Tones/Beeps

fxdrider

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
I asked this over in the Dieselgate forum, but as yet no answers.

I just had the Emissions "Fix" applied to my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen last week. Since I got the car back, I've noticed that when I shut the car off, I hear 5 short high-pitched tones or beeps. It doesn't matter whether key is still in ignition or not, or whether door is open or not, or whether the seat-belt is still latched or not. Nothing lights up on the instrument display. It sounds like it's coming from the area of the radio. It's an aftermarket head unit - a Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS. I searched through both the VW owner's manual and the Pioneer's manual and can find nothing about these tones.

Anyone have an idea what they might be? I'm thinking I may have to take it back to the dealership and ask what it is. I didn't really want to go that route - the dealer is like the dentist. Not somewhere I care to be.

Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does that radio work on the CAN bus? Possible that during the reflash other modules also got software updates and/or the radio that was paired in some way with the car is no longer paired the same as it was before.

Who installed the radio?

fxdrider

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
Does that radio work on the CAN bus?
I doubt it. Other than power, antenna, and connection to the stock speakers, there's no other inter-connection between the radio unit and the car. No functional interaction either.

Who installed the radio?
Yours truly. I used one of the install kits from Crutchfield. It installed easily with no problems at all.

I installed it in the car 2 1/2 years ago. I would think the beeping would have shown up by now if there was some sort of pairing issue, but maybe not.

fxdrider

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
Eureka! I found the answer (and subsequently FEEL SO STUPID!!!)
The tones are emanating from the Pioneer head unit. They are an alarm to remind me to remove the Front Panel. Deactivating is a simple menu setting.

Back to normal.....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Glad you found it, as I was going to say don't bother to take it back to the dealer, as soon as they realize the sound is coming from your non-OEM radio, they'll likely tell you to pound sand. :p