did mess up and allowed air into the IP, so I cracked open all the injector lines at the injectors and turned the engine over for a long time until the fuel flowed clear of air bubbles. Still will not stay running and does not give codes.

Induction system is clear, tank is full of fuel. The Antishudder valve swings freely. There is 12v to the fuel shutoff solenoid and I can hear it click. I even removed the lead and ran a jumper from the battery + to the solenoid, but it still will not stay running. Even tried disconnecting the battery cables and putting them together for 30 seconds to reboot. No joy.

What did I miss? Is it possible to have an immobilization issue without a flashing immo light or fault codes?

remwines

TDI
2003 GLS Wagon
No. It cycles between firing momentarily followed by no firing, just cranks over. It seems to cycle like that consistently. I didn't mention it before because my original post was already lengthy. Thanks.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
That doesn't sound like an Immobilizer issue.
Have you inspected the timing belt for condition and tension/made certain everything is in place and still in proper time?

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
I know you said the anti-shudder valve moves freely. Have you actually watched to see if it stays open? Zip tie it open and try to start it, see if that makes a difference.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
What Elroy said. Zip tie it open, remove the vacuum hose to it and put a golf "T" in the hose end temporarily. Or have someone watch the ASV lever while you start the engine.

remwines

TDI
2003 GLS Wagon
I have not yet checked the timing belt and components, but will do that next. Current timing belt assembly has about 5 years and 50k miles on it.

I have held the anti-shudder valve open while someone else tried to start the engine. It made one difference. And I don't believe it is pulling itself open when the engine does start momentarily.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
How sure fuel is readily pulling from the tank?

How sure are you you got air out of the fuel system?

How well is fuel coming out when you crack injector lines?

When the engine quits and you go to restart does the engine spin really easy? (possible ASV)

If no codes are being thrown then this would seem like fuel or air (ASV).

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I have held the anti-shudder valve open while someone else tried to start the engine. It made one difference. And I don't believe it is pulling itself open when the engine does start momentarily.
The ASV should close for a second or two than open automatically when you shut the engine off.

If it hangs closed the engine may flutter a bit then crank fast. (as mentioned above)

To check, take the vacuum hose off of it, make sure the shutter is open and try starting the car.

Last see if there's a small air bubble in the high spot of the clear fuel line going to the injection pump. It should move when cranking.
No bubble may indicate no fuel in the line.

remwines

TDI
2003 GLS Wagon
Used a MityVac vacuum tester to draw fuel through the IP side of the filter. I drew 3 containers full (about a pint total) and had no bubbles and there was no residual vacuum on the gauge when finished.

After reinstalling the delivery hose to the IP, I cracked open the injector lines at the injectors and turned the engine over for a long period. Air did spurt out and I continued to turn the engine over well past the point of clear fuel to ensure no air was in the system.

The fuel flow at the injectors seemed consistent with the flow I have had in the past.

The engine spins normally. No dragging or odd noises noted.

Pulled the inlet hose off of the ASV and the plate is open, a little cruddy, but open.

IP was overhauled about 30K mile ago. Sure hope that's not it. I'm going to open the tank and pull the pickup/sending unit out just to make sure there is no restriction. Even though I was able to draw fuel through the fuel delivery system with my vacuum tool, after watching the videos on pickup obstructions, that may by the problem.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Have you checked that your static timing is still correct?
Flywheel at tdc, pin the pump and cam lock slides into position.
....just to rule that out.

remwines

TDI
2003 GLS Wagon
Maxmoo, I think a TB slip may be the problem. I've eliminated most of the other possibilities. Even pulled the sending unit/fuel pickup from the tank and it was clear. So it is kinda down to the TB. I installed a quality TB kit 55k miles ago and the IP was overhauled about 30K miles ago. I have too many irons in the fire right now to do a TB R&R, so it is going to a shop that specialized in diesel vehicles, including TDI's. They quoted just under $800 for the job using quality parts. Sounds like a deal to me. I can do this job myself, but this problem is going to fixed by the fellows that makes a living at it. Thanks to all for helping me narrowing down.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You need to find out IF it "slipped" or if it's some other issue(s) and not just go ahead with a TB replacement. Not much to determine IF it did or not. If it DID "slip", then there is going to be a lot more diagnostics (and cost) to find out if/how much resultant damage to valve(s)/lifters/etc. Again, more potential cost. Find out exactly what happened to what. First.