Block heater on the 2015 TDI

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
I do think regardless milage or how new, waiting 3-5 mins after starting in sub-zero ambient will do more good then touching key, dumping drive, and flooring it....

Cold oil is evil oil.
Idling the engine for 3-5 minutes to warm up is more harm than good; the engine warms up the fastest when loaded, i.e. the car is driven. up to 45 sec of idling is fine, the oil circulates and lubricates the bearings.
Besides, in some places idling the cars is illegal.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hmm. I may have to review the owners manual again.

I suppose in the meantime, fire it up and start bouncing pistons @ 5k in a -20F* block

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
Hmm. I may have to review the owners manual again.

I suppose in the meantime, fire it up and start bouncing pistons @ 5k in a -20F* block
I think you can't get around bouncing pistons in either hot or cold weather but 5k is too much IMHO; just let it idle for 30-45 sec is just enough.
I don't think the user's manual recommends idling the engine for 5 min in cold weather to warm it up... they eventually advise the use of the block heater.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I think you can't get around bouncing pistons in either hot or cold weather but 5k is too much IMHO; just let it idle for 30-45 sec is just enough.
I don't think the user's manual recommends idling the engine for 5 min in cold weather to warm it up... they eventually advise the use of the block heater.
If it was bad, then they'd paint the red line in a different spot on the tach.

I was implying letting bore and pistons soak heat before loading. Not expecting warm air from vents.

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
If it was bad, then they'd paint the red line in a different spot on the tach.

I was implying letting bore and pistons soak heat before loading. Not expecting warm air from vents.
I don't want to start an argument... however, redlining a cold engine is always a bad idea; whether you idle it 45 sec or 5 minutes is a matter of personal preference and common sense, everyone knowns better so I'm not giving advice here. Using the block heater saves the day when it's really cold.
I idle it not more than 45 sec and it works for me and my cars, it always did; I know people starting the engine with the remote and idling it for 15 min so it is warm inside when they start... just laughable: bad for the engine and environment alike.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
. however, redlining a cold engine is always a bad idea.

I looked in the manual, didn't see anything about that. Called dealer and they said if it's not printed in manual as a warning to avoid, it's OK, hot or cold.

They said the computer will limit rpm to avoid any damages regarding any temperature.

/me shrugs.

Away I go.

glick

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Owners manual pretty clearly states to not idle to warm the engine, but to start driving fairly quickly after starting the care but to take it easily until the car is at operating temperature. (going from memory, but if necessary I can look up the page number and exact quote).

I usually use the manual mode to keep rpms in the 1800-2200 range until nice and warm (city driving) so tend to do alot of 4th gear driving (4th at 2k holds 80kmph quite well).

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Owners manual pretty clearly states to not idle to warm the engine, but to start driving fairly quickly after starting the care but to take it easily until the car is at operating temperature. (going from memory, but if necessary I can look up the page number and exact quote).

I usually use the manual mode to keep rpms in the 1800-2200 range until nice and warm (city driving) so tend to do alot of 4th gear driving (4th at 2k holds 80kmph quite well).
Precisely. I don't idle to let it warm up anymore. It's been stated.

And dealer confirmed it's OK to Rev engine at any speed the ecm allows. They stated and were confident ecm can safely handle the engine regardless of conditions.

So today it was -41* F. Left it unplugged, got in, belted, Fired it up, twice. 1st plug cycle only got a couple of pops, turned off traction control, dumped it into drive, And held it to the floor. Overall 20 secs tops?

See how many miles I get out of it.

aldebaran

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Highline TDI
Precisely. I don't idle to let it warm up anymore. It's been stated.

And dealer confirmed it's OK to Rev engine at any speed the ecm allows. They stated and were confident ecm can safely handle the engine regardless of conditions.

So today it was -41* F. Left it unplugged, got in, belted, Fired it up, twice. 1st plug cycle only got a couple of pops, turned off traction control, dumped it into drive, And held it to the floor. Overall 20 secs tops?

See how many miles I get out of it.
Read this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Dealer supersedes a post. They knows what they made. All guidelines are printed in the owners manual.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
it's your car...

They make new cars everyday. Parking lots with thousands of them. Millions. What's my one car I bought? Always can buy another. Mine will be worth nothing like the 200 I had crushed last year, regardless how well it's mechanically maintained, a rusty body is worth nothing. Rarely are cars an investment.

So drive it to the limits before it has Flintstone brakes

thsheet

TDI
2014 PASSAT
I agree with the idea of not idling for a long time to warm up the engine.

However, when its really cold out ( below -25 C) there are other things such as hydraulic pumps, water pumps and so on that could use a little warming up before a load is put on them. Also, if you are doing a lot of short drives in very cold weather, a little extra time with the engine running will help to charge the bats.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
My owners manual has nice discussion related to the temperature gauge, and advises not subjecting the engine to high loads until it gets a notch or two above 120 indicated.

jerryfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS sedan @295K, 99 Jetta sedan 275k,. 2015 tdi sedan, 105k
I'm confident that the 2015 jetta TDi doesn't have an electric heater

im pretty sure mine does.

i have hot air in my 2015 before i drive a mile

i have to drive 5 miles in my 99, 02, or 04 before it even starts to get warm

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 13.6K RIP:04 Jetta TDI 285K
Probably in the block itself, I did not check; factory installed with a discreet power supply socket on the left corner of the front bumper, no hanging cables; the cable proper is detachable and has a plug that matches the socket.
Good discussion about heaters! I'm gonna try the "Full Heat - Fan 3 or above" tomorrow and see if heat comes sooner. I just purchased my 2015 Jetta SE and I am hoping I have a factory heater in mine.
I piggy backed off this thread from aldebaran because I would like to know exactly where to look to find it (if its there at all)...I'm not sure but I think my vehicle was made by the good people below us in Mexico (if that indicates or has a factor in whether my vehicle has one or not).
I have a 1997 F-350 with a 7.3 diesel and I use the block heater as soon as it drops below 40* Fahrenheit! (when I plan on using it....long story for another day). I really like my heater in that vehicle mostly because I leave the defrost lever "ON" and when I go to start the vehicle the windshield is warm and clear! I mean it deters ice and snow...IF the snow does accumulate it slides right off easily.
SO, if someone can help me look by explaining what I'm looking for....That would be great! Not "that would be great" like from Office Space but That Would Be GREAT! like Thanks!!!

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 13.6K RIP:04 Jetta TDI 285K
Good discussion about heaters! I'm gonna try the "Full Heat - Fan 3 or above" tomorrow and see if heat comes sooner. I just purchased my 2015 Jetta SE and I am hoping I have a factory heater in mine.
I piggy backed off this thread from aldebaran because I would like to know exactly where to look to find it (if its there at all)...I'm not sure but I think my vehicle was made by the good people below us in Mexico (if that indicates or has a factor in whether my vehicle has one or not).
I have a 1997 F-350 with a 7.3 diesel and I use the block heater as soon as it drops below 40* Fahrenheit! (when I plan on using it....long story for another day). I really like my heater in that vehicle mostly because I leave the defrost lever "ON" and when I go to start the vehicle the windshield is warm and clear! I mean it deters ice and snow...IF the snow does accumulate it slides right off easily.
SO, if someone can help me look by explaining what I'm looking for....That would be great! Not "that would be great" like from Office Space but That Would Be GREAT! like Thanks!!!
OK, I hopped in the buggy this morning with heat ON and Fan ON HIGH and all I did was froze my butt off due to the wind chill until the actual heat from the water temp rose. Maybe I did something wrong?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I have a 2015 with in line heater as it came from factory. They use inline heaters not block heater as they no longer have frost plugs because a block can still Crack from coolant freezing even with useless frost plugs as they don't alway pop out to save the block. I have seen it in the past on different engines, frost plugs still in place and a cracked block from freezing. Always test the coolant every year and change it every 3 years.
I Don't use the heater, as no electrical plug near my car where I park in my condo parking. The temperature this morning in Condon parking was -2 degs C outside -11. If the heaters are the same as my 2010 tdi I do believe they are only some 450 watts. 450 watts would be 3.75 amps at 120 volts

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I think the word frost plug is incorrectly implemented. I'll admit I say it too.

Depending on block design it's used for the casting process. I've gotten a lot of sand washed out of my small block ****ty 350 I just redid.

Since vw uses a different design of block they can cast the aluminum without using 'frost' plugs.

Who runs straight water anyways?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
You can tell pretty well when that auxiliary heater is on. The voltage drops from 14.5v to 14.7v down to 14.2v or lower. It draws 80amps... It's the single reason we have 140amp alternators now.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I don't think my car has it. It's the s trim. And it's not checked in the hvac module.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Stick your head in the footwell of the driver side and have a look at the center console. The auxiliary heater will be sandwiched directly in front of the heater core. On the Jetta you can clearly see the giant wires without removing any covers. I have an S model and it is present.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
'15 s golf sportwagen.

Checking the option to turn it on in vcds throws codes.

No wires., no element.

Should I complain?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Wait! I was recalling the wrong module.

Is the error correlated to aux?

Once is engine module. Other is hvac. Code is from hvac module.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I can't see to apply the aux in the engine module. First it said rpm too high. So I killed engine, then it just said rejected.

There's yet another option for parking heater. Not sure what that is all about.

Ideas?

With the current settings, the code in memory, and the fact I'm driving 5 miles before any heat comes out... Do I have an issue or is this normal?

What's bidirectional climate?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
OK, I hopped in the buggy this morning with heat ON and Fan ON HIGH and all I did was froze my butt off due to the wind chill until the actual heat from the water temp rose. Maybe I did something wrong?
The TDI comes with a 1,000 watt supplemental electric heating element in the HVAC system. It will turn on and off automatically to provide the most heat possible when it's cold.

Turning the fan up to high will only overwhelm this small heater with more cold airflow than it can handle.

For the best cabin heating experience, set the fan to 1 or 2 until the coolant temperature is sufficient to heat higher volumes of air.

Note that the 1 kW supplemental HVAC heater is NOT the same thing as an engine block heater (or inline heater, as some people like to call it). A block heater plugs into a wall outlet while the standard supplemental heater runs off of the vehicle's 12 volt electrical system. A block heater heats up the engine, while the supplemental HVAC heater heats up the vehicle's interior.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I can't see to apply the aux in the engine module. First it said rpm too high. So I killed engine, then it just said rejected.

There's yet another option for parking heater. Not sure what that is all about.

Ideas?

With the current settings, the code in memory, and the fact I'm driving 5 miles before any heat comes out... Do I have an issue or is this normal?

What's bidirectional climate?

Parking heater is an optional Webasto Thermo Top C diesel-fired auxiliary heater. This option is most common in Europe and came standard in North America on V10 TDI Touaregs.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
'15 s golf sportwagen.
Checking the option to turn it on in vcds throws codes.
No wires., no element.
Should I complain?
I didn't read that you had a Golf, sorry... tiny screen on phone. At one point I had four 2015 TDIs at my house, storing them for a friend waiting on dieselgate. A Passat and two Jettas had the heater. The Golf s did not... There was a blank plate in it's place.
It's very easy to see on the Mk6 Jetta. Not as easy to see on the mk7 golf. I took this photo to show you where it would be relative to the heater core. Good luck.