Turbo whine / howl

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Hi Guys, advice more than anything please. I’ve had my golf estate With 2.0tdi BMM engine for almost 4 years, done 60,000 miles and pretty much all that time I’ve heard a turbo whine / faint howl. I keep checking for play in the shaft everytimw I drop the oil out ( around 6,000 miles). There’s a very small amount of play which hasn’t got any worse since I’ve owned the car. I maybe worrying over nothing but I have some big trips coming up this year with each trip covering 2-3,000 miles.
Would you guys recommend stripping the turbo, possibly replacing the turbo cartridge and cleaning the vanes or leave well alone? I also use liqui moly oil additive every oil change.
Do I just need to accept the whine is normal and keep going or is it the start of imminent failure? ?
Thanks everyone ?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Are you sure it's turbo whine? Mine still good at 250k miles. Change oil every 15k.

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Define a turbo whine. When the engine is hot it’s barely noticeable. If there vanes are getting dirty or carboned up could this make them a little noise?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Not sure about definition but if it is turbo whine, failure isn't far away. Get it replaced ASAP.

81-1.6

TDI
06 Jetta TDI PD
before you go to the expense of replacing your turbo check for boost leaks. I thought my '06 BRM turbo was going out until I discovered the whine was coming from a leak in my intercooler

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
My Egr cooler squeals a fair bit and has done since I’ve owned the car. Could that effect the turbo? I’m thinking of blanking my egr but not sure if that will effect the dpf doing its regen?

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Can I ask your advice please guys? As I work for Volkswagen I can buy a new turbocharger for £758 or a referbished one from eBay for £250 or the cartridge for £110 and rebuild it.
What would you guys go for? Thanks all for your help